Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's not likely that she's reading this thread, but others who think she's making valid points ought to take a second look. Let's look at what she says, and whether she'd be better off with Windows:

take away their good looks
A Mac compliment!

OSX systems, that make everything SIMPLE, which causes me to lose focus & control, and left in this land of confusion
If simplicity is confusing for her, she must be doubly confused by Windows.

where you have to DRAG a cd to the recycle bin to EJECT it
Ha! I dare her to drag a CD to the recycle bin. You can't do it! You can control-click and eject or drag a CD to the eject icon (where the recycle bin used to be), or click the eject symbol in a Finder windows. For audio CDs, you can eject them from iTunes as well. Windows has similar functions.

the mac i work on at ELLEgirl has crashed more than 4 times in the last two weeks
I suspect she doesn't know a system crash from an application problem. Nevertheless, anyone who wants to solve such problems can easily get help for it. And such crashes are more common under Windows.

HOW FUN THAT YOU CAN NOT END TASKS, BUT HAVE TO REBOOT every time
She's badly misinformed. I can end a task anytime I like, by quitting or, if it is stuck, from the dock or Activity Monitor. And if an application is freezing or quitting, help is available to do something about it. Such freezes are at least as likely under Windows.

Now I will proceed to inspect every other livejournal post out there and write rebuttals to them too. :)

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
She's probably someone who used a PC 99% of the time, used a Mac once and got frustrated. My wife was like that at first but after a while learned the ropes and now uses things like Expose more than I do.

But life is too short to go around changing people's minds. Educating people who want to learn is rewarding, but trying to convince other kinds of people is generally a waste, especially if their actions don't directly affect you.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
HOW FUN THAT YOU CAN NOT END TASKS, BUT HAVE TO REBOOT every time this ********machine freezes!!! IHATEIT

and not on windows?

live journal is an even bigger looser hangout than C|Net :rolleyes:

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I just can't believe she's complaining about it having to restart 3-4 times in 2 weeks...I mean, it's bad for a mac, but I've had PC's do that daily.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Ick. Her actual LJ page has those rollover cursors that become the plus sign. For some reason, I have always despised that specific rollover switch. Like a cheap way to say "Down with the Mickey Mouse glove!"

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
I have had trouble in the past with Macs that were shared (At the School of Visual Arts and another local university where lots of people used and abused them).

She shouldn't have these problems with her own computer. I do have to force quit an application every once in a while but it doesn't happen that often.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
She did write "OS9 or OSX systems" and it's not at all hard to believe that a Mac running OS 9 could be that unstable.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Doctor Q said:
If simplicity is confusing for her, she must be doubly confused by Windows.
I don't know... as a switcher myself, I can't help but to admit that I did have such sentiments in the beginning. Ok.... I admit, I'm still thinking in "windows" mode sometimes. Caseinpoint, about 3 months ago, I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how to delete a not-so-buddy off of my iChat buddy list. I searched all the menus and drop down menus, preferences, setups, to find a darn delete buddy button. I quickly IMmed my older cousin (more Mac oriented), and he was like, "errr... highlight the name and press 'delete.'" Whew, did I feel like a moron; look what Windows has done to me! I expect more difficulty much more work than actions should require. But I'm learning, little by little. :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Plymouthbreezer said:
Methinks she doesn't know what she is saying.

I also think she just watched the "You own a fu**** Macintosh, the file is gone!" video.

Errggg, I hate that video. I wanna punch the guy in the face.

I've had so many files disappear on me in Windows (somehow, I dunno) and I've had NONE mysteriously leave on my beautiful Mac.

Woo hoo for spotlight!

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
devilot76 said:
I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how to delete a not-so-buddy off of my iChat buddy list. I searched all the menus and drop down menus, preferences, setups, to find a darn delete buddy button. I quickly IMmed my older cousin (more Mac oriented), and he was like, "errr... highlight the name and press 'delete.'" Whew, did I feel like a moron
That reminds me of my first Mac (PB 180c, 1994). I had just learned how to create a folder on the desktop. There it was. "untitled." So I wanted to change the name.

I went through every menu and every manual looking for "rename." Finally, in my frustration, I clicked on the folder to trash it, but missed and clicked on the name (recall that the 180c still had a track-ball). The name highlighted, giving me the oddest combination feeling of elation and stupidity ever.

Kind of like that time I spent 2 hours looking for my glasses -- that were on top of my head. :)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
katie ta achoo said:
Errggg, I hate that video. I wanna punch the guy in the face.

I've had so many files disappear on me in Windows (somehow, I dunno) and I've had NONE mysteriously leave on my beautiful Mac.

Woo hoo for spotlight!
Yeah. And people watch it today and think he's talking about OS X, but it was actually done in the OS 9 days, when that sort of stuff was more likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.