Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
I'm actually kind of excited about this. It looks like third-party services such as Spotify will be incorporated into the Sonos app. It's painful right now. Turning on my Sonos system, then turning on Spotify and streaming through Sonos. Maybe I have been doing it wrong.

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Connect at least one speaker to Ethernet, and they will form their own Mesh network that is much more reliable.
the problem with devices that rely on wifi, especially for one with strong reliance like sonos, is that people have bad wifi setup and the consuming product always takes the blame.

(which also points to how poor the wifi standard and products are, but thats another topic for another day.)

my 9 sonos products have worked flawlessly for years.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
the problem with devices that rely on wifi, especially for one with strong reliance like sonos, is that people have bad wifi setup and the consuming product always takes the blame.

(which also points to how poor the wifi standard and products are, but thats another topic for another day.)

So many people have the 7 year old WiFi router they got from their ISP shoved in a broom closet or down in the basement and wonder why their Roku is constantly buffering.

Reactions: thettareddast

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Sonos speakers are really good. I‘m an audiophool. My main system costs more than most cars. But I still get so much enjoyment out of my various Sonos products. Great designs, build quality and amazing sound. Looking forward to using the new app.

Reactions: jimmysalg

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

What a broad sweeping statement, blame it on the user. But let's assume for the moment you are right. The user has bad wifi. Certainly a system that relies on wifi would alert the user there was a problem right? I mean that would serve both the manufacturer so as not to get spurious complaints and the user to have a smoother experience. Sonos gives zero information when there is a speaker that drops off. zero. I get more information when my wallet detaches from my phone. My home app tells me when a $25 light disconnects from my network and when I look at it alerts me to which device is having a problem. Happened with one light bulb. replaced it. problem solved. But Sonos? a $300 speaker can disconnect in the middle of a song and the Sonos App stays silent. Nor does it have any history or alert section. I can use it to see what speakers are connected, but my ears tell the that. And it's not like they don't have the capability, the App does tell you if a speaker is placed in a bad place during set up. They just don't do any diagnostics when running. Sorry. Sonos could do better.

So many people have the 7 year old WiFi router they got from their ISP shoved in a broom closet or down in the basement and wonder why their Roku is constantly buffering.

Yep. And some have 4, 1 year old, Linksys Velop tri-band wifi 6e mesh nodes strategically placed throughout a two story 2600 sq ft home and STILL have speaker drop outs with Sonos. Admittedly, not often, it works well 95% of the time, but when people compare its reliability to the HomePod that works 100% of the time, I got to say, 'not quite.' I know thats not your point, but still suggesting its often the network is meh.

Now my second house, summer cabin, is only 1600 sq feet and I only have two nodes, and my speakers never drop out. They work 100% of the time. So maybe it's my network. Oh wait, those are all HomePods (7).

At home, I also have 3 wifi connected Apple TVs, never a problem with buffering. My cheap home use devices report when there is an issue. My washer and drying in the basement are always connected. I can use my iPhone, computers, iPads anywhere in the house on the same wifi network, no problem. It's literally just Sonos that will occasionally drop off. Typically it's when I am running 5 speakers through out the house, but sometimes even when it's just one. And all my other devices stay connected. And okay Sonos is high tech or whatever that is more finicky. Fine. Be high tech enough to alert me when there is a problem. But I get it. it's my network.

That's as tone deaf as 'you're holding its wrong.'

Maybe this App update will come with a system update that gives better diagnostics and works closer to 100% of the time. Or maybe it's just fluff. Time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: bbodine

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
What a broad sweeping statement, blame it on the user. But let's assume for the moment you are right. The user has bad wifi. Certainly a system that relies on wifi would alert the user there was a problem right? I mean that would serve both the manufacturer so as not to get spurious complaints and the user to have a smoother experience. Sonos gives zero information when there is a speaker that drops off. zero. I get more information when my wallet detaches from my phone. My home app tells me when a $25 light disconnects from my network and when I look at it alerts me to which device is having a problem. Happened with one light bulb. replaced it. problem solved. But Sonos? a $300 speaker can disconnect in the middle of a song and the Sonos App stays silent. Nor does it have any history or alert section. I can use it to see what speakers are connected, but my ears tell the that. And it's not like they don't have the capability, the App does tell you if a speaker is placed in a bad place during set up. They just don't do any diagnostics when running. Sorry. Sonos could do better.

