Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Hi, for some reason recently, my version of quicktime (7.5) has stopped playing the sound on my movies..sound is working fine on the rest of my computer, and yes, i did check if the volume was on and all the settings boxes checked in the right places...hehe. any ideas anyone? cheers.

atomoboy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
No new software installed and you're trying the same type files as before or better yet a file that previously worked? Is other sound still working?

If it's new files, it possible you're trying to play something encoded with a codec you don't have installed.

Try reinstalling QuickTime first and see if it persists.

eemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
hmm, well i reinstalled, and still nada. I am playing .avi files, if that helps?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Try this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2178

Sometimes misbehaving programs will change the audio output sample rate to something really high and leave it there. Not all codecs can handle that rate so no sound is played.

eemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Yep I have Perian, and my audio output settings are all fine according to that links. Thanks though, any other ideas?

tigermurphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Perian worked

I "upgraded" to Quicktime 7.5 and also lost the sound on my movies. Movies (and audio) in h.264 and sorenson 3 play fine when I bring them into iTunes, but they weren't working in QT. Installing the Perian file into QT seems to have the fixed the problem.

Now I would just like to know why my Sorenson 3 codec disappeared when I upgraded. argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.