Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Does anyone have any experience using Sony's new HD HDD Camcorder with the Mac. I'm looking to replace my 6 year old Canon ZR-10 and strongly considering this model. Doesn't seem to have a Firewire out though. I'm also wondering about AVCHD support within iMovie.

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
Right now, there isn't any software support for the HDR-SR1 on Macs. The only way to download and edit your footage is to use the supplied Sony software, which is Windows compatible only. I would think that the next updates of Final Cut/Express/iMovie will support AVCHD, but there are no guarantees.

jimmyjjames

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
SD Works fine with iMovie HD not so much

With the Sony camera you can record in SD. With the SD recording you get the full 16:9 aspect ratio, pretty good quality video, much better than dv. To edit the video you need to purchase Apple Quicktime MPEG2 codec. Once you have that the video imports into both iMovie and Final Cut.

I am sure that in future iterations of iMovie and Final Cut there will be some support for AVCHD, or at least a codec that will allow you to import the video.

I don't regret my purchase, just be aware of this short term limitation before you purchase.

dstalls

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2007
Hdrsr1

Jimmy,

I am new to using a mac. What exactly do i need to purchase to access video clips on my Sony HDR-SR1? I changed the camera to record in SD mode. Thanks.

mpack

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
Does anyone have any experience using Sony's new HD HDD Camcorder with the Mac. Doesn't seem to have a Firewire out though. I'm also wondering about AVCHD support within iMovie.[/QUOTE]

Stay Away from HDR-SR1 if you have a mac!

Good concern. I connected my brother's Sony HDR-SR1 to my G5 and my new Macboock pro. Both computers recognized the Camera as an external HD, and improted the files just fine, but Sony has done a good job of making sure that no one can touch their files. Even though it's AVC/h.264, the container file name is propietary for SONY, and not even Sony Vegas can edit these files in windows. A sales guy at shopdigitalcorp.com said that he converts the files to M-peg2, and then to DV format, and then can edit the Movies in Adobe Premier (Windoze only). It sounds like a lot of work to me.

I just bought one of Sony's HDV Tape Camera, the HDR-HC7 and it works fine with iMovie. It appears that the Canon HDV10 works as well (It is advertised in Mac Mall and other Mac sites.)

Good Luck!

geekism

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2007
Bummer

I just bought the Sony SR1 before I left for my trip to Asia. I assumed it would work with my mac...so much for that. The camera is great, especially with the new wide angle lense I just bought for it in Singapore, but I'm going to fill this thing up and be unable to pull of any video.

Have there been any updates that would allow me to get the HD files off of this friggen thing so I can edit on my MacBook? :mad:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Apple's QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component For $19.99

With the Sony camera you can record in SD. With the SD recording you get the full 16:9 aspect ratio, pretty good quality video, much better than dv. To edit the video you need to purchase Apple Quicktime MPEG2 codec. Once you have that the video imports into both iMovie and Final Cut.

I am sure that in future iterations of iMovie and Final Cut there will be some support for AVCHD, or at least a codec that will allow you to import the video.

I don't regret my purchase, just be aware of this short term limitation before you purchase.
I am new to using a mac. What exactly do i need to purchase to access video clips on my Sony HDR-SR1? I changed the camera to record in SD mode. Thanks.
The MPEG-2 Playback Component for $19.99. :) Glad to read there's a work around.

theWholeTruth

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I think it's time.

Why didn't you research what it was before you bought it? We've had the HC7 thread up almost a month. And why is this thread in Digital Audio instead of Digital Video?:eek:

I say sell it and buy an HC7. Study the "Sony HDR-HC7 HDV Camcorder" at the most popular thread in all of Digital Video here. Over 8,300 views and more than 166 posts.

Someone needs to say it. Quit spamming the HC7. Not everyone needs that camera. Not everyone wants that camera. It's not the best camera out there. It's not the best camera for EVERY situation. So you see, while it may work for you, it may not for others. So let others exercise their free will to choose a camera that suits THEIR needs and not your personal tastes or biases. If you can't offer any support or help other than to dump a camera because it's junk, then don't bother posting.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Thanks For The Reality Check

Someone needs to say it. Quit spamming the HC7. Not everyone needs that camera. Not everyone wants that camera. It's not the best camera out there. It's not the best camera for EVERY situation. So you see, while it may work for you, it may not for others. So let others exercise their free will to choose a camera that suits THEIR needs and not your personal tastes or biases. If you can't offer any support or help other than to dump a camera because it's junk, then don't bother posting.
I don't perceive my links as spamming. There's a lot of posts over there that are not HC7 specific and will help anyone with any HDV camera get more out of what they have. But I understand what you think. So I added a sentence above to soften the otherwise unnecessarily strident tone of my post which I can assure you was unintentional. Thank you for the reality check TWT.
rotfl.gif

theWholeTruth

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I don't perceive my links as spamming. There's a lot of posts over there that are not HC7 specific and will help anyone with any HDV camera get more out of what they have. But I understand what you think. So I added a sentence above to soften the otherwise unnecessarily strident tone of my post which I can assure you was unintentional. Thank you for the reality check TWT.

Thanks for the diplomatic response. I realized in hindsight that my response was a bit caustic. Apologies...

aussieinhk

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
It Works!

:D

Ok. After several months of owning a HKD$13,000 paper weight, I found this thread, installed the MPEG2 option for Quicktime, changed the recording settings to SD. Voila! It works! Sound as well.

So bloody happy! At least now my new movies are editable. Just have to wait for HD-AVCHD support for the Gigs of files I've burned to DVD!

