Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Sony has been doing it since the PS3, and there have been workarounds to get it to run on desktops (with the PS3 version) already.

Sony has NOT been doing this since the PS3...it's baked into Windows 10 and first party developed. Don't try skirting "workarounds" here, a hack for remote play is no competition for this at all.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Sony has NOT been doing this since the PS3...it's baked into Windows 10 and first party developed. Don't try skirting "workarounds" here, a hack for remote play is no competition for this at all.

Uh, Remote Play was a feature on the PS3 with the PSP since launch, and in 2010 Sony started preloading a PC client on all VIAO computers to allow Remote Play on Windows. The "workaround" was just to install that program on your non-VAIO computer.

The PS4 also supports Remote Play via a direct connection, over the same WiFi, or over completely different networks with the Vita, essentially making every PS4 game a handheld game as well (and it works great, even over different wifi networks), so presumably the Mac/PC client will be able to as well. It also supports Sony Xperia phones and tablets (and by downloading the APK and DS4 driver, every Android phone and tablet). The Xbox One/Windows 10 Game Streaming is only compatible when both devices are on the same network. In addition, it requires Windows 10. This client will allow Mac users, and possibly non Windows 10 users (7/8) to use the feature as well.

So, not only has Sony already had a feature like this since last generation, next year it'll be doing it better than Microsoft.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Uh, Remote Play was a feature on the PS3 with the PSP since launch, and in 2010 Sony started preloading a PC client on all VIAO computers to allow Remote Play on Windows. The "workaround" was just to install that program on your non-VAIO computer.

The PS4 also supports Remote Play via a direct connection, over the same WiFi, or over completely different networks with the Vita, essentially making every PS4 game a handheld game as well (and it works great, even over different wifi networks), so presumably the Mac/PC client will be able to as well. It also supports Sony Xperia phones and tablets (and by downloading the APK and DS4 driver, every Android phone and tablet). The Xbox One/Windows 10 Game Streaming is only compatible when both devices are on the same network. In addition, it requires Windows 10. This client will allow Mac users, and possibly non Windows 10 users (7/8) to use the feature as well.

So, not only has Sony already had a feature like this since last generation, next year it'll be doing it better than Microsoft.

Again,you're stretching it. Remote play back then did not work the way it currently does, only the most rudimentary games supported it - it was primarily for streaming video. I have a PS4, PS3, Vita, and two PSP's, I'm no stranger to what it does. And I'll put it to you bluntly, there is a reason that MS keeps it only on the same network.

"Feature like this", streeeeeeetch. As far as "better", just...stop. Sony can't even get networked gaming right yet, while Microsoft's Azure infrastructure is building up globally all of the time.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Again,you're stretching it. Remote play back then did not work the way it currently does, only the most rudimentary games supported it - it was primarily for streaming video. I have a PS4, PS3, Vita, and two PSP's, I'm no stranger to what it does. And I'll put it to you bluntly, there is a reason that MS keeps it only on the same network.

"Feature like this", streeeeeeetch. As far as "better", just...stop. Sony can't even get networked gaming right yet, while Microsoft's Azure infrastructure is building up globally all of the time.

I'm currently playing GTA V on my Vita over my hotspot with my PS4 several miles away and it runs great. Works just as good as Game Streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.