When a Sonos device is off the network the app will tell you.

When a Sonos device has intermittent connectivity, should it send you a phone notification every 5 seconds when it goes silent? When your car radio loses signal or a CD skips, does it tell you “continuity lost?” No, the skip in the audio alone signals the user.

There is a dilemna in product design. You can tell the user everything, but if they dont understand it, and/or if its outside their capability to take action, but message loses its utility. You also dont want to tell them the wrong thing if the exact cause is not known. Perhaps worst, you tell them something vague that leads them to misinterpret.

Sonos actually has detailed information on connectivity. It lives on port 1400 for the device on the network. It has hexadecimal addresses and noise floors measures and packet counts and if it told the typical consumer — say, your parents — that “5% of the packets were dropped.” , what would that actually do for them? Nothing.

Their conclusion would be the same: “my music skipped. somethings wrong with this whole thing”.

The networked speaker system is, obviously, not a light bulb, or a washing machine, and its requirements and operational envelope is completely different. If your ipad (a single node) encountered similar intermittent issues you might not even notice because you’re here, reading a static page.

If you ever browse the manual or faq or support database of any modern “smart device”, you notice atleast half is dedicated to the connection of the device, more than the device itself.

That should hint that the “broad sweeping statement” is broadly and sweepingly true.

bbodine

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
yes replacing routers. Haven't moved them from one network to another. Bought a new router, set it with same SSID and user and password which you said was not possible with Sonos but it works flawlessly. I never said I brought it to ANOTHER or DIFFERENT network. I also never said I'm better for having more speakers than you or anyone else, I replied that about your statement that playing to more than 5 speakers at once doesn't work. It works just fine with as many I want to play it on.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
When a Sonos device is off the network the app will tell you.

No. It does not alert me to that fact. I can open it. Search the device status, as I said before, but eh, thats not the same as alerting me.
When a Sonos device has intermittent connectivity, should it send you a phone notification every 5 seconds when it goes silent?

yes it should. Then I would know to fix it. The original poster suggested the issue was my network. That it could never be a Sonos issue. so yes, I would expect if Sonos detects an issue it lets me know.
There is a dilemna in product design. You can tell the user everything, but if they dont understand it, and/or if its outside their capability to take action, but message loses its utility.

something is better than nothing.

You also dont want to tell them the wrong thing if the exact cause is not known.

sounds like poor product design that cant run appropriate diagnostics.

When your car radio loses signal or a CD skips, does it tell you “continuity lost?” No, the skip in the audio alone signals the user.

If my cd skips, I dont blame my network. I take it out (actually took it out it's been a decade since I used a cd) and look for scratches. clean it. put it back in. because there is only so much that can go wrong with a cd player.

Sonos actually has detailed information on connectivity. It lives on port 1400 for the device on the network. It has hexadecimal addresses and noise floors measures and packet counts and if it told the typical consumer — say, your parents — that “5% of the packets were dropped.” , what would that actually do for them? Nothing.

My parents are dead thank you. Not sure if you are just being snarky or what, but why bring them in to it? And I expect if Sonos knows 5% of packets are dropped they could also give me a reason, bad wifi connection, or buffering, anything more. the fact that as you say Sonos knows a lot but does nothing with that information does not impress me.

The networked speaker system is, obviously, not a light bulb, or a washing machine, and its requirements and operational envelope is completely different. If your ipad (a single node) encountered similar intermittent issues you might not even notice because you’re here, reading a static page.

Or I might be watching a movie. Why assume it's a static page? its not. I use it for music, movies, all things as operationally enveloped as Sonos. and you forgot to tell me why this doesnt apply to my apple tv's... clearly not a static screen. next?

If you ever browse the manual or faq or support database of any modern “smart device”, you notice atleast half is dedicated to the connection of the device, more than the device itself.

That should hint that the “broad sweeping statement” is broadly and sweepingly true.

You missed the point. I don't expect much out of my light bulbs, but I do expect more out of a $300 device in terms of terms of useful feedback to correct an issue. If you browse almost any item that comes to you in a plastic bag you will see a warning 'do not put over head, a choking hazard'. is it sweepingly true a lot of people put plastic bags over their head?

