Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
i find this thread interesting, but not as interesting as what happened for me and my wife... we both have verizon iphones, and we both plug them in at night and use them on each side of the bed as clocks. when i checked the time on mine sunday morning, it was still set to DST. Her's was set to STD time. mine didnt change until i cycled the power.

so, all this bull about it being the network, and not the phone... i dont buy it. it wasnt a big deal, but it was certainly an interesting one.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
We have two AT&T iPhone 4's running iOS 4.2.1 and out of the blue today one of them was an hour off. This is strange because both automatically set their clocks ahead correctly yesterday.

crhudy1985

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
My iPhone 3GS switched over fine yesterday and then I woke up this morning to it being an hour behind. Not sure what happened. But now I am going to be late for work... Great.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My AT&T iPhone 4 just woke me up an hour early this morning. It adjusted the DST correctly yesterday, however. This really pisses me off because waking up at 6am is already as early as it is, but instead, the stupid phone woke me up at 5am...

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I have an AT&T iPhone 4 running 4.2.1. The time changed correctly, but my alarm didn't go off this morning. I have a repeating alarm on weekdays for 7:15am and it never sounded. Timing was worse too because my body still thinks its an hour earlier so I didn't wake up on my own like I probably would have otherwise. Going to reboot and see if it works tomorrow, with a backup.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
My AT&T iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 changed appropriately on Sunday morning. However, midnight this morning the time went back an hour. I rebooted the phone and the time corrected itself. Glad I went to sleep late.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I didn't have a problem with time change or alarm on Sunday on my iPhone 4 on AT&T, which is a good thing since I have to be up at 6:15-6:30 am to make it to the church early enough for sound/equipment check and warm ups by 8:00. It went off at the same time that my alarm clock (set manually) and my Verizon phone from work. My phone is currently running iOS 4.2.1, my MacBook Pro is running OS X 10.6.6, and all are connected to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station with the latest firmware (7.5.???) and using Apple's time server.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
I was up when the clock rolled over at midnight. It jumped to 1 AM, however my alarm went off an hour early. So the time was right, but the clock app wasn't reading it correctly.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My AT&T iPhone 4 just woke me up an hour early this morning. It adjusted the DST correctly yesterday, however. This really pisses me off because waking up at 6am is already as early as it is, but instead, the stupid phone woke me up at 5am...

Same here...at least you weren't an hour late!

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I had a problem that day with 2 ATT iphones. I live in Arizona and the phone changed time by an hour but Arizona does not change times. One of the few things you can say Arizona is enlightened about.

By mid morning the problem was fixed. One daily alarm went off an hour late but it wasn't critical.

I searched the web and found reports that this is an annual problem in Arizona for ATT phones, not just the iphone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why's it so difficult for them to get the clock working correctly?

Apple proudly says that they run things like a startup, with coders wearing multiple hats.

Switching developers between OSes and devices every few months to pump out the next revision, is not conducive to well tested and thought out code... no matter what non-developer high level managers think.

Note that I'm usually the first to defend mistakes in DST code, having suffered at its hands myself. However, this is going on too long.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Apple proudly says that they run things like a startup, with coders wearing multiple hats.

Switching developers between OSes and devices every few months to pump out the next revision, is not conducive to well tested and thought out code... no matter what non-developer high level managers think.

(This is a common problem in today's economy. Many bosses have found that they can "make do" with fewer developers. The coding results can often be a house of cards.)

Ironically, Apple brags about having tons of money, but they stash it overseas instead of using it to buy more developers at home. Penny wise, pound foolish.
They have plenty of money "at home" to pay for extra developers. Apple has never worked this way. Jobs likes small teams of "highly talented people." He can drive the wipe much easier that way :D

ezl

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
i find this thread interesting, but not as interesting as what happened for me and my wife... we both have verizon iphones, and we both plug them in at night and use them on each side of the bed as clocks. when i checked the time on mine sunday morning, it was still set to DST. Her's was set to STD time. mine didnt change until i cycled the power.

so, all this bull about it being the network, and not the phone... i dont buy it. it wasnt a big deal, but it was certainly an interesting one.

My wife and I had something similar happen (we're on AT&T). Both our phones were fine through most of Sunday. Sunday night when we went to bed she went to set her alarm and the phone had rolled back an hour but mine was still fine. We don't really know when during the day her time changed back. She power cycled the phone and all was well. (Well, to be specific, when the lock screen came up the time was still off, but was correct when she opened to the main screen.)

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have a Verizon iPhone, and I had it happen. At midnight last night, my phone rolled back to 11pm. I went in to change it manually, and turning off DST corrected it. I left DST and rebooted my phone, and its worked perfectly since. It stayed at midnight then, and this morning, it has successfully rolled forward.

So yes, there is a bug, but a reboot fixed it for me.
redacted

Last edited:

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

Note that I'm usually the first to defend mistakes in DST code, having suffered at its hands myself. However, this is going on too long.

I wonder how many started the fuss when nothing happened after midnight? Even in this thread it is mentioned. It is 2 a.m. of course. I suspect a lot of FUD on this one. As a 35 year Apple veteran this home has many Apple products and everything changed perfectly.

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
My alarm isn't ringing at all and hasn't since the time change. Could I get a replacement at the Apple Store for this? I'm fine with an actual alarm clock at home but do use the iPhone when traveling.

coolcallie

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Florida
This is bizarre: My AT&T iPhone 3G displayed the correct time this morning, however as I go to bed, it is an hour behind. I went to the Date/Time settings and made sure that it was set to automatically adjust the time. When I turned off the auto adjust, it displayed the correct time for my time zone. When I turn the auto adjust back on, the clock goes back an hour. :confused:

I did the same things with the same result with my Eastern time zone ATT iPhone 4G: it was an hour behind with the auto adjust on, correct with it off. Story about the glitch in local paper suggested turning airplane mode on, then off.

That worked. It's been fine since. (Maybe it acted as a reboot?)

(Newbie here and didn't fill in profile yet: MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.6,; iBook OS10.4.x; iPhone 4G)

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
They had it right back in 3.1.2, because I'm on a jailbroken 3GS running that with no alarm/savings time issues at all. I haven't synced my iPhone in over a year! I know, crazy... But I have my backgrounding and stuff, and it's working better than my GFs current & updated iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.