Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Z3 pictures from XDA
This might be my next phone….

iEKwY4JJYqz6Sd0P2qgDzCKPi8w8Y6ptxlyJCw6gO9Ju6RTrSgE2Do-jrAEK0-Cit_RRfg=s190

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B23J_aHn-BJhaDVNWjdMa252VWM&usp=sharing

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It's a great phone from what has been shown so far!

That battery life....phew

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's a great phone from what has been shown so far!

That battery life....phew

I know! Supposed to get 2 days battery life. this has been tested from people who actually have the international version.
The camera is fantastic! It already has root and unlocked boot loader.
Hopefully on Oct 9th Sony will announce it is to be available in the US soon.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I always tell myself as a gadget geek that I could never be 100% content on what I have. Right now, I feel 99% content. Most phones announced don't spike my interest at all. I probably will go back into console gaming. But as of today, that 1% of my gadget itch/lust is mainly from the XPERIA Z3 series!

14-15 hrs SOT (Wi-Fi and video playback)

38 DAYS of standby time

Just insane battery life. I'm now starting to laugh at that iPhone 6 battery screenshot thread in the iPhone forum just because how terrible it might compare to the Xperia Z3 Compact. SONY simply dusted their competition in the battery marathon and did it with a smaller smartphone with only a 2600 mAh to boot.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I ordered the Z3c but decided on the Z3 in the end, it arrived yesterday and lives up to the hype, it's a premium build phone that feels and looks great. I have ordered the magnetic charging dock so I dont need to mess around with the panels all the time. :cool:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
In depth review of the Sony Xperia Z3 from Neowin.
The best one I have seen......
Can't wait to see this in person. Hopefully Oct 9th it will be coming to the US.

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-xperia-z3-and-official-magnetic-dock-review

Wow that's a great review. Great info in there. Didn't know about that site, thanks for sharing!

This phone is looking better and better. I'm going with my gf today as she buys hers, will see if I can hijack it now and then and post my impressions here in a few days! ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow that's a great review. Great info in there. Didn't know about that site, thanks for sharing!

This phone is looking better and better. I'm going with my gf today as she buys hers, will see if I can hijack it now and then and post my impressions here in a few days! ;)
That would be great! ....can't wait to see what your thoughts are..........

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I ordered the Z3c but decided on the Z3 in the end, it arrived yesterday and lives up to the hype, it's a premium build phone that feels and looks great. I have ordered the magnetic charging dock so I dont need to mess around with the panels all the time. :cool:

Can you post your thoughts on the device and some pics? Thanks! :)

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Wow.. never even heard about this phone until now. Very nice looking indeed.. will be interested to see if it comes to AT&T in the US.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
That would be great! ....can't wait to see what your thoughts are..........

First impressions - haven't had a lot of hands on time because the carrier rep gave us a micro sim instead of a nano...uhh.... So my gf is out getting the new sim now... I also reckon I won't get a lot of time to test this phone myself as the lady is totally in love with this thing and won't put it down lol :p

But anyways, from playing around with it a bit at least:

- Build quality is really top notch. For me personally the overall feel was the best I've tested after the iPhones. In a way I liked it better than the iP6 because it feels more sturdy and a bit less slippery. A bit heavier than the iP6 but I don't mind at all, it feels just right. This is a very, very nice looking phone. A clear step up from the Z2, especially the edges look nicer and more in line with the design as a whole. My gf has the copper version which looks OK in terms of color, but I also handled the white and black versions in the store and personally I thought they looked better (don't tell my gf I said that ;)) The white one is utterly gorgeous, probably the best looking white version of a phone I've seen...

- The screen is gorgeous. I've read that the color balance is supposed to be a bit off but it was nothing that bothered me so far. In any case the color tone can be set manually with R/G/B sliders which is nice. Max brightness on manual actually hurt my eyes! It doesn't get dim enough as I'd like for use in a totally dark room though, I would have to install the Screen Filter app on this one to go dark enough for late night reading/surfing etc.

- In terms of UI performance, this thing is laser fast and smooth. No stutters in sight and apps open very fast. Actually the camera was shockingly fast to open, pretty much instantaneous! Haven't tried any games or demanding apps yet though. But I suspect this phone won't leave anyone wanting in terms of performance, this is a full-on state of the art flagship, no doubt about that.