And you continue to conveniently overlook that I have repeatedly made the point, under the same circumstance and positions, another wifi speaker system has zero problems. My HomePods. The statement keeps getting made that the Sonos is as easy to use as HomePod. I dont call routine acceptance of packet dropping to the point my music experience is impaired to be a positive. Apparently you do.

But cool. Keep saying it's the user's fault. :)

You're hold it wrong.

Last edited:
  • Haha

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
yes replacing routers. Haven't moved them from one network to another. Bought a new router, set it with same SSID and user and password which you said was not possible with Sonos but it works flawlessly. I never said I brought it to ANOTHER or DIFFERENT network. I also never said I'm better for having more speakers than you or anyone else, I replied that about your statement that playing to more than 5 speakers at once doesn't work. It works just fine with as many I want to play it on.

I think I have been clear. I never claimed anything was impossible or didnt work for anyone. I relayed my experience. Others have had the same. It is some ardent Sonos supporters that keep trying to invalidate my and others experience. but sure, what new router did you get? maybe I should get the same.

• Haha

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
No. It does not alert me to that fact. I can open it. Search the device status, as I said before, but eh, thats not the same as alerting me.

yes it should. Then I would know to fix it. The original poster suggested the issue was my network. That it could never be a Sonos issue. so yes, I would expect if Sonos detects an issue it lets me know.

something is better than nothing.

sounds like poor product design that cant run appropriate diagnostics.

If my cd skips, I dont blame my network. I take it out (actually took it out it's been a decade since I used a cd) and look for scratches. clean it. put it back in. because there is only so much that can go wrong with a cd player.

My parents are dead thank you. Not sure if you are just being snarky or what, but why bring them in to it? And I expect if Sonos knows 5% of packets are dropped they could also give me a reason, bad wifi connection, or buffering, anything more. the fact that as you say Sonos knows a lot but does nothing with that information does not impress me.

Or I might be watching a movie. Why assume it's a static page? its not. I use it for music, movies, all things as operationally enveloped as Sonos. and you forgot to tell me why this doesnt apply to my apple tv's... clearly not a static screen. next?

You missed the point. I don't expect much out of my light bulbs, but I do expect more out of a $300 device in terms of terms of useful feedback to correct an issue. If you browse almost any item that comes to you in a plastic bag you will see a warning 'do not put over head, a choking hazard'. is it sweepingly true a lot of people put plastic bags over their head?

And you continue to conveniently overlook that I have repeatedly made the point, under the same circumstance and positions, another wifi speaker system has zero problems. My HomePods. The statement keeps getting made that the Sonos is as easy to use as HomePod. I dont call routine acceptance of packet dropping to the point my music experience is impaired to be a positive. Apparently you do.

But cool. Keep saying it's the user's fault. :)

You're hold it wrong.
At first I thought you were merely being obtuse. Then I later realized you are truly clueless.

The devices that piggybacks on a wireless network have limited capabilities to diagnose the network itself. Thats the logical limitation of the arrangement, not a failure of the device.

A skipping CD playback could be a due to poor CD. It could also be a poor laser. Or poor chassis damping. Or insufficient buffer to guard against some of those. No matter which is the root cause, there is absolute zero utility in the player alerting you “bad playback!!!” when you can already and obviously hear the playback being disrupted.

When Sonos measures that some packets are lost in transmission, telling that to you serves no purpose. First, it has no idea why the packets are lost. No amount of wishcasting can change this reality. Second, you would also have no idea why the packets are lost. You display evidence that you are not a network engineer or even someone sensible enough to start to understand what to do about it.

Obviously, i have no idea about the status of your parents. Obviously, i wrote “parents” as a hypothetical avatar for the “typical consumer”. The fact that you take umbrage with that — as if it was a pointed reference to your actual mother and father— just reinforces the lack of sensibility mentioned above.

Funny the closing nod to Steve Jobs’ “youre holding it wrong” remark. Funny because hes correct: there is such a thing as the Wrong Customer. You are convinced the product is flawed and you know better than those who built it. So build a better one, or sell it and move on.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
At first I thought you were merely being obtuse. Then I later realized you are truly clueless.

The devices that piggybacks on a wireless network have limited capabilities to diagnose the network itself. Thats the logical limitation of the arrangement, not a failure of the device.

