Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seb101

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
This is ridiculous and for some reason makes me quite angry! If you are going to rack-mount kit, why on earth would you buy Mac Pros? They are just Intel based x64 architecture now-a-days. You can buy cheaper, better performing x64 hardware for this price that is DESIGNED to be rack mounted, and you can put OSX on it!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It does not make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on top of an already pricey machine simply to rack-mount it. Apple needs to release new dedicated rack-mountable hardware.

After the Xserver didn't hit targets, they have left the field. Don't hold your breath.

----------

This is ridiculous and for some reason makes me quite angry! If you are going to rack-mount kit, why on earth would you buy Mac Pros? They are just Intel based x64 architecture now-a-days. You can buy cheaper, better performing x64 hardware for this price that is DESIGNED to be rack mounted, and you can put OSX on it!

You got it!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I agree.

Apple doesn't. I believe they will never release a rackmount version.

With the new Mac Pro, Apple shows it only cares for a subset of the "Pro" market.

Road warriors have to "suck it" with devices like this.

I just don't understand their mentality sometimes. (Lately, most of the time)

I understand it. They *did* make a rack mount pro machine, and it tanked because it was expensive and niche.

Apple understands their market and has done a great deal of research about the sorts of environments the Mac Pro is used in, and the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority will be desktop setups. For the small number of environments where a rack mounted system is desired (for example, in OB environments, or small edit studios) a third party solution for the nMP would be the more cost effective solution - especially if Apple made the nMP small, which they did.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am no engineer, but I wonder if Sonnet have thought about managing heat when the MacPro is on its side ....

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
More rational if you need a lot of CPU power

A 48 core rack mounted unit isn't even remotely close to being intended for the same market as the Mac Pro, never has been and never will. I can't even imagine why anyone would compare the two.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
An HDMI port in a data center environment is pointless. Ever seen "crash carts" - aka monitor / screen / keyboard sets in the DC with HDMI ?

----------

A lot less than that. Before I spend that sort of money on a simple enclosure but I am desperate, I would rather buy a decent rackmount shelf .. for $30 ... Until someone comes up with a cheaper alternative ..

Well it is for an Apple product, to be fair :p. Prices do generally run higher.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
It's nice to see the speed at which this has been rolled out if only to prove to Apple that there's a valid market for OS X server hardware. Now, why they would re-orient the the thing to basically slow the process of heat venting I don't know. Hopefully, someone will release an enclosure that preserves the optimal vertical position for efficient heat venting as it was engineered.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I understand it. They *did* make a rack mount pro machine, and it tanked because it was expensive and niche.

Apple understands their market and has done a great deal of research about the sorts of environments the Mac Pro is used in, and the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority will be desktop setups. For the small number of environments where a rack mounted system is desired (for example, in OB environments, or small edit studios) a third party solution for the nMP would be the more cost effective solution - especially if Apple made the nMP small, which they did.

While the point you make is an assumption, it is a relatively reasonable (if apologetic) one.

So I'll amend my statement by saying that I just don't agree with Apple's decisions sometimes (lately, most of the time).

Aside from aesthetics, the Mac Pro's form factor seems unnecessary. Why niche the product yourself?

Apple's aversion to expand their portfolio is good for their business (in the short term, at least), but it is bad for us. They limit our choices to either Apple's (limited portfolio) or its competitors. This puts a bad taste in the "pro" industry's mouth, and sends the wrong message to consumers too. I believe that can cause a snow ball effect in the long term.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I don't think there is enough demand for it to make it worthwhile making it. Not everyone that buys or wants a MacPro actually wants something rack mountable.

I personally thought they should have come out with a box that can be a tower or rack mountable, but obviously they didn't do that.

----------

They didn't have the resources to really go after the Enterprise Server market and Jobs didn't know much about that market. Jobs knew more about the consumer market and they saw the opportunity of Smartphones and Tablets.

If I remember correctly, Apple sold the G4 Cube alongside the Power Mac G4.