- When you press the multitasking button, at the bottom of the screen you get these options to open the calculator, browser and timer as little popup apps that sit on top of whatever else you do. I loved the calculator! And the browser seemed to be a version of Chrome which was cool.

- Only tried the camera very briefly but it focused very fast, and as I said it was super quick to open which is important. Also I love that the phone has a separate camera button. I wish more phones had that. I especially like being able to half-press that button to focus manually without having to tap the screen to do it. I took a few quick shots in low light and with the light source right in front of me, they looked promising. But no serious testing done yet.

- The box did not contain the OTG cable which I've read that it does in some countries, but a Sony rep is present in one of the Android forums here in Sweden and he offers to send one for free if you just ring him up and give him your IMEI number. Nice touch! This also seems promising for customer support in general.

- A pair of earbuds were in the box however. They look high quality and are supposedly noise cancelling, for which the phone has a special function. Didn't get to test them yet but I suspect that this will work well - this is Sony after all.

- The speakers are loud! Clearly the loudest phone speakers I've tested bar those on the M8. Though the bass is a lot weaker here. In any case two front facing speakers is so nice to have, I really miss this on my Note 2 and I'll miss it with the Note 4 too.

- The SIM tray is difficult to eject and very flimsy, made of this very brittle kind of plastic. I didn't like this. At first we couldn't figure out how to even get it out, we had to pry it out using a paper clip. The metal tray on my old 4S is 100% better and I can see a lot of people having grief over the one in this phone and probably it gets broken a lot. Unnecessary.

- One more exception from the overall very good build quality - the power button. This sticks out a lot and wiggles a little, and doesn't give any reassuring 'click' when pressed. I could see this breaking further down the line. Again unnecessary... But not a huge deal.

- The gaskets that sit on top of the sim tray/SD card slots are well made however, very easy to open and close again. This was a relief as I though they might be a real nuisance to fiddle with all the time.

- I asked the Sony rep in the store about a magnetic charging cable that would utilise the magnetic charging point on the side, but he says Sony will not be selling any such cables. I hope it will be possible to find a third party one - so much nicer than having to open the gasket for every charge. And using the charging dock will only be possible with a naked phone or using Sony's own special flip cover case.

So yeah, that's all I have for now. Overall first impression is very, very good. Sony have definitely sharpened the Z line design and this phone just feels so yummy. If I wasn't so hooked on larger screens, this is probably the one I would choose for myself right now. The form factor is great, a very slick and high quality feeling device, and with quite a nimble footprint given the screen size.

I'll write more if my gf lets me handle it some more...and I'll be sure to report on the battery life once we've seen how it does in that respect. But for now - I'll definitely be jealous of her until I get my Note 4!! :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'll write more if my gf lets me handle it some more...and I'll be sure to report on the battery life once we've seen how it does in that respect. But for now - I'll definitely be jealous of her until I get my Note 4!! :)

What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a in depth thoughtful review! You rock! I can't wait to get a Z3. Hopefully on Oct 9th Sony will announce plans for the US.

BTW...here is the magnetic cables so you don't have to bother with those flaps anymore!

http://www.amazon.com/kwmobile%C2%AE-charging-magnetic-Xperia-Compact/dp/B00NIY4BFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412181926&sr=8-1&keywords=charging+cable+for+xperia+z3

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I was ready to jump on the Note 4 after playing with it but I want to see what the plan is for the US with the Sony. And I want to keep an eye out for the upcoming Nexus.

Whenever either of those two are available to look at, I never had a Nexus or Sony smartphone so maybe it is time.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a in depth thoughtful review! You rock! I can't wait to get a Z3. Hopefully on Oct 9th Sony will announce plans for the US.

BTW...here is the magnetic cables so you don't have to bother with those flaps anymore!

http://www.amazon.com/kwmobile%C2%AE-charging-magnetic-Xperia-Compact/dp/B00NIY4BFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412181926&sr=8-1&keywords=charging+cable+for+xperia+z3

Hey thanks, my pleasure! Always so great to play with a brand new device... :)

And thanks a lot for the link, will be ordering one of those STAT!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I read that review, and it is a good one, but I was after some real world opinions. I also looked at those test photos and the are very good I have to say. But the review didn't say how easy the camera is to use. I am a total novice and as I understand the auto mode is hit and miss, so I wanted to know if you can use the manual settings for 1080P video recording, and how easy are the manual settings to use?
I don't mind which OS my phone has, but I really want a smaller device then my Nexus 5 with a reasonable to good battery life and a very good camera.

