Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
Ok so some of you may have known that i was recieving my brand new Dell 2405FPW Display today...So i got it and when i set it all up i noticed there was big black line down the middle and a crack in the LCD!!!!! I'm having to get a new one sent too me and I have to send this one back but STILL! im so angry and upset i can't use it today ... oh well just wanted to vent...DAMNIT DELL!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
To tell you the truth, Dell is a good company. It really is. Look how far they have gone.

You gotta get passed OMG I ONLY LIKE APPLE!!!! Dell and HP are good companies. They make mistakes. Apple makes mistakes.

Just because they sell there machines with Microsoft Windows, doesn't mean they are a bad comany.

I do hate Dell though :p :cool:

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
lilstewart92 said:
To tell you the truth, Dell is a good company. It really is. Look how far they have gone.

You gotta get passed OMG I ONLY LIKE APPLE!!!! Dell and HP are good companies. They make mistakes. Apple makes mistakes.

Just because they sell there machines with Microsoft Windows, doesn't mean they are a bad comany.

I do hate Dell though :p :cool:
Poster did not say he thought Dell was a bad company, or that he only liked Apple....what you are talking about.

He said he is mad a Dell. I would be a little mad if my new monitor showed up like that.

wrxguy:
Sorry to hear about your shipment. Sucks. Happens though, just try to be patient. Maybe go outside and kick someones dog ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
stuff like this happens, it will be alright in the end though. just have to be patient, which is hard i know.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
Im just sitting here looking at this beautiul monitor with a crack in it....its so depressing, and since im out of town i have to fly this one home with me, and get the new one at my house and send this one back then....So i have to wait even longer now...its just sad :(

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
VanMac said:
Poster did not say he thought Dell was a bad company, or that he only liked Apple....what you are talking about.

He said he is mad a Dell. I would be a little mad if my new monitor showed up like that.

wrxguy:
Sorry to hear about your shipment. Sucks. Happens though, just try to be patient. Maybe go outside and kick someones dog ;)

Well, don't talk about kicking someone's dog. That's not funny either.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Why are you mad?

They're replacing it for free!

If I had brought it second hand, or Dell refused to replace it, then i'd be MAD, but as it is, seems Dell have, unusually, done the right thing.

xoxo T

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
U still can use your computer right? Dont you have an old CRT or something lying around?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
wrxguy said:
Ok so some of you may have known that i was recieving my brand new Dell 2405FPW Display today...So i got it and when i set it all up i noticed there was big black line down the middle and a crack in the LCD!!!!! I'm having to get a new one sent too me and I have to send this one back but STILL! im so angry and upset i can't use it today ... oh well just wanted to vent...DAMNIT DELL!
Even if you hate Dell with a passion, you can hardly blame this on them. LCD defects happen, hell, they didn't even make the panel. As far as the crack, couriers suck.

You'll be singing their praises when they get a replacement to you ;)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
meh, **** happens i guess..

thankfully i've never had the pleasure of personally dealing with dell's 'home' products.

however, they're damn fast with getting servers out to their business customers..

in fact, if they didn't lie on their new 'dell ditty' ads (saying people should listen at 74kbps or something? dell, grow up..) i can't think of a reason why i hate dell..

..oh, except michael dell is a tool :rolleyes:

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
I became sick of Dell back in 2002-2003. We bought a Dimension desktop with a top-of-the line 15" Viewsonic LCD in January 2002. ($600 monitor... YIKES... now the thing looks like ancient tech, big black frame around the screen)

Anyway, the DVD-ROM/CD-RW went out after about 4 months. They had me reformat the hard drive. When that didn't work, they had me do some sort of BIOS reflash, which cured the problem for a week. They then sent me a new computer and I sent back the old one. Problem solved.

