Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
This may have been mentioned before, but I was burning a DVD image with Disk Utility on Panther 10.3.4 when I noticed that the information for the "MAT****ADVD-R UJ-825" in my new PowerBook listed the following:

Apple Disk Utility said:
Capabilities: CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

I'm sure that there's a mistake with this (unless for some reason i got a SuperSuperDrive :) ).

I attached a screenshot for people who want to see.

Attachments

• diskutility.jpg
    diskutility.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 119

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Never mind I just read it over a few more times and I concluded that it's just saying what kinds of disks it can read.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The 'Capabilities' field lists what type of discs you can write to. The UJ-825 is a SuperDrive, and I don't see what the 'problem' is - it looks fine to me.

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
It's a 1.5 GHz brand new as of last week 15-incher. I knew it was a SuperDrive, but I thought SuperDrives only burnt CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, not DVD+R/RW also. It's weird that Apple's PowerBook tech specs only list DVD-R and CD-R(W) writing. But on Matsu****a's official specs (PDF) it lists support for DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W), and even DVD-RAM! I wonder why Apple doesn't want to list those on their page... And I wish this forum would stop censoring Matsushi/ta's name, especially since this is a Mac forum and PowerBooks are equipped with their drives.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I know Apple quietly added +media support to their superdrives. But that was only for desktops. I have a 15" 1.25GHz PB from March with a Mat****a UJ-816. But it does not support +media. I wonder if I can get a firmware update?

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
yellow said:
I have a 15" 1.25GHz PB from March with a Mat****a UJ-816. But it does not support +media.
The drive already supports +R/W media, if anything it's just iApps that don't support the media. It should work fine with Toast etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.