Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Because americans aren't patriotic?

We claim to be, but we don't act that way.

The marketshare of Kia/Hyundai in South Korea is something like (not a quote, but I've been there and seen it myself) 80%

The marketshare of Samsung/LG in South Korea is something like (again not a quote, but my experience there) 90%

Unless you live in Detroit, chances are about 55% of cars on domestic. And instead of paying extra for clothes and furniture made in the US, we rush to Walmart and get Chinese made crap to save a few bucks.

So we can wave the flag as much as we want, the South Koreans put their money where their ideals are, and that's respectable.

sonyisawesome

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2012
We claim to be, but we don't act that way.

The marketshare of Kia/Hyundai in South Korea is something like (not a quote, but I've been there and seen it myself) 80%

The marketshare of Samsung/LG in South Korea is something like (again not a quote, but my experience there) 90%

Unless you live in Detroit, chances are about 55% of cars on domestic. And instead of paying extra for clothes and furniture made in the US, we rush to Walmart and get Chinese made crap to save a few bucks.

So we can wave the flag as much as we want, the South Koreans put their money where their ideals are, and that's respectable.
So they are exactly just like japan then.

kdarling

macrumors P6
For a long time, South Koreans could only afford cheap Korean built cars.

Then, as the cars got better, trade tariffs were put into place, to make sure people bought local. And yes, patriotism was also used as an incentive.

Now, things have reversed a bit, and the younger generation is able to buy imported automobiles for the first time... and they are.

sonyisawesome

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2012
For a long time, South Koreans could only afford cheap Korean built cars.

Then, as the cars got better, trade tariffs were put into place, to make sure people bought local. And yes, patriotism was also used as an incentive.

Now, things have reversed a bit, and the younger generation is able to buy imported automobiles for the first time... and they are.
I don't get it. Whats your point? That's just like any developed nation in the world. That was just like how japan was back in the 70s-80s. Same thing is happening in China right now, so what?

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
The point is, patriotism isn't the only or even main reason why S. Koreans buy local items.

Just as anywhere else, cost is a major factor.

Cost isn't the major factor in Korea. Do you know how many people in Korea drive imported cars (BMW, audi, porsche, etc.)? Tons of people in Korea have iphones as well.

The same scenario could be said about the Detroit / Michigan area. More than half the cars are domestic. Same thing with Japan, most of the products Japanese people own or use are Japanese.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.