Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
I've got a few more...

1. What is Interference Robustness, and why should/shouldn't I use it?

2. Does enabling security on a wireless network decrease its range/signal strength?

Thanks!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
asherman13 said:

1. What is Interference Robustness, and why should/shouldn't I use it?
It adds additional error checking and repairing/resending routines to your wireless connection to help eliminate or minimize intermittent interference by cordless phones, microwaves, third-rail trains, etc... It can reduce through-put.

asherman13 said:
2. Does enabling security on a wireless network decrease its range/signal strength?
Thanks!

No, but reducing the output power/radius of the base-station is a way of providing better security by reducing the area that your signal can effectively be detected and used.

While using WPA won't reduce the radius of the signal, it may slow down and cause some kinds of streams to become stilted to down grade because decrypting and encrypting the information back and forth (mostly down stream) can be taxing on your system. If you’re running into problems try dumming down your security (if you’re not too worried- I'm not). I think that it also affects the lag on AirTunes.

If you click on the Finder and then select Apple Help, it should cover this in some form.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Eniregnat said:
It adds additional error checking and repairing/resending routines to your wireless connection to help eliminate or minimize intermittent interference by cordless phones, microwaves, third-rail trains, etc... It can reduce through-put.

So it will strengthen my connection? I hope so...

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Eniregnat said:
What exsactly are your problems?

The wireless access point is downstairs in an office. I am usually in my room. My MacBook Pro gets full signal strength when in my parents' room (farther from the AP then my room), yet I get one or two signal bars when at my desk (on the other side of a wall where I got full signal strength in my parents' room).

Right now it seems that Interference Robustness is slowing my download speed (I'm running it while downloading the OS update .dmg).

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
asherman13 said:
The wireless access point is downstairs in an office. I am usually in my room. My MacBook Pro gets full signal strength when in my parents' room (farther from the AP then my room), yet I get one or two signal bars when at my desk (on the other side of a wall where I got full signal strength in my parents' room).

Right now it seems that Interference Robustness is slowing my download speed (I'm running it while downloading the OS update .dmg).

If your wall has mettle studs, it will likely absorb a great deal of signal. Floors often have wood not mettle supports, hence better signal strength vertically.

Interference Robustness will not boost signal strength. Think of it as a detailed check of the information being sent back and forth. It would be like checking the manifest that accompanies a package, instead of checking to see that the box ok and then signing for it. It sends more information upstream and downstream and checks the packets with greater detail, it also varies the rate that packets are sent, so that some harmonic interference will affect the system less. It does not output more power.

Try reorientation the router or your computer.

Interference Robustness will help if it’s EMI.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Eniregnat said:
If your wall has mettle studs, it will likely absorb a great deal of signal. Floors often have wood not mettle supports, hence better signal strength vertically.

Interference Robustness will not boost signal strength. Think of it as a detailed check of the information being sent back and forth. It would be like checking the manifest that accompanies a package, instead of checking to see that the box ok and then signing for it. It sends more information upstream and downstream and checks the packets with greater detail, it also varies the rate that packets are sent, so that some harmonic interference will affect the system less. It does not output more power.

Try reorientation the router or your computer.

Interference Robustness will help if it’s EMI.

Alright, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.