Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
It's too bad. We pay almost double what other manufacturers charge because we trust their build and QA, so it's disappointing when this stuff happens and you buy other machines of theirs in the meantime. You've essentially rewarded them with more money for your previous hardware failure

Buy ToughBooks?

ezatech

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
2011 was a bad GPU year

2011 was a bad GPU year for Apple it seems. I had my 2011 model iMac fail THREE times with the GPU, getting it replaced. Seems like a lot of devices had a batch of faulty GPUs in both Macbook Pro and iMac.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
My Early 2011 15" had that problem. Several times a day my screen displayed garbage and the whole computer froze up. If I manually switched to integrated graphics, it was fine, but if you connect an external display, it always switches to dedicated graphics. After a while it was impossible to boot the system, not even to recovery mode, or an external backup. Apple couldn't even run their own diagnostic software, because it froze before it loaded. I'm not on Apple Care, but they replaced the logic board for free. :p I've upgraded to the newest retina MBP since then, which is completely silent and cold to the touch even after a full day of work (I'm running multiple VMs all day). The 2011 model was like a vacuum cleaner, and you could fry eggs on it after 5 minutes. I can only recommend Haswell chips, they produce no heat whatsoever, and the average people don't need a dedicated GPU anymore.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I had this issue about a half a year back on my Early 2011 machine. Didn't buy AppleCare so I was really considering my options: not worth repairing, repair and sell, sell broken, or leave aside and get a new machine?

After some chats with my local store they said they would do it for no charge. Yes, at the time I was thinking that Apple had done me a favour but now I'm thinking they probably knew of this issue back then. Either way, I am very grateful they fixed it for me. I know some people would've had vastly less luck. Hopefully it's been getting easier for more recent issues to get fixed.

Wonder if they'll refund anyone who gave in and paid for the fix?

compcaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
I am one of the affected and if Apple would at least acknowledge the issue, it would go a long way. I currently have a $3k paperweight.

I plan on moving to Android for my next phone and have already purchased a new HP laptop because I can't risk losing another $3k.

It's really sad as I have been a 'PC Guy' for 15 years, finally bought my first Apple laptop for it's reliability and then this happened.

Disappointing.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
No offence MacRumors but you make a post about this but not about the Yellow Screen problems affecting brand new rMBP's?

Come on.. atleast run a story on it. There is like a 70 page thread in your own forums about it.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Late 2011, 15 inch MacBook Pro here, been using it nonstop pretty much since March 2012.

don't do much gaming at all on it, just HD movie, average joe stuff. i do alot of CPU intensive stuff though.

don't think i've experienced this issue but can definitely say its a machine that runs hot easily if you start using the CPU a bit.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
No offence MacRumors but you make a post about this but not about the Yellow Screen problems affecting brand new rMBP's?

Come on.. atleast run a story on it. There is like a 70 page thread in your own forums about it.

Agreed. I'm waiting for my 2nd screen exchange. Hopefully the replacement won't have that uneven yellow mask.

memyselfandhai

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
The same thing happened to me too this last Christmas. Luckily I have a few months left on my Applecare and they replaced the logic board at no cost. Just like somebody posted earlier, the one I'm currently using was actually given to me free when my 08 unibody had problems. I've had pretty good luck with AppleCare the last few years, but when this one gives out, I'll probably get my next laptop at Best Buy and get their Geek Squad Protection because it covers accidents as well.

As far as reliability goes, when I upgraded to a MBP, I gave my sister my Core 2 Duo blackbook, and it's running like a champ thanks to a recent SSD upgrade.

Last edited:

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Not Surprised One Bit...

From day 1, my 2011 15" MBP ran with fans blasting anytime the discrete 6770M was in use. The fans would pull 5k RPM 24/7 with just my machine sitting idle with an external display attached (the 2011 MBP moves to discrete GPU when an external display is attached).

I opened it up to see this. Amazing what a cleaning and PROPER application of a GOOD thermal paste can do. Fans now at just under 3k with discrete GPU running.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 3.40.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 3.40.08 PM.png
    850.6 KB · Views: 226

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I doubt this correlates since it's likely a graphics card/logic board issue and not a display issue; but I noticed that all the pictures in the article show glossy 2011 MBPs. I have a matte screen and have not noticed any issues so far with my early-2011 AMD 6750M with 1 GB of RAM. Fingers crossed.