Can the Z3 Compact camera in manual mode produce better results then the iPhone 6 camera?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I read that review, and it is a good one, but I was after some real world opinions. I also looked at those test photos and the are very good I have to say. But the review didn't say how easy the camera is to use. I am a total novice and as I understand the auto mode is hit and miss, so I wanted to know if you can use the manual settings for 1080P video recording, and how easy are the manual settings to use?
I don't mind which OS my phone has, but I really want a smaller device then my Nexus 5 with a reasonable to good battery life and a very good camera.

Can the Z3 Compact camera in manual mode produce better results then the iPhone 6 camera?
I am not sure anyone has compared the camera of the Z3 Compact to the IP6 yet.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I think Sony nailed it in 3 areas with the Z3C -

- Efficiency with a sub-3000 mAh capacity. Most other smartphones are phablets which need 3000-4000 mAh capacity and slower SoC.

- Dimensions. Smallest with high performance and specs.

- Z3C is the best smartphone with a 720p display and best sub-5 inch screen phone on the market. Personally, all my videos are at 720p anyway to save space as quality between 1080p vs 720p videos on a 5 inch or less screen is quite negligible.

Sony has come pretty close perfecting battery efficiency and high performance found on a sub 5 inch smartphone. For them to squeeze out even more juice next year would come as a surprise. Any room for improvement might be much smaller for them next year. The successor to the Z3C would likely be bigger and have 1080p.

And I do believe in Sony's claim of two days of use. If GSMArena's battery test is accurate at about 15 hrs Wi-Fi and video playback on the Z3C, it is possible to go two days of "heavy use" while not bombarding it with heavy 3D games. I consider 8 hr SOT heavy usage already. That's how much I go until I charge my phone overnight. So split that 15 hrs into 7.5 SOT per day. If I am at work, my SOT is only 2-3 hrs. Since the Z3 range eats up very little while on standby (perhaps only 2.5% drain per day), it means if most people only avg 3-4 hrs SOT on work days, the usage can last 4 days! Take the charger off Monday morning and start charging it again Thursday night.

Sony simply made the ultimate outdoor smartphone of all-time in a pocket-friendly footprint. This pair can truly last during camping weekends or days of blackouts. Maybe the Z3 range is the first time since 2006 that I'm actually excited about a Sony product.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Can you post your thoughts on the device and some pics? Thanks! :)

I don't really know what to say, it's a well built phone probably on par with an iPhone, it's made of good materials and feels worth the money I have spent on it. the OS is snappy and flows really well, it opens apps faster than any of my other of my devices including my ipad (my iPad is about 2 years old running iOS8). The speakers are very loud and clear and the walkman app downloads album covers and correct song names for your MP3's (there wasn't 100% success rate but a decent return). I can't upload pictures at the moment as I am at work but will see what I can do when I get home. The battery seems to live up to the Hype I am 12 hours and 31 mins off charge and have 71% battery left, granted I slept for about 6 hours of that though. (Thats with 91 minutes screen on time and about an hour of bluetooth music through to my car as well). You can set the stamina mode to come on automatically I set it for 15% battery remaining. The screen looks and feels nice and I havent felt the need to make any adjustments to it since it came out the box.
My Magnetic Charging dock is due to arrive tomorrow.

If you have any questions fire away.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't really know what to say, it's a well built phone probably on par with an iPhone, it's made of good materials and feels worth the money I have spent on it. the OS is snappy and flows really well, it opens apps faster than any of my other of my devices including my ipad (my iPad is about 2 years old running iOS8). The speakers are very loud and clear and the walkman app downloads album covers and correct song names for your MP3's (there wasn't 100% success rate but a decent return). I can't upload pictures at the moment as I am at work but will see what I can do when I get home. The battery seems to live up to the Hype I am 12 hours and 31 mins off charge and have 71% battery left, granted I slept for about 6 hours of that though. (Thats with 91 minutes screen on time and about an hour of bluetooth music through to my car as well). You can set the stamina mode to come on automatically I set it for 15% battery remaining. The screen looks and feels nice and I havent felt the need to make any adjustments to it since it came out the box.
My Magnetic Charging dock is due to arrive tomorrow.

If you have any questions fire away.

Thanks!

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I have taken some random photos with different features to test the camera. I'm not the best photographer so I'll leave you all to make your minds up. I'm happy with it fwiw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.