Something wrong with Disk Utility?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xgsrpg, Aug 8, 2004.

1. xgsrpg macrumors member

This may have been mentioned before, but I was burning a DVD image with Disk Utility on Panther 10.3.4 when I noticed that the information for the "MAT****ADVD-R UJ-825" in my new PowerBook listed the following:

I'm sure that there's a mistake with this (unless for some reason i got a SuperSuperDrive :) ).

I attached a screenshot for people who want to see.

Attached Files:

2. xgsrpg thread starter macrumors member

Never mind I just read it over a few more times and I concluded that it's just saying what kinds of disks it can read.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The 'Capabilities' field lists what type of discs you can write to. The UJ-825 is a SuperDrive, and I don't see what the 'problem' is - it looks fine to me.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which powerbook is it that you have? GHz speed, I mean..

5. xgsrpg thread starter macrumors member

It's a 1.5 GHz brand new as of last week 15-incher. I knew it was a SuperDrive, but I thought SuperDrives only burnt CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, not DVD+R/RW also. It's weird that Apple's PowerBook tech specs only list DVD-R and CD-R(W) writing. But on Matsu****a's official specs (PDF) it lists support for DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W), and even DVD-RAM! I wonder why Apple doesn't want to list those on their page... And I wish this forum would stop censoring Matsushi/ta's name, especially since this is a Mac forum and PowerBooks are equipped with their drives.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I know Apple quietly added +media support to their superdrives. But that was only for desktops. I have a 15" 1.25GHz PB from March with a Mat****a UJ-816. But it does not support +media. I wonder if I can get a firmware update?

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The drive already supports +R/W media, if anything it's just iApps that don't support the media. It should work fine with Toast etc.