Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
I recently got a macbook pro, so now i am working on exporting a lot of music from my library on my external harddrive, and after i transferred a lot of the files (dragging and dropping), most, but not all, of the songs were doubled up.

for example, when looking at the information for both files, it came up like this:

1st- Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:Sean Lennon:Friendly Fire: 04 Friendly Fire.mp3

2nd- Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:Sean Lennon:Friendly Fire:04-sean_lennon_friendly_fire.mp3

i'm sure this is just a simple fix in the preferences, but i dont want to mess anything up. does anybody have the remedy?

Thanks

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
well if you want all your music on your macbook pros hard drive. open itunes. go to advanced and choose consolidate library. that will put all of your music into an itunes folder in the music folder. then to get rid of any doubles. go to view then show duplicates. all duplicates will the be unchecked i believe and you can go through and manually delete them or search around for a program that does it for you.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
is there a simpler way to do this than to manually delete them or downloading a program?
this seems like a stupid problem and no matter what i do i cant get around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.