Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Software Update should be able to search and download 3rd party device drivers.

My HP printer can't scan and I had to navigate to HP.com and go through like 20 pages to get to the drivers download. Not very Mac like.

They should let 3rd parties tap into Software Update. If a user adds a company as a trusted Software Updater, then it can send driver downloads and what not through Software Update.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
that and a way to set ical events to repeat every x days or so... where x can be like 10 or anything... now its only repeat every week, month day, and custom which is certain days a week repeated every y weeks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
TrumanApple said:
that and a way to set ical events to repeat every x days or so... where x can be like 10 or anything... now its only repeat every week, month day, and custom which is certain days a week repeated every y weeks.
Actually, (checked in Tiger) you can set an event to repeat every N days already.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Gherkin said:
Software Update should be able to search and download 3rd party device drivers.

oh my god, NO NO NO !!! crappy device drivers are the main reason why windows sucks so much reliability-wise, and that apple has control over what drivers to include within OS updates is a great thing because it helps retain stability.

but that much i agree that apple should be more proactive in getting the new drivers included. better hardware support is always better.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Great way to spread virii.

Plus, could you imagine the headache for Apple?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BWhaler said:
Great way to spread virii.

Plus, could you imagine the headache for Apple?

It would consolidate things to a single source...one stop shopping, as they say. The great thing about Mac OS X is that you don't have to deal with a lot of going various places to get things done.

Maybe, if there was an iTunes for hardware support?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Doesnt software update already include (limited, by which i mean Apple's components) driver updates... especially Graphics.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
One thing I love about Debian/Ubuntu is synaptic/apt-get. I like having one source for all of my software, seeing what needs to be updated etc.
But I think that OS X, which is supposed to be easy, simple and reliable, has a nice system going on already.

llama :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
There's already some kind of support for use of Software Update by other companies. Proteus uses Software Update when you check for updates in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.