Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Surely they won't sell a lot more units just because it's a little bit smaller...

... They probably will.. but how?!

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Chaszmyr said:
Surely they won't sell a lot more units just because it's a little bit smaller...

No clue. Did the PS1 mini sell well?

Apparently it did!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Chaszmyr said:
It worked with the other one.

Besides, I need a new one because I gave my old black one to my brother. How I miss Wipeout fusion... grr. It's all for idiots like me who buy consoles twice!

Brettla

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Monona,WI
This concept goes all the way back to Nintendo releasing a smaller version of the NES was released at about the same time as the Super Nintendo, then they did the same thing with at the same time the Nintendo 64 came out, it just marketing to try to get more units sold, and even though I already have a PS2, I would consider getting one of the new ones so I can take my old one to my office. The current one looks nice, but the new smaller one should look alot nicer and shouldn't be such an odd shape.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i've yet to actually buy a Playstation 2, my Sega Dreamcast is still going strong and it's over 5 years old now! I just refuse to pay over $100 for a ps2 when it's been out for years. maybe this small version will be just what i need. i thought i wanted that psx but it's way too pricey for what it is. i'm happy, particularly as i've always thought the ps2 was ugly as sin.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
What sucks about this is that they're moving the GTA release date back by a week. Blegh! Stupid sony!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Chaszmyr said:

What baffles me is how they can continue to sell this outdated console with crappy graphics at all!!!

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Yea, the re-release smaller thing works well. Game Boy to Game Boy Pocket, To Game Boy Color, to Game Boy Advance, to Game Boy Andvance SP.

And then theres the iPod mini. That thing is just a mystery to me. I bought one, of course, but I still don't exactly know why. It's only slightly smaller, and severley disadvantaged when it comes to storage.

Eh, I guess smaller is the way to go. It just works.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
crazzyeddie said:
What baffles me is how they can continue to sell this outdated console with crappy graphics at all!!!

The reason it sells is because of games like GTA

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
crazzyeddie said:

The PS2 is oldest compared to the game cube and xbox, but IMO, it's the best system out there.

Besides, graphics aren't everything. I think most of us can agree that PacMan and space invaders for Atari are the best games and those graphics suck.

Brettla

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Monona,WI
PS2 sells so well and is so popular because it has the best games available for it, game cube (which i also own), and then the xbox just don't have as many games and seem to sell well to limited age groups instead of the PS2 which is good for people of any age.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
yg17 said:
Besides, graphics aren't everything. I think most of us can agree that PacMan and space invaders for Atari are the best games and those graphics suck.

VERY well said. And Missile Command is a close third. I have all 3! (and basic). :)

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
If it come with the network adapter and HDD built in I'll think about selling my ps2 for this "pstwo". Unlikely but that's what I'm hoping for. :rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
evoluzione said:
i've yet to actually buy a Playstation 2, my Sega Dreamcast is still going strong and it's over 5 years old now! I just refuse to pay over $100 for a ps2 when it's been out for years. maybe this small version will be just what i need. i thought i wanted that psx but it's way too pricey for what it is. i'm happy, particularly as i've always thought the ps2 was ugly as sin.

damn straight, i still play the odd game of shen mue or soul caliber which is possibly the best fighting game ever created, soul caliber 2 was a big letdown for me.

i won an xbox in a competetion a while back and i only use it to play on xbox live my my friends.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
FistfulofAngst said:
If it come with the network adapter and HDD built in I'll think about selling my ps2 for this "pstwo". Unlikely but that's what I'm hoping for. :rolleyes:

I would imagine the pstwo to be a minimum spec machine (with the option of adding a screen like psone) and then the PS2s to start selling with HDs and network adapters as standard.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Piracy could be the reason.

Even though I don't own one, a friend of mine said half of the PS2 inside is empty and theres room for a hard drive in there.

You can download ISOs of games, copy them to drive on a PC and the PS2 will read them off the drive.

Sounds like something sony are aware of to me. Or just a theory a friend of mine has :D

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Actually there are some games that run better on PS2 then Xbox (graphics wise) and it seems to piss off the xbox community. I had choice of getting PS2 or Xbox when Xbox came out... I choose PS2 because I hate M$, I rarely even play consoles, a few weeks ago was the first time I bought a game for PS2 in years and the graphics still are pretty good to me, especially MSG2 and such.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
barkmonster said:
Piracy could be the reason.

Even though I don't own one, a friend of mine said half of the PS2 inside is empty and theres room for a hard drive in there.

You can download ISOs of games, copy them to drive on a PC and the PS2 will read them off the drive.

Sounds like something sony are aware of to me. Or just a theory a friend of mine has :D

it's not a theory, i did that to mine.
HD loader is the program you need. just do a search for
that, ps2, and mod. you'll see.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
When they bring out the new one do you think that they will stop production of the old style one? if so do you think they will try to sell the older style ones off cheaper? i could do with a second ps2 for uni!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I was thinking of buying a PS2 so I'll wait until these new ones come out. I think it will have a longer life than an Xbox because the Xbox has a harddrive that will eventually die. For example, my Intellivison still works and it's from 1980-81.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
thats seriously cool... i mean seriously seriously cool. They're gonna have to lower the price of the current ones!! but now when i see how cool the new ones are i want one of those!!!!! damnit!!!

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
just found some other pics, check it out!!!!

Attachments

• pstwo.jpg
    pstwo.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 140
  • pstwo2.jpg
    pstwo2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 139
  • pstwo3.jpg
    pstwo3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 135
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.