Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
So, continuing my quest to get rid of the cable dvr boxes, I have found a few different tv tuners that I can hook up to my mac to take over this function. Theres eyetv hd that can record from a digital cable box but only has one tuner, thus one show at a time. There's the homerun hd that has two tuners, but only works on basic cable. Also, the homerun seems to have to be plugged into your router and stream everything and I'm wondering about quality if the content is streamed over a wi fi. Never tried it, so I don't know. Third, there's ATI TV wonder for mac which is similar to homerun but is connected directly to the computer by usb, but it doesn't record in mpeg4 so I'd have to convert everything if I wanted to stream it to my bedroom on an Apple tv. Are there products that I'm missing? Any suggestions? Have you tried any of these? What do you think? What is your setup like?

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
You should look at the upcoming HDHomerun Prime. Its a network attached multi tuner cable card device. I currently have an ATI Cable Card Tuner, it works only with Windows but allows me to record and send video via windows medie center to multiple tvs, its only one tuner. I plan to upgrade to the HDHomerun Prime when released because it will work with PC and hopefully Mac and have multiple tuners. The cost of the single cable card is 1.99 per month on comcast vs. close to 10 per month for HD cable box.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Any idea when it's coming out? Would you have to get a card for each tuner?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.