One thing that pissed me off though, as a registered owner of Quicktime Pro, why do I have to pay for the MPEG2 "Plug-in"?

Plain greedy if you ask me! :mad:

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
My dad just bought a sony DCR-SR72E i'm presuming it has the same MPEG-2 files as the afformentioned camera in the thread? If i get the MPEG-2 quicktime plug in will it allow me to edit the files i take off its hard drive in iMovie? or do i need to do that save to SD thing mentioned? And wont that severely limit recording times??

sonic01

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2007
No Sound!!!

I just installed the MPEG-2 playback component but I don't get any sound. Can anyone help with the next step so that I can get some audio?

I have the same problem. Got the picture but no sound. Did you find a solution?

geekism

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2007
Putting video files back onto a Sony HDR-SR1

Ok, I have been waiting patiently on the sidelines to see if some brilliant person could figure out how to make old files from my Sony HDR-SR1 work again. I had purchased the camera in 02/2007 and had to pull the files off to clear out space.

iMovie 08 came out in 08/2007 and said they supported AVCHD. Excellent, I thought! So I went a bought it, installed it, and still could not see anything on my camera. That was because the first 141 .CPI (index) files were deleted. I backed up the entire file structure from the camera, reformatted it and recorded another clip. The new clip was able to be seen from iMovie! I then tried to put some of the old .MTS and .CPI files back on the camera, but the camera said the database was corrupt and reset it. I could only see the new clip I had filmed. I then tried to put the old filesystem back in place, but the camera would not allow it. I kept resetting the last config.

I saw an entry in one of these forums to use the software from Sony to put files back on the camera. I then loaded XP in parallels on my MacBook Pro to do this. I got the software working and could see the camera and the clips that had been recorded since the format. But, there was no software to put files back on the camera that I could find.

I then did a chat session with Sony to see if I was missing something. I wasn't. They said they don't have any software that could put the files back on. I would have to use other exporting software to do it. I asked if they could recommend one, but they said Sony cannot officially recommend anything.

Soooooo...I'm back to hoping some brilliant mind on this forum can help. Is there any software that will allow me to put a .MTS and a .CPI file back onto the Sony HDR-SR1? :eek:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Does anyone have any experience using Sony's new HD HDD Camcorder with the Mac. I'm looking to replace my 6 year old Canon ZR-10 and strongly considering this model. Doesn't seem to have a Firewire out though. I'm also wondering about AVCHD support within iMovie.

I offer a different opinion. We shoot in AVCHP and import to iMovie '08 with no problems. We also use Final Cut Express 4 which just came out without any problems. We use an iMac.

0ctane

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
Ok, I have been waiting patiently on the sidelines to see if some brilliant person could figure out how to make old files from my Sony HDR-SR1 work again. I had purchased the camera in 02/2007 and had to pull the files off to clear out space.

iMovie 08 came out in 08/2007 and said they supported AVCHD. Excellent, I thought! So I went a bought it, installed it, and still could not see anything on my camera. That was because the first 141 .CPI (index) files were deleted.
Soooooo...I'm back to hoping some brilliant mind on this forum can help. Is there any software that will allow me to put a .MTS and a .CPI file back onto the Sony HDR-SR1? :eek:
Well, I don't know about recreating the .CPI files, but you can still use those .MTS files. Voltaic can convert your MTS files to Apple Intermediate Codec formatted quicktime movies. No CLI files are required. Plus, it works on Intel & PowerPC Macs while iMovie08 is limited to Intel Macs for AVCHD use. So, you will at least be able to view and edit your old AVCHD files.

AndyFleming

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Ok, we have all waited for this for a long time.... You can import AVCHD into iMovie 08 - the rumor is though you may have to "delete" the standard def (Sony cams record both the standard and the AVCHD) from the camcorder and THEN iMovie will "see" the high def video. Also - check out http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/index.asp

This will definately work!!! (But only on Mac Pros!)

First, I wanted to say thanks for this advice -- it did work. But also, I wanted to add that it worked on a MacBook as well. Again, thanks -- I was pulling my hair out ;-(

Regards,
Andy Fleming

murrytw

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I offer a different opinion. We shoot in AVCHP and import to iMovie '08 with no problems. We also use Final Cut Express 4 which just came out without any problems. We use an iMac.

How did you do that? I tried to import from the AVCHP folder I copied from my HDR-S1 camera and imovie doen't recognize the MTS files from the "STREAM" subfolder or the CPI files from the "CLIPINF" subfolder

sharpnaïf

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
First the seat, then the beast

I bought a Sony HDR-SR5E (AVCHD), and after trying it once successfully with iMovie08 bought an iMac, with iLife 08 included, of course.
Then had trouble importing HD films to iMovie08, almost became "normal" trying to find a solution, and before throwing the whole out of the window, shot trouble:

1st import AND delete SD films from camcorder
2nd disconnect, connect once again camcorder to computer AND be finally able to view and import AVCHD to iMovie08!!

And won the wrist.

CilliGreene

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
I bought the Sony HDR-SR12 and decided to see what the test footage looked like on my Macbook Pro running Leopard with iMovie '08. I plugged in the USB connection to the camera and after a few minutes (5 mins-ish) iMovie detected the camera and offered to import the movies - cool :)

For others it might take a shorter time for iMovie to detect your camera-have faith. Macs "just work" :p

(apologies for the non-technical post but, hey, this is my first time)

CilliGreene

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
ok so I disconnected the camera after importing some initial test clips and shot some more. Reconnected the camera and iMovie detected it almost instantly :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.