Something Apple needs to add to OS X 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gherkin, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Software Update should be able to search and download 3rd party device drivers.

My HP printer can't scan and I had to navigate to HP.com and go through like 20 pages to get to the drivers download. Not very Mac like.

They should let 3rd parties tap into Software Update. If a user adds a company as a trusted Software Updater, then it can send driver downloads and what not through Software Update.

2. TrumanApple macrumors member

that and a way to set ical events to repeat every x days or so... where x can be like 10 or anything... now its only repeat every week, month day, and custom which is certain days a week repeated every y weeks.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, (checked in Tiger) you can set an event to repeat every N days already.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You could do this in Panther, too. Just use the custom option.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

oh my god, NO NO NO !!! crappy device drivers are the main reason why windows sucks so much reliability-wise, and that apple has control over what drivers to include within OS updates is a great thing because it helps retain stability.

but that much i agree that apple should be more proactive in getting the new drivers included. better hardware support is always better.

6. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Great way to spread virii.

Plus, could you imagine the headache for Apple?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It would consolidate things to a single source...one stop shopping, as they say. The great thing about Mac OS X is that you don't have to deal with a lot of going various places to get things done.

Maybe, if there was an iTunes for hardware support?

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Doesnt software update already include (limited, by which i mean Apple's components) driver updates... especially Graphics.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Or, Apple could simply let a 3rd party company do it for them.. oh wait..

VersionTracker Pro

10. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

One thing I love about Debian/Ubuntu is synaptic/apt-get. I like having one source for all of my software, seeing what needs to be updated etc.
    But I think that OS X, which is supposed to be easy, simple and reliable, has a nice system going on already.

llama :)

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why should it be, its HP's problem....not Apple's.

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

There's already some kind of support for use of Software Update by other companies. Proteus uses Software Update when you check for updates in it.