Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have noticed that My paired HomePod 2 is very interesting in sound reproduction. Some tracks sound fantastic and others are horrible. This is something I have not run into since the early days of CD's. In the beginning you could sell toilet flushes with fart sounds just as long as it was on a CD, and you would have to fork over 17 bucks to get it. Apex Twin did this on his emulator keyboards.

In the beginning you had a source code, AAA = all analog dumped as is on the CD. ADD = Analog master digital remixed and Digital recording. Than DDD all digital.

Some AAA recordings like the 1952 RCA Victory At Sea sound tracks were fantastic, others like Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida i ( stoner for "In the Garden of Eden") sounded like it was recorded in someones garage with a boombox onto cheap cassette tape. The record executives being to crooks they are didn't care as long as they sold it in large numbers. There were well recorded CD's Telarc, the top classical labels, Angle, RCA, Windham Hill Records. It was an interesting time.

ADD, and DDD were a big improvement. But the ADD's because of the fidelity of original analog masters the digital conversions was a chancy thing. A Vinyl LP hides a lot of rough edges. The rough edges blasted out on a CD. The first In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida CD I purchased was so bad I returned for a refund.

Here is what happened, and it never stops putting a smile on my face. The CD player was first introduced in Japan sales exploded. Sony was looking for content so they came to America with a fat check book. The above recording gangsters thought they had a sucker and sold off all of the worthless recording master's they had stuffed in the metaphorical closet Sony knew what they wanted and they purchased all the top masters they could get their hands on. Move forward about 4 years. The CD finally made it big in the USA. The above crooks had a big problem, guess were all of the original and best first cut master disks were now located, yep Sony had them in Japan. Thankfully we are long past this period.

I am rather surprised by these HomePods. I am listening ambient Artist Steve Roach his soundscapes are fantastic on the HomePod 2's. But others like some of the many Movie soundtracks I have are awful. It is mostly because of the spatial audio they sound great on the iPhone with Apple Music coming from my iPhone into the FiiO BTR5, and BTR7. With Etymōtic ER4SR's, or the SE-425's earphones. It is because of this I don't use the HomePods much. But today when I started playing Steve Roaches Blood Moon ambient recording it was astonishing how good they can sound when the source music is a match for it software.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've found the HomePods to be fairly consistent when applying their "computational audio" to various recordings. Some sound better than others, but even the poorest sound fairly decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.