Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Something tells me you don't deal much with CL. That's why people meet at starbucks rather than at home, to avoid intrusive weirdos who insist on taking pictures and copying IDs.

I was thinking more along the lines of receipt, proof of registration, etc. Photographing their license plate does nothing for you in terms of avoiding buying stolen property, and the people suggesting that or photos are not thinking. The best thing you can do is attempt to verify a valid purchase. If you can't verify that, it's perfectly fine to walk on the deal. You could even meet them at the genius bar if you're near an Apple Store. They can obviously verify registration and make the necessary changes.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
In person transaction ?

1. Take a picture of the guy

2. Take a picture of the vehicle he is driving/Lic plate

3. Demand it be activated on the spot if its a phone

4. Demand some documentation for the product being sold

5. Demand his ID to be copied or photographed

OR NO SALE

Good luck finding someone who'll give all their personal information to a stranger. :rolleyes:

OP you might be able to use the phone on AT&T.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Sell the iPhone on a foreign website. Blacklisting only works in the country it was blacklisted in. You'll still get £900 for it in Africa or India.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Sell the iPhone on a foreign website. Blacklisting only works in the country it was blacklisted in. You'll still get £900 for it in Africa or India.

So, £900 in India.. where its available for £512 (to be precise), brand new! You think someone will by a "blacklisted" phone for almost double the price, keeping in mind that it'll be shipped from a foreign country? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Good luck finding someone who'll give all their personal information to a stranger. :rolleyes:

OP you might be able to use the phone on AT&T.

If one is in a traffic accident, one has to provide phone number/drivers lic/Proof of insurance, etc. Many take pictures with their cell phone of the damage as well. So if one wants to sell me an item that expensive, one better provide some information. If they don't, no sale. Everyone should do this so to prevent receiving stolen stuff. Only stupid people without half a brain takes the sale face value and no personal information. I live in the real world that has may pit falls and thieves. ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If one is in a traffic accident, one has to provide phone number/drivers lic/Proof of insurance, etc. Many take pictures with their cell phone of the damage as well. So if one wants to sell me an item that expensive, one better provide some information. If they don't, no sale. Everyone should do this so to prevent receiving stolen stuff. Only stupid people without half a brain takes the sale face value and no personal information. I live in the real world that has may pit falls and thieves. ;)

Traffic accidents are one thing, but perhaps.
Anyways, you won't be buying from me. :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Op you didnt do the most basic thing when buying a phone - make sure the damn phone works. I buy phones on craigslist every week. On monday I bought a mint iphone 4s 16gb ATT ($200). Before I paid i tested it out. I put my sim card in and made a call testing the mic, speaker, headphone jack, camera and flash, gps, internet, wifi, compass etc. I am not just going to give some stranger my money and assume that he is honest.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

No need for all that. If the OP had verified the esn with sprint before purchasing he would not be in this situation. Would you pose for a picture and give your personal info to a stranger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.