Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
hey gang,
just working into my new/used powerbook here (refurb from apple- 12 inch rev A) and i can't seem to find appleworks anywhere. was i wrong in assuming that the book would ship with some sort of productivity software? all that i can seem to find is a 30 trial of microsoft office. i can't imagine they would ship without some sort of word processor, but i've been wrong before. please enlighten me here.

andy

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Were you given a software restore cd? It should be on there. I don't know why it wouldn't have already been on the machine. Maybe it wasn't included with that model? Although, I thought it was included with all of them.

edit: ok, nevermind :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
iBook = AppleWorks + games = Consumer SW Bundle

PowerBook = Office Trial + stuff = Professional SW Bundle

---

No Appleworks on the professional machines. Buy it, it's cheap.

stoid

macrumors 601
The iComputers (iMac, iBook) and eMacs (I think) ship with much more software than PowerComputers (PowerBook, PowerMacs). Apple saves money on the PowerComputers by not shipping it with that software because they expect you probably already have your software picked out.

Try TextEdit for basic word processing needs, it's better than you think. Don't know about spreadsheet and database needs though.

andy74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
dang

think before ya buy, right? oh well. i already ponied up 70 bucks last night to get quicken as i didn't realize powerbooks shipped with quickbooks instead. now i'll have to shell out for appleworks or office student edition. good thing i bought a refurb.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Man, w/ all the software you're buying, looks like you should've bought an iBook. Includes all the software you mentioned for free and it's cheaper than the PB... meh, you're money.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Yep, not free on PB, only on iBook. In your situation though, why spend $80 on outdated Appleworks when you can buy MS Office 2004 for only a little more. I just got Office today and let me tell you, it is nice. Go for it.

JOD8FY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.