Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Anyone here got a w800 that they've managed to get to sync correctly?

I can get new contacts to go to the phone, but not vice versa.

Thanks!
Adam

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've got a k750 which seems to sync properly although I'm trying to recall if I've added any new contacts onto the phone first recently which haven't appeared on the Mac.

I know for sure that I've just added someone in the office today so will check when I get home whether they are added to the Address Book when I sync.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
Just to follow up on this.

I synced the phone and the Mac last night and all was well. The new contact I'd created on the phone synced over to Address Book without a problem and vice versa with another Mac-based new contact.

Thanks. I take it you needed that patch that is out to stop the Mac locking up on sync?

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
monty77 said:
Anyone here got a w800 that they've managed to get to sync correctly?

I can get new contacts to go to the phone, but not vice versa.

Thanks!
Adam

Fixed!!! ... needed to do a 'Reset iSync History' - works great now.

Reading / sending SMS using address book is a nice feature too.

Adam

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I got a K750 on saturday. It's a really good phone. Contacts and calendars sync well but there seems to be a limit on how much text you read on the phone when viewing the calendars. Slightly annoying.

Apart from that, 10/10. Bluetooth works amazing well too.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
Nope... haven't applied any patches since I sync over Bluetooth. I thought the patch was only if you synced using the USB cable?

Yeah. I figured you might have usd the cable to move music and/or photos.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
Nah, I just BT them too. It's probably a bit slower but saves me the time of finding the cable and plugging it each time.

The only things holding me back from this phone are

a) does automatically sync address book pictures (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html)

b) doesn't pause playing music/cast when call comes in (?)

c) doesn't (to my knowledge) intergrate with itunes like the ROKR does, meaning I have to load my podcast each morning manually - and using a cable or it will take forever to move 100-200MB or so via BT.

d) requires expensive Sony memory to bulk out to the half to a gig I would want.

Applespider

macrumors G4
a - No, the pics don't seem to transfer (they did on my old p800/900) but not on the k700/750. At least the mailing address transfers now, unlike the k700

b - It does pause the music while the call comes in and then restarts it.

c - It doesn't integrate with iTunes so you'd have to manually move the podcasts over. I just moved a 10MB file over in a few minutes via Bluetooth. But yeah, 200MB would take a while! Hmm, I wonder if it would be 'Automator'able

d - yeah which is where the w800 shines since it comes with the bigger card!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
A couple of questions for you Applespider (and anyone having a w800), about syncing the k750i (w800i):

How does the k750i/w800i handle all day events from iCal? And does it support different categories (i.e. Calendars)?

And how about contacts with multiple e-mail addresses and phone numbers, i.e. 2 e-mail addresses categorized as home in Address Book or two different mobiles? And does it sync ordinary addresses, like iPod syncing supports, but not my old T68i?

Questions. Questions. :)

PS! I asked these same questions in another thread a couple of days ago, but never got any answers... :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
How does the k750i/w800i handle all day events from iCal? And does it support different categories (i.e. Calendars)?

Turns them into read-only all-day events. I have very few all day events that I need to edit so haven't noticed this being a problem.

It does support different calendars; Home, Work, B'days. But any events created on the phone only show up in one of the calendars (you set it) on sync.

And how about contacts with multiple e-mail addresses and phone numbers, i.e. 2 e-mail addresses categorized as home in Address Book or two different mobiles? And does it sync ordinary addresses, like iPod syncing supports, but not my old T68i?

Um, it's happy with multiple phone numbers (although it likes to have one home, one mobile, one work) but not with multiple emails. It basically picks the email address at the top of your Address Book for each contact.

It does sync the normal mailing addresses now - although they're on a different tab that you have to go to deliberately.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Thanks! :)
Applespider said:
Turns them into read-only all-day events. I have very few all day events that I need to edit so haven't noticed this being a problem.
Cool. My T68i treats the whole day events as regular events with duration from 00-24, literary the whole day. Makes the calendar look like s...pooh... very annoying, so I've turned of all day event syncing... :(

Then the 750 is still on top of my wish-list (since it's cheaper than the 800 and I don't need the "walkman"). At least until Apple releases an iPhone... ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
d - yeah which is where the w800 shines since it comes with the bigger card!

Shines...how about glows - bright orange. I gotta carry this baby around for 2 years, I would prefer the 750 look. But you are right, it is cheaper to go the W800.

Anyway, I'll be waiting until Steve pulls back his curtains next week before I make any further purchasing decisions.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone in Canada (specifically Toronto) own and use this phone? I only ask because I am thinking of buying but have conflicting reports about whether or not it will work on the Rogers network. My friend used a 750 all summer that he got from the UK (I think) and I have read that people have had success with the w800 but the Rogers salesmen continually tell me that it will not work. I guess it is hard to argue with results (as my friend has used it) but what would be the reasons for the Rogers employees saying it does not work?

Orge

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2004
aswitcher said:
The only things holding me back from this phone are
c) doesn't (to my knowledge) intergrate with itunes like the ROKR does, meaning I have to load my podcast each morning manually - and using a cable or it will take forever to move 100-200MB or so via BT.

Their's some third party software to solve this:
itunemywalkman
synctunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.