A skipping CD playback could be a due to poor CD. It could also be a poor laser. Or poor chassis damping. Or insufficient buffer to guard against some of those. No matter which is the root cause, there is absolute zero utility in the player alerting you “bad playback!!!” when you can already and obviously hear the playback being disrupted.

When Sonos measures that some packets are lost in transmission, telling that to you serves no purpose. First, it has no idea why the packets are lost. No amount of wishcasting can change this reality. Second, you would also have no idea why the packets are lost. You display evidence that you are not a network engineer or even someone sensible enough to start to understand what to do about it.

Obviously, i have no idea about the status of your parents. Obviously, i wrote “parents” as a hypothetical avatar for the “typical consumer”. The fact that you take umbrage with that — as if it was a pointed reference to your actual mother and father— just reinforces the lack of sensibility mentioned above.

Funny the closing nod to Steve Jobs’ “youre holding it wrong” remark. Funny because hes correct: there is such a thing as the Wrong Customer. You are convinced the product is flawed and you know better than those who built it. So build a better one, or sell it and move on.

look. you do you. so if there is no way for a device with a CPU that claims to manage a mesh network, that does in fact purport to tell you if you dont have a device is positioned correctly to work in the mesh on installation, then cool. its a dumb device and you've convinced me I am better off without it.

want to buy some used Sonos equipment?

• Haha

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Sonos speakers are really good. I‘m an audiophool. My main system costs more than most cars. But I still get so much enjoyment out of my various Sonos products. Great designs, build quality and amazing sound. Looking forward to using the new app.

I used to have a pretty nice system, nothing that would satisfy a true audiophile but high end for the average American for sure. I realized that all I really needed was a pair of Sonos Fives paired in stereo.

Sometimes you have to spend a lot of money to realize that you don't really need to spend that much I guess.

bbodine

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
I think I have been clear. I never claimed anything was impossible or didnt work for anyone. I relayed my experience. Others have had the same. It is some ardent Sonos supporters that keep trying to invalidate my and others experience. but sure, what new router did you get? maybe I should get the same.
I mean you did claim it didnt work even if you kept the same SSID/User/Password as well as suggested that anyone with Sonos couldn't play to more than 5 speakers at once. All that said, Linksys WRT1900AC was first, Synology RT2600AC with Mesh point for second one, now Ubiquiti UMD PRO with 4 AP's. Even wiped the Ubiquiti at one point and set up with different DHCP range but same SSID, user, and password. Worked flawlessly everytime. Seems more like you need to focus on learning your routers, and wireless networks, then maybe you wont have issues and tell others these things dont work when they clearly do.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I mean you did claim it didnt work even if you kept the same SSID/User/Password as well as suggested that anyone with Sonos couldn't play to more than 5 speakers at once. All that said, Linksys WRT1900AC was first, Synology RT2600AC with Mesh point for second one, now Ubiquiti UMD PRO with 4 AP's. Even wiped the Ubiquiti at one point and set up with different DHCP range but same SSID, user, and password. Worked flawlessly everytime. Seems more like you need to focus on learning your routers, and wireless networks, then maybe you wont have issues and tell others these things dont work when they clearly do.

Dude. Maybe Sonos just doesnt work as well as you think it does. Google it. my experience is not that abnormal. Glad it worked for you, but now you're just being rude. Going to repeat, my knowledge of routers is sufficient for literally every other device I have. But sure, keep on blaming me.

• Haha

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Thanks for the info! I’m currently at only 4 speakers (all on S2, and 2 of which in stereo pair) but by the looks of it it’s better to not go much further than that. I’d love to give the HomePod a shot, but they aren’t available in my region.
Just to share my personal experience I have 6 Sonos (2 move/1roam/1era100/1SLgen2/1ikeabooksheft) and no issues. I play all of them all the time. I used to have 2OGhomepods and 4 HomePod mini and had ALL kinds of issues. My first SONOS was the move just cause I wanted something battery powered for my patio that supported airplay 2. Started to notice the Sonos never dropped off…. Little by little I replaced my Apple stuff with SONOS and very happy. I even find the Sonos assistant really good at playing music. SIRI on the HomePod would mess up a lot. And time out a bunch of times.

Reactions: mtrm

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I would go full Sonos if there were better integration with the Apple ecosystem. I’m talking Siri (yes Siri), iCloud, handoff, findMy and most importantly - HomeKit. Thats why HomePod remains my preferred solution for music.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.