I think they could've (and should've) sold the Mac Pro "tube" along with a more conventional Mac Pro (perhaps in a mini tower config?) that would appeal to a different sector of the Pro market.

Again, I feel that Apple's portfolio constraint methodology is unnecessary, given their success in the market and their enormous amount of money. Apple is more successful now than ever before, so I feel the time to expand is now.

But alas, it's not about what I, (the consumer) want...

Last edited:

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002

Uh...you can LEGALLY put OS X it? Do tell with specifics please.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

There are currently NO Apple servers or workstations that meet that criteria.

And Nobody in their right minds should ever be using a hackintosh in any legitimate production environment.

----------

I'd be willing to bet that someone could make a mad cluster with about a dozen mac minis on some sort of thunderbolt backplane.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/adapters/index.html

Sonet is allover this "rackable" idea

but... the Mini's... they just dont quite have the heavy CPU lifting power that the Mac Pro family has.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007

Not legally, and not with warranty support

And Nobody in their right minds should ever be using a hackintosh in any legitimate production environment.

This.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
2 cents

Perhaps I'm in the minority as well because I will order the single MP version with the 'migration config' the day it's released. I use an 'IsoBox Post' from 'SoundConstruction' in my studio where noise, heat and especially dust is a huge issue. This device is absolutely perfect for my purpose and although it may be pricy, it will be the cats meow for me! :cool:

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
So it makes more sense to spend hundreds of millions if not more, when they didn't quite make out the first two times they tried it, designing, setting up manufacturing, marketing, and everything else that goes with selling and SUPPORTING yet another model? :rolleyes:

NEWS FLASH: The market and people who require this setup don't care what the machine looks like, they care what it performs like.

"The market and people who require this setup don't care what the machine looks like, they care what it performs like."

Yes, you are right, professional setups don't have to be beautiful, although Apple did trot our their stellar design abilities with the new Mac Pro :) So it would not matter if the computer is beautiful enough to have on a desktop, or functional (but not good looking enough) to put in a server closet. I do believe, though, that Apple could do well with a rack-mounted machine, even though they may not sell hundreds of millions of them, they would more than break-even, and they would foster the growth of their ecosystem, both in professional setups, and in enterprise configurations. The AppleCare warranty from the last sales of the XServe are expiring this year, so the time is right to release a replacement device.

After all, many things happened since the XServe was cancelled. Steve Jobs, sadly, is no longer with us, Time Cook is the new CEO, Apple has a new leadership team, and Apple has found itself with a strong foothold in the enterprise, thanks in large part to the success of the iPhone and iPad. The future looks very bright for Apple.

----------

The issue is that building a Hackintosh is outside of Apple's licensing terms, and is not supported. So, while it may be technically possible to install OS X on non-Apple hardware, the legal issues make it prohibitive. You are right, though, that Apple uses much of the same hardware that PC manufacturers do.

----------

Really?

Why do you think they killed the Xserve?

The killed the XServe for many reasons, one being that they did not understand the server market at that time. Another being that, without enough marketing, they tried to sell XServe machines to IT departments, who, at that time, were very reluctant to buy Apple technology. Things have changed dramatically since then, and now Apple finds itself in the enterprise like they have never been before. BYOD has changed the whole landscape, and now Apple is making serious efforts, with their mass-deployment programs, to sell their products to large enterprises. Apple needs to take another look at the server market, and begin selling server-class machines to large companies as well.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Uh...you can LEGALLY put OS X it? Do tell with specifics please.

Imhotep397 is right, unless Apple let let people build "Hackintoshes," third party server hardware is not an option. Apple's best move would be to release new server-grade hardware that can be rack mounted!! :D

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
How is cooling handled? Is the top of the Mac Pro removed? Or is the computer room supposed to be kept to -19F, to compensate for how cramped the electronics components in those tiny cylinders are?

In a server environment, cooling is essential for racks of equipment...

It'd be fun to see some of those in action, but I'm skeptical...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.