Then, the monitor went out three weeks later. Odd rippling patterns and wavy lines and green hues until it became totally unreadable. I was on the phone for 4.5 hours working out how to get a replacement. Dell claims it wasn't their problem and that I needed to contact Viewsonic. Contacted Viewsonic... not their problem because it was sold through Dell.

I then called Dell back and they told me the warranty did not cover user damage to the monitor. 45 minutes of explaining later and 4 way conference call with a Dell Tech Support agent, Viewsonic Tech Support agent, Viewsonic Manager/Higherup and Me they finally figured out that there is no way I could ruin the internal circuitry of the monitor. Dell agreed it was under warranty, but since Dell no longer carried that model and was now going to Dell-branded LCDs Viewsonic would send a replacement.

Two weeks later, two boxes arrived. Two new monitors. One Dell-branded, once Viewsonic. Both asking for my old monitor. Called Dell... they made me pay return postage for their monitor which they sent by mistake. If I refused to send it back unless they paid for postage I would then be charged for the monitor. Viewsonic also made me pay for postage.

Now, in 2005 my mom has the Dell. The DVD drive no longer works and the keyboard is shot so she got a new one of those. Also, the hard drive seems to be going out and makes really loud, obnoxious noises.

I am pretty sure she will be getting a mini soon, but she's got the usual "switcher fears"

So anyway, this is why I cannot stand Dell whatsoever.

20+ logged hours of phone time from the cellphone bills over those few months. Dell was nice when I called for reimbursement. 1200 minutes of cellphone time (from a few months). They gave me a reibursement of $120 (10 cents per minute) once I faxed them copies of the bills.

That is my rant. Then again, I've got a rant about my former iPod mini and how much of hassle it was to replace that. Good luck with your monitor.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Dell test their products before they send them. Some redneck in Kansas probably dropped your screen on the ground durring shipping. Blame him.

Yesterday I received my 2005fpw, the monitor slated to have severe backlight issues. It works like a charm.

By the way, I have an apple 23" ACD and I prefer the dell. If I had the cash, I'd replace the ACD with a 2405fpw.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
desenso said:
Dell test their products before they send them. Some redneck in Kansas probably dropped your screen on the ground durring shipping. Blame him.

Yesterday I received my 2005fpw, the monitor slated to have severe backlight issues. It works like a charm.

By the way, I have an apple 23" ACD and I prefer the dell. If I had the cash, I'd replace the ACD with a 2405fpw.
Actually I believe the ACD and 2005FPW are the same monitor (different sizes, obviously). The LCD screens for both are made by the same company so the only difference is the packaging and the price (e.g. Apple's insane prices for LCD's).

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
superbovine said:
was the box damaged when you got it? perhaps it was the shipping company?

I work a huge IT reseller here in Australia and this is more likely than not. We have had network printers turn up crushed, I've watched pallets of monitors fall off a truck, I've seen servers get dropped, oh the humanity! Now I'm not saying all couriers are like this but the ones I've seen while I've been cruising through works 2 warehouses on my way to my office don't really think about the price of the hardware, and actually why should they it is all insured?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
im_to_hyper said:
Well, I suppose the main thing I was trying to say before is this: now that they are replacing it with no hassle you are lucky. Sometimes shipping companies can damage packages.

I had a job for a wholesaler dealing with the buyers and their problems with goods. We had a deal worked out with certain companies where we invested in an inventory and product testing system which forced us to make sure all goods were in good condition when they left us. The carrier then had to pay for any problems iwth the goods when they were delivered. Dell probably didn't pay a cent for your cracked LCD - they just called UPS or FedEX and filed a damage claim with them. The carrier then writes them a check for the shipping costs and the cost to replace the LCD.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
wrxguy said:

I understand your mad, but things could be worse like not having the money to afford a 24" monitor. I'm not preaching to you, hell if i had the money i would buy one too.

I was in the Apple Store today and was using the 30" ACD it honestly was to big. The keyboard was right under the monitor and i therefore had to turn my head to look at different parts of the screen!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.