Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Not just pages, but keynote too :(. I understand that Apple might be trying to re-architect all of iWork, but some kind of communication as to their intent might be nice. As it is, I have to decide whether to keep using the old version of Keynote or switch back to powerpoint.

I wouldn't even call myself a "power user." I guess I have presentations often, so maybe...

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
I think their intent is to make an easy to use office sweet that they can include with every new apple purchase, not to compete with office.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hahahahahaha this is very funny, and just how many people on here were slagging of MS Office the other day in the MS slams the new iPads thread? Yeah this is exactly why MS will always be better for business.

Last edited:

email68

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Add Garageband to the list

They messed up Garageband too. You can't even export MP3 anymore or set the parameters you want. :mad:

Funny what they call an upgrade. Making the desktop less powerful to be parity with a weaker (IOS) platform is a mistake. Lowest common denominator.

pepechin

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2007
And for all those features that have been removed, it's still more functional and better to use than Office.

Except Excel. All power to the pivot tables.

Not true anymore

I stay 6 to 8 hours a day using Pages. As a matter of fact I earn my money mostly with Pages works.

The downgrade in productivity is HUGE, and the loss in some features simply prevents to use it professionally.

They have removed opposed pages capability (not stated in article). Only this made me erase Pages 5 and return to old version.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
The complaint is only partially correct. Rich Text Format is not available as an export , but .txt certainly is.

New Word exports to PDF, ePUB, Word, Text, and iWork 09 formats.

Numbers exports to PDF, Excel, CSV, and Numbers '09.

Works for me. I haven't used RTF in the past decade.

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I definitly agree with the criticisims, but also see the point of OS crossplatform unification. Microsoft definitly misstepped with the approach it took with its portable platforms and Microsoft office. Maybe Apple saw the writing on the wall.

CaptainPrice01

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Well both the new Pages and Numbers are getting hammered in the costumer reviews section on the App Store. This is not a good start.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'm definitely not a power user but it's been very disappointing for me. I do not like the changes that iWork '13 makes to my '09 files. I also do not like that anything created with '13 cannot be opened by others using '09 and who may be unable to update to Mavericks & '13.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I've always used Office on Windows when I need more powerful stuff, especially for Excel.

I use iWork for pretty much basic stuff. I see no issue with this. They removed a bunch of features I never had used. Plus it's free.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Still not even a simple search feature in Pages for iOS. Why give us the ability to create documents and folders if I can't even search through the app to find the one doc I need in a hurry?

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Options

I noticed the spread sheet I use in Numbers was reformatted and rearranged to something I did not create. This drawback however is a fair trade because now I can edit that document(s) on my iPad when not in front of a Mac and reference the same files without having to view a copy instead.

I guess Pages and Numbers are not really pro apps or for power users but I think those that need tools beyond the basics can still buy Microsoft's Office apps.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
So you're now classed as a 'Power User' if you use Pages and Numbers?!

'Power users become upset at lack of features on Stickies'!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Power Users? That use iWork?
Something must be wrong here!

Funny, I was just about to post this and figured after 44 replies there is no chance of me feeling like there are some shenanigans going on here.
Power users of iWork. I've heard it all. :D

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Why is this a surprise? Dumbing down for the masses falls in line with what they've done with the Mac Pro(sumer). Pathetic.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I use Numbers daily. My existing spreadsheets still work. I had been hoping for some improvements (like some form of scripting and column formulas). Tried to do some work on the web Pages today and found it hobbled. Granted it is still beta, but it didn't leave me feeling confident especially in light of this article.

Apple will need a comprehensive productivity suite, especially since Microsoft seems to want to keep Office as a distinguishing feature of its tablets. Maybe differentiate iWorks with a Pro version (paid) and the free version.

I won't hold my breath though. Apple has a bad history with standing by its productivity suites.

pepechin

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2007
I wouldn't consider iWork to to a pro Product. Certainly a consumer product.

Pages was a pro product until Tuesday, not so powerful like Word, but enough.

You can make composed documents, with a real pro aspect, way easy with Pages than Word, and this is productivity.

New Pages is at the same time less powerful AND les productive than old one.
It's a shame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.