Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerror

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
He guys,
I just bought a digital videocamera and it rocks.
Only problem is my 10 gig hd. I want to buy an extra firewire hd.
Can you give me suggestions about how many gig i should buy. Cause the camera took most of my money for the moment, so I can't spend that much right now.
Thanx,
Gerror

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It depends, does physical size matter to you, or does storage amount matter more? If you want to get the most GB per dollar, go with a firewire drive that uses the 3-1/2" hard drives. From feedback I have received, ezquest, lacie and vst/smartdisk all offer good products. You could also pick up an enclosure from OWC and then get your own ATA hard drive and toss that into it. The advantage of doing your own, is that if you have an ATA hard drive already, you can use it with a FireWire equiped Mac. I have one of the enclosures (the cool metal looking one) as well as a VST Thin Titanium drives (30GB). I will be [soon] getting an enclosure for my 60GB IBM (laptop) drive so that I can access that as well.

You need to figure out how much you have to spend, and how many GB you really need now (and then figure how much you need for the next 6 months or so). Does your Mac have a burner inside of it (cd or dvd)? If it does, then you might want to consider just backing things up to media often. Or you could get a fast burner for a few dollars ($200 or less will get you either a 24x or 32x at this point).

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
What kind of Camera? Um, for and HD, I dont know. If you would be burning to DVDs, you could get an external superdrive. What tyoe of Computer is it?

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Originally posted by AlphaTech
It depends, does physical size matter to you, or does storage amount matter more? If you want to get the most GB per dollar, go with a firewire drive that uses the 3-1/2" hard drives. From feedback I have received, ezquest, lacie and vst/smartdisk all offer good products. You could also pick up an enclosure from OWC and then get your own ATA hard drive and toss that into it. The advantage of doing your own, is that if you have an ATA hard drive already, you can use it with a FireWire equiped Mac. I have one of the enclosures (the cool metal looking one) as well as a VST Thin Titanium drives (30GB). I will be [soon] getting an enclosure for my 60GB IBM (laptop) drive so that I can access that as well...

yeah.. alpha is totally on the spot... i wouldnt recommend, however, Lacie Pocketdrives -- ive found them to be very noisy and quite obnoxious... not that youd necessarilly get one, but jus a tip..

bonehead

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2002
Lost Angeles
I bought a LaCie 80GB external HD for video storage for my (somewhat) new Mac. I work in post-production and other people I know recommended LaCie drives. They seem to be reliable and not too expensive. It's a bummer about the Pocket Drive being noisy. I was considering getting one for a more portable external storage solution. Whatever you get, get a 7200rpm drive. Video requires a ton of bandwith and the faster the drive the better. Does anyone know if current drive speeds, meaning throughput, exceed the limits of the FireWire bus?

rootuser

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2002
I recommend LaCie. Not one problem since I got mine seven months ago, even with several large transfers and system software installations. I have a 80 GB which is fine for me, but then again I don't deal with a lot of DV. Maybe try the 100 or 120 GB drive out there by LaCie (I can't remember which). Oh, and they have one of the best sustained transfer rates at 400 mbits aka 50 mbytes per second.

gerror

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
Thanx Guys,
I will buy a Lacie. Probably in august cause holyday is coming up. And France isn't cheap ;)
Gerror

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.