Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
bodeh6 said:
Definitely get a good laptop bag. I got my Samsonite L35 for my 14" iBook and love it even though I don't have my iBook yet. The L45 will fit it nicely

16823_sq250.jpg

http://www.ebags.com/samsonite/l45_notebook_plus_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=16823

I have this for a 17" full screen acer I had. I am selling it I think. 2 months old and now it just sits.
Best bag I ever had, but I got a timbuk for school which is better because it is more casual.

And you selling your dell and getting an apple is a good idea.
you selling your dell is the best move you'll ever make.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Is there any specific software I should not do without?

I did pick up Office 2004 for Mac today at school (yeah, still Microsoft), but it only cost me $19.95...hard to beat.

Thanks again for all the input! This wait is going to kill me I know...

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Uh, I am tired of waiting already!!!

Over the weekend the website said my PB was in the "Sent to Manufacturing" stage and the estimated ship date was 8/15/05. This morning it updated to "Preparing for Shipment" but the estimated ship date is still 8/15/05.

How long does the prep for shipment phase normally take??

Can't wait, my Dell 24" LCD shows up tomorrow!

Thanks

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
YES! going from mac to pc is like going from eating ants to eating a 3 course italian feast. Way more interesting and more stable... ok not so good analogy. But still, yes, the right choice.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I just sold my Dell tower to get a 15" powerbook as well so we are in the same boat :D I hope we enjoy our new powerbooks... i'm confident we made the right choice :)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ckeck said:
Uh, I am tired of waiting already!!!

Over the weekend the website said my PB was in the "Sent to Manufacturing" stage and the estimated ship date was 8/15/05. This morning it updated to "Preparing for Shipment" but the estimated ship date is still 8/15/05.

How long does the prep for shipment phase normally take??

Can't wait, my Dell 24" LCD shows up tomorrow!

Thanks

For Me it shipped less then 24 hours after saying "Preparing for Shipment"

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
epepper9 said:
YES! going from mac to pc is like going from eating ants to eating a 3 course italian feast. Way more interesting and more stable... ok not so good analogy. But still, yes, the right choice.

You mean going from PC to Mac? :D

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Chrispy said:
I just sold my Dell tower to get a 15" powerbook as well so we are in the same boat :D I hope we enjoy our new powerbooks... i'm confident we made the right choice :)

Me too, I picked up a good book on Tiger and can't wait to tweak out my system! Let me know what you think when you get yours!

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
bodeh6 said:
For Me it shipped less then 24 hours after saying "Preparing for Shipment"

Great news...hopefully mine will ship by tomorrow at latest...and MAYBE BY SOME SMALL MIRACLE I can get it before the weekend. Doubtful though :(

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I finally got it!! Came in this morning :D This thing is great...

I brought it to work with me, but its been so busy I really have not been able to do much, one question though:

How come when I press F9 I don't see all the open windows? I have to press Fn+F9...

When I press F12 for Dashboard, that works just fine though...any thoughts?

Also just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me making the right decision to buy this computer :rolleyes:

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
mad jew said:
It's just because those buttons have been assigned two different tasks. You can switch them back to Exposé in the System Preferences though. :)

Thanks, I will check there and see if I can fix it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Welcome aboard!

I can recommend a Tom Bihn Brain Cell case if you want maximum protection in a case that's as small as possible (but still has handles and an extra pocket). http://tombihn.com

In System Preferences > Keyboard you can set whether the F keys work as F keys (Dashboard, Exposé, program shortcuts) or as volume/brightness/etc.... and either way, just hold Fn to get the opposite function. Other relevant prefs: Exposé (where you pick what keys control that), and also Keyboard Shortcuts (within Keyboard) where you can change LOTS of key commands, even just for specific apps.

Poke around three places and you'll find lots of ways to customize your 'Book:

1. System Preferences

2. Preferences within each app (including Finder)

3. The View menu in each app (especially Finder--different kinds of window have different View Options)

Have fun!

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
One question...

Is there a special way to insert a CD/DVD? :eek:

I took me 15 trys to get a CD to get sucked in the drive properly...every other time is goes in, then comes back out...

One CD would not go in and spin up at all, but I grabbed a different one and it went in fine...whats going on?!?!?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nothing special. Label side up, push it in the slot most of the way and it gets sucked in.

Try different discs first--maybe you've got a damaged (or copy-protected) one.

It is also just possible, I think, for that kind of behavior to be caused by a software glitch rather than anything physical: I once had a bad DVD that didn't want to eject, and when it finally popped out (I just had to wait), the computer wouldn't accept other discs, just like you describe. It was like the DVD drive took a long time before realizing the old disc was gone and it could take a new one. I don't remember if I powered off and back on (you could try that), or if it just resolved itself when I waited (which OS X glitches have a tendency to do).

But you may well have a physical problem like some debris stuck inside, or a bad (scratched?) disc, or a bad optical drive. If you live near an Apple Store that's easy to check at the Genius Bar. If not, Apple will probably send you a shipping box (or you can carry it to the nearest repair location listed online) if they can't help you solve it on your own.

Related note: there IS a "trick" to ejecting. You have to HOLD the eject key down for a moment (quarter second) or it won't eject. That's a safety feature so the disc doesn't eject accidentally if you quickly hit Eject instead of Delete. (Or, just drag the disc to the trach/eject icon, or click it and choose Eject, Command-E.)

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.