Are there any folks out there with 2011 MBPs with matte displays that have had this problem?

Renzatic

Suspended
interdasting

replace a $2,000 laptop every 3 years

We're Apple people. We laugh at the PC lemmings because they have to constantly update their computers every other year, while we buy computers designed to last for a decade because they're built with quality parts and durability in mind.

...then sell them off and upgrade every other year to get the latest and greatest.

asterizk

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Sarasota, Florida
I've got a mid-2010 MBP and can confirm this. The most common problem what I can only call "diagonal screen garbage" across individual windows. I had a theory that it was heat-related, but after months of running a temperature monitoring application ("Hardware Monitor Lite") I've pretty much ruled that out. This machine is typically also driving a 30" HP ZR30w external display. Sometimes the 30" blacks out for a few seconds as well.

I work in a computer repaire shop and the 2010 mbp's are coming in more and more with the graphics falling aswell, repair means replacing the logic, so i hope for the people who are having these problems , that apple will give out an extended warranty for effected machines like they did with the 2008 nvidia machines.

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
We're Apple people. We laugh at the PC lemmings because they have to constantly update their computers every other year, while we buy computers designed to last for a decade because they're built with quality parts and durability in mind.

...then sell them off and upgrade every other year to get the latest and greatest.

People still use IBM ThinkPads that are over 10 years old. I don't know what you are talking about.

----------

This is why user replaceable gpu's are the best. Aside from hdd's, the gpu is most prone to failure.

But Apple fans don't believe in user replaceable GPUs.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
I doubt this correlates since it's likely a graphics card/logic board issue and not a display issue; but I noticed that all the pictures in the article show glossy 2011 MBPs. I have a matte screen and have not noticed any issues so far with my early-2011 AMD 6750M with 1 GB of RAM. Fingers crossed.

Are there any folks out there with 2011 MBPs with matte displays that have had this problem?

MBP early 2011, 15" matte hi-res, no problems yet. i'm running it on integrated graphics most of the time, though.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Besides gaming laptops and workstations?

YES.

What CONSUMER laptops that are moving in quantity have a better option?

I'm tired about hearing about the gaming community, they are niche and not a representation of the norm in any way shape or form.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I am one of the affected and if Apple would at least acknowledge the issue, it would go a long way. I currently have a $3k paperweight.

I plan on moving to Android for my next phone and have already purchased a new HP laptop because I can't risk losing another $3k.

It's really sad as I have been a 'PC Guy' for 15 years, finally bought my first Apple laptop for it's reliability and then this happened.

Disappointing.

Sad. My first Mac was a white Macbook Unibody, late-2009. To me it was a great experience. Upgradeable, solid and the only issue was the rubberish base which was promptly replaced after warranty. Never had a laptop PC as solid before. Later I bought a Mac Mini (mid-2010), which is also great as HTPC. I plan upgrading it to 16GB+SSD at some moment allowing it to live even longer.

My latest experience wasn't good though. After going home with my rMBP I noted image persistence, and after had its screen replaced, got uneven yellowing. I'm not too hopeful I'll get a decent one next time, but I'll keep trying as I paid around USD 3200,00 for this machine (Brazil price). I was almost going back to the PC world with a Dell Precision, but I decided for Apple because of good experiences straight out of the box.

I still believe Apple will provide a silent recall for complaining consumers of 2011 MBPs and 2013 rMBPs, but until then we have to wait with our paperweights or disturbing screens.

Aleco

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
My 2010 model did this, Apple replaced it with the 2011 edition free of charge and it's doing the same thing.
(13")
I remember when the genius bar guy told me it was a RAM issue... smh

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
YES.

What CONSUMER laptops that are moving in quantity have a better option?

I'm tired about hearing about the gaming community, they are niche and not a representation of the norm in any way shape or form.

Regular consumers aren't supposed to change parts. Changing RAM modules , HDDs , batteries , etc. are all too hard for standard consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.