Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinuaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Hawaii
I am an improvident fool. i was compiling research on a disc that hadn't been burned. after finishing, i went to burn it and it failed. files disappeared. oh uh! where do they go? they've got to be somewhere, right? please help, or i'm screwed!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
kevinuaa said:
I am an improvident fool. i was compiling research on a disc that hadn't been burned. after finishing, i went to burn it and it failed. files disappeared. oh uh! where do they go? they've got to be somewhere, right? please help, or i'm screwed!
Unless you deleted your files before you burned them to the CD, the originals are right where they were before. I don't know what you did wrong, but I will tell you how to do it correctly with a minimum of fuss.

Insert your CD-R/RW in your Mac's optical drive. Its icon should appear on your desktop.
Drag your files to the CD-R/RW's icon.
When you have selected and copied all of the files that you want to burn, rename the CD-R/RW to whatever you want its name to be. (You may also do this before you drag your files to it.
Drag your CD-R/RW's icon to toward the trask. The trashcan icon will change to a burn icon. You may also click the burn icon next to the CD's icon in a Finder window sidebar.
When it finished burning, the CD-R/RW will be a plain CD.

Mac's tend to take a while to burn and verify a CD-R or CD-RW. Don't futz with your optical disk before it finishes burning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.