Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Applecare has to be registered with apple within 365 days. If you order it online and it arrives on day 366 then you'll be out of luck.
And a call to Apple CS will probably resolve that if you show them you purchased it within a year in good faith.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
That seller has a huge number of transactions with over 99% positive feedback. He looks legit. I have purchased 5 applecare plans on ebay with them just sending me the code. All have been good. What they do is buy a huge batch of codes, then resell them. So they don't have a bunch of boxes to hand out, they just have a load of redemption codes.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
My macbook will be turning one year on January 27th. I was just caught up with school stuff and work so I didn't have chance to actually pull the trigger on the Applecare. I did look around on the internet about the Applecare... I did find this seller called Electronic-king-inc on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-AppleCare-Apple-Care-Warranty-for-MacBook-Air-13_W0QQitemZ390146973001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad6925d49
When I asked the seller about the box and that I was wanting in the original box he was saying that they can only send out the code through emails atm.
I tried to find out the reason then he asked me where I lived... So far no further communication with him.

I found the other seller called Mac.Forever http://cgi.ebay.ca/13-3-MacBook-Pro-Air-Extended-AppleCare-Plan-SAVE_W0QQitemZ320478274543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9dfe63ef He clearly says about sending the code through email... and claiming that that is all I will "need".

I am running out of time and it is coming down to buy from the ebay sellers and risk the scam or just don't buy the Applecare at all and risk my future incidents....

Please help me out here... I know there are many many posts saying not to buy from the ebay sellers unless they provide the boxes...

Currently I don't travel with my Macbook much but next year I will be living in a resident at the campus so I am little skeptical about not having the Applecare...

Any suggestion or advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.
-Chris-

I bolded that part of your question, because although I know it wasn't what you were asking about, but I want to make sure you're not misinformed about AppleCare. AppleCare is *not* insurance. If your MacBook is accidentally damaged, stolen, or lost Apple will not help you with or without AppleCare. I still think AppleCare is a great idea, but if you are concerned with it being damaged, stolen, or lost because of travel or living in a dormitory you might want supplemental insurance. I've used safeware.com before, but I'm not sure if they do business in Canada.

If you're at the last minute and have to buy it, you should be able to call Apple and buy it over the phone or net and give AppleCare the web order number to have it registered. I'm pretty sure that should work. You can get the EDU discount directly through Apple as well.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I appreciate all your advices and tips!!!

I looked at the SmallDog and LA Computer Company they both listed their products for $199.99

I have one last question about the Applecare. It says that I have to purchase the item within 365 days of purchase on Apple product. I bought mine on January 27th which only gives me about 4 days now. Let's say that I order it online but the product doesn't come before 27th. Will I be able to register it successfully? Oh and Applecare covers for another 2 more years... I did hear once I think that apple will only cover one major repair or something... Does the applecare run out after once I use it or is it covered for until the remaining time runs out?

Thanks so much all you guys!!!

LA Computers wants about $10 to ship it where with Smalldog you can buy some little $1.99 toy to push the order just over the $200 mark and get their free shipping (ground). However, if you need it by the 27th, then I'd plan on paying the extra $$ for overnight shipping and buy from the seller who is closest to you.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
That seller has a huge number of transactions with over 99% positive feedback. He looks legit. I have purchased 5 applecare plans on ebay with them just sending me the code. All have been good. What they do is buy a huge batch of codes, then resell them. So they don't have a bunch of boxes to hand out, they just have a load of redemption codes.

The only problem with your explanation is that Apple doesn't seem to sell "code only" in huge batches for resale to consumers :eek:

In any event if Apple question the validity of your Applecare, they expect you to present either the serial number from the box or a receipt from an authorized reseller.....neither of which you'll have if you bought "code only" on ebay.

Over the last year there's been more than one thread on these forums about buying applecare on ebay.....here's one; https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/

And here's a link to an ebay warning about fake applecare on ebay; http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235

So inform yourself before you buy.....and only proceed if you're comfortable with the risks

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Thank you all for changing my mind on buying it on ebay!!! I just placed an order on Apple.ca and I will call Apple tomorrow if it is okay to register as soon as it arrives my house. So with the Education discount it came down to 218 dollars. Not as cheap as ebay but it isn't 300 dollars that I was expecting. I hope it will pay off in the future. Now I need to worry about if Apple will let me register after my initial warranty runs out lol I will make sure to post after the call with an agent from Apple.

Thanks again guys and have a good evening :D
From Canada
-Chris-

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Thank you all for changing my mind on buying it on ebay!!! I just placed an order on Apple.ca and I will call Apple tomorrow if it is okay to register as soon as it arrives my house. So with the Education discount it came down to 218 dollars. Not as cheap as ebay but it isn't 300 dollars that I was expecting. I hope it will pay off in the future. Now I need to worry about if Apple will let me register after my initial warranty runs out lol I will make sure to post after the call with an agent from Apple.

Thanks again guys and have a good evening :D
From Canada
-Chris-

since you are buying direct from Apple......if you call and buy, they will activate it immediately while you are on the phone

dsiew81

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
You could also call and see if they might extend your warranty for a week. Not sure if that's possible, but worth a shot if you are not buying and activating over the phone.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I asked the seller about the box and that I was wanting in the original box he was saying that they can only send out the code through emails atm. "

Any "new" Applecare sold "without the box" is a SCAM, plain and simple.

Consider yourself as having been duly warned by reading this.

Yes, it _may_ seem to "register OK" on Apple's site. That's because the scammers use random code generators to create an AppleCare serial number which they then give to you, claiming they don't have the box. Apple will "accept" these bogus numbers because no one has tried to register the same number that is "bona fide" (i.e., actually is on a box of AppleCare). If at some point someone registers the same serial number as your "phony number", YOUR AppleCare will be invalidated and you may not find out till you bring the computer in for service.

Consider this:
ALL AppleCare "boxes" are the same..... EXCEPT FOR the serial number code printed on the outside of the box. THAT NUMBER is what makes a particular AppleCare policy valid.

They won't provide the box?
They don't HAVE a valid number to give you.

It's really that simple.

If you want AppleCare, order it right away from either amazon.com or the L.A. Computer Company. Both are legitimate resellers who WILL give you a box with a GENUINE serial number on it.

Buy from someone who won't give you the box, and - well - you may get exactly what you've paid for.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I am not saying that anything anyone has said here isn't true; I simply don't know. However, am I the only one who thinks that it's ridiculous that a hard copy is necessary to be sure that you have a valid code? I mean, especially with Apple, or even Microsoft, for that matter.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Just bought applecare from "macman812" on ebay - had the code in an email by the third hour after buying on a sunday. The code worked and it was under $60 for my mini.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Just got off the phone with Apple sale department. Apparently, even if it comes later than January 27th I will be able to activate it, since as long as you purchase it within initial warranty period. Thanks again guys for helping me out :p

Maybe I will try to purchase Applecare on ebay for other apple products. But for laptops... I will stick with Applestore.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.