Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

networknerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
On Apple's website for the eMAC, off to the side it talks about a Sound Studio application. It says...

" Sound Studio - Now there?s an easy way to get into digital audio editing on your eMac. Sound Studio lets you digitize your collection of vinyl records and tapes, record live performances, and edit and apply effects to your sound files. When you?re done, you can import your edited tracks into iTunes and burn your own CDs, or use them as soundtracks for your iMovie projects."

Link - eMAC Software Page

I don't have an app on my eMAC (6-mos old) called Sound Studio. I can't seem to find any info on it at the Apple Support site. Is this just a mistake on Apple's part, my mistake, or hint of something to come?

pauld

macrumors regular
This App has been dead useful for me (cutting up samples etc). Just download the trial (lets you use it unlimited around 15 times I think) then delete and reinstall when your time is up!

Will it come with eMacs now?

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Well, this is very good.

I have been using Sound Studio for around 9 months and i've found it to be a great programme - really easy to use for basic sound recording, editing and compression into a number of audio formats. It also has a number of features that takes you into more high-end audio manipulation.

This was really a life-saver when I was doing an Oral History project at University during the summer of last year!!

Exciting news for Felt Tip software. Well done to them

- p

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
I have a feeling that they were just promoting the app and not really saying it comes with the computer.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Sound recording app for OS X

Sound Studio is a great utility for simple editing of single audio files and it works reliably as a sound recorder as well. Having said that, Apple should have an equally reliable sound recording and editing application included with every copy of OS X.

networknerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Yeah, I agree that they're promoting a 3rd party app (thanks for the link and info). Funny, though, usually Apple has a link to 3rd parties when they mention their applications.

I've always believed that Apple would come out with a new "i" app called iSound, or iMusic or iStudio that was a lite version of Logic. We'll see.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Sound Studio COMES with latest imac and eMacs

Where i work we just got the 1 gig iMac 17 and Sound Studio is a bundled app. So it is probably on all new iMacs and eMacs as a standard app.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
They bundled IE, and created Safari in the meantime. They bundled PCalc, and created their own calculator. They bundled Outlook Express and now everybody has Mail.app.

I see something coming...

...at leat if you look through colored glasses!

redsun

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
Sound Studio DOES come with new iBooks & eMacs

Hey folks. The eMacs & iBooks both come with Sound Studio. It's fun to record your own voice into Sound Studio, through the built in mic, and export to iTunes. Hopefully Apple will really produce an iMovie-like audio app. Release the DJ in us all!

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
I have sound studio and have used it for recording live bands. While it is only two track, making it impossible to edit and adjust levels on individual instruments or voices, it has been absolutely wonderful for me.

I have also used it to make and edit CD's for weddings, discreetly amplifying the volume of the vows (which microphones never pick up well enough), removing pops and crackles, the odd cough that is overbearing, etc.

A very good program for 50.00. While it won't do a whole band for editing, it will record a live performance well, and it's great if you don't want to face the daunting learning curve of other multi-track (and some that aren't) programs.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Yeah, this app works great for me. Similar to CoolEdit 2000 on Windows. Combined with the fantastic Audio Hijack Pro, it makes it easy to edit recordings of streaming audio, like NPR RealAudio streams. :)

anneleonard

macrumors regular
I bought a 17" iMac in March & it was bundled, thankfully. I've been using it for editing AIFFs that I capture with Audio Hijack, as some streams often have talking, or are within a radio program. I've found it reasonably easy to use but I feel like I need to do a tutorial in it or something, because some aspects are confusing! I was trying to delete a few half-seconds of silence as the stream I was recording paused when it was reloading the stream. I just couldn't work out how to delete it! I think the challenge is there for Apple to make something as usable & intuitive as iMovie for audio, definitely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.