Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I just went to apple.com to buy a black leather band for my Space Black Series 2 Apple Watch and... there is no leather band with space black stainless steel hardware. So I'm forever stuck with a black sport band, unless I want to shell out $200-$550 for a milanese or link band.
:mad:

I bought the Black leather loop to go with my SG AW Sport originally. Now, that I have the SB SS, the black leather loop is my favorite band. I also have the black nylon, a black/gray Nike knock-off and the original black sport. The little bit of chrome on the back of the leather loop is hardly noticeable and in fact, I never even see it until I take the band off. It rests on the far side of my wrist, so all I see is the black leather.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I bought the Black leather loop to go with my SG AW Sport originally. Now, that I have the SB SS, the black leather loop is my favorite band. I also have the black nylon, a black/gray Nike knock-off and the original black sport. The little bit of chrome on the back of the leather loop is hardly noticeable and in fact, I never even see it until I take the band off. It rests on the far side of my wrist, so all I see is the black leather.

Of all bands I own, which is 25 plus bands,
The leather loop is by far the most comfortable I own.

ninjaplz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
hello there

proud new owner of an SB SS apple watch here and I was wondering does anyone here uses a case to protector their device? I know it seems silly to use a case for a watch but good lord I never knew how much my hands bump into walls till I started wearing a watch.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
hello there

proud new owner of an SB SS apple watch here and I was wondering does anyone here uses a case to protector their device? I know it seems silly to use a case for a watch but good lord I never knew how much my hands bump into walls till I started wearing a watch.

I don't use a case, knock on wood, and my first generation stainless black stayed pretty nice. I've had a couple warranty replacements, but the actual appearance never degraded.

I have noticed that as the months go by, I don't run into things with the watch as much. Try to train yourself to be a bit more careful, unless you work a job that makes that impractical.

To those that asked about the link bracelet, I also got it as the $1099 set before you could buy a space black watch any other way. I went through two back at the launch because both came with defective link bracelets, they didn't latch properly. Once I had a good one, I wore it maybe a month and switched to the sport band. I didn't want to risk hurting the link bracelet as it has been shown to be not quite as durable as the watch case itself, perhaps because it will naturally rub on things more. I do very much like it.

That is why I was considering a Milanese because it's a much cheaper option to have a nicer band and being able to keep my link bracelet tucked away.

ninjaplz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I don't use a case, knock on wood, and my first generation stainless black stayed pretty nice. I've had a couple warranty replacements, but the actual appearance never degraded.

I have noticed that as the months go by, I don't run into things with the watch as much. Try to train yourself to be a bit more careful, unless you work a job that makes that impractical.

im a nurse so im constantly on my feet. its gonna be hard i will try be careful

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just got my SB SS, wow it's nicer than I thought. I have a silver SS coming in the mail later today, but I'm surprised how much I like the black SS. It's not completely black, it's like a super dark grey. But I was expecting that as I'm very familiar with black anodized parts after heavily customizing a lot of motorcycle parts. The silver SS sometimes bothers me because it's so shiny and chrome like, Apple really should have made it brushed SS.

Still debating whether I keep them both or not.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Just got my SB SS, wow it's nicer than I thought. I have a silver SS coming in the mail later today, but I'm surprised how much I like the black SS. It's not completely black, it's like a super dark grey. But I was expecting that as I'm very familiar with black anodized parts after heavily customizing a lot of motorcycle parts. The silver SS sometimes bothers me because it's so shiny and chrome like, Apple really should have made it brushed SS.

I felt the same when I saw my SB SS in my own home. Before picking it up I was worried I'd not like it (even after trying it on at the Apple Store) and the shop I purchased it from don't accept opened returns. That all melted away when I opened it though and really prefer it over the SS now.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Pic of my SteveO strap and SB watch
73797cf4e9ce86f98791acb3a2ba9fc2.jpg
e0880bd0d49468d93c47e45ee6ffc9cb.jpg
e420b1e837988d7f53f82cb31bc8e187.jpg
79d97e945ce17371350745140bdcff1f.jpg
09a9386b1ed9d54cc2afc1953076b9af.jpg
df1dc1c8dece59cc9bae73e2b965cdf4.jpg
[/QUOTE

This is hot!!!!

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

I'm torn between that as well. The Nike and SB SS are both in my possession. I've seen that shiny stainless with black bands and man they catch the eye. Was thinking about giving these up and going the route of the shiny stainless. Which actually seems harder to come by than stainless black...

Reactions: spinedoc77

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have both the stainless and black stainless. The black stainless is impressive and almost changes hues with different lighting. I like both stainless options for different reasons.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I have both the stainless and black stainless. The black stainless is impressive and almost changes hues with different lighting. I like both stainless options for different reasons.

2 Apple Watchs? How come?
Either way you stated you have different reasons for each color?
Please share?
I only need one, and so far I have the Nike Cool Gray on hand and the Stainless Black. I've seen the Stainless "Silver" and with the black band it looks solid!
I like the Stainless black with bright color bands....

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Well, here's a crazy one...

The other is a 38mm with black link bracelet and is the sharpest watch I've ever seen. I had been wearing a silver Sport since release day in 42mm so I was well familiar with that size.

I'm a guy, decent build, 5'11" 190mm wrists. I keep reading where people jump to the 42mm quickly but honestly, the 38mm just looks and seems more symmetrical and fits better. I agree the 42mm gives a little more screen size but honestly, it's pretty minimal but the larger model, especially in black, looks huge on the wrist.

I totally agree with the comments above. 38mm size is the best size in any wrist size as it does give a very decent and exceptionally elegant look. The 38mm just looks and seems more symmetrical and fits better.

Unfortunately, people jump to the 42mm quickly thinking that will be better size. Majority people with small wrists, unfortunately, do not look good at all with the size 42mm. Please be honest, the size 42 mm on the small wrist look so like sore thumb, sticking out and screaming: "look at me, I have and wear Apple Watch, the more expensive one, I am rich and have a lot of money" and to me, it is a pity look and make me feel sorry for these people trying to get complement and attention so hard, while not caring much how they look.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I totally agree with the comments above. 38mm size is the best size in any wrist size as it does give a very decent and exceptionally elegant look. The 38mm just looks and seems more symmetrical and fits better.

Unfortunately, people jump to the 42mm quickly thinking that will be better size. Majority people with small wrists, unfortunately, do not look good at all with the size 42mm. Please be honest, the size 42 mm on the small wrist look so like sore thumb, sticking out and screaming: "look at me, I have and wear Apple Watch, the more expensive one, I am rich and have a lot of money" and to me, it is a pity look and make me feel sorry for these people trying to get complement and attention so hard, while not caring much how they look.
Me too. I've been wearing several different 38mm watches since release and could never switch to a 42mm. I have 192mm wrists and it looks smart and discreet. Tried on a 42mm one day and just could not imagine ever wearing it.

Reactions: withoutyou

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015

While I agree 38mm is nicer, no, it doesn't look like they're going "look how rich I am". You've posted this a few times now, what is your issue with that? All it looks like is either too big, or they don't care about the size and like/want a big watch/screen. It's a $50 difference. That is not the line between "I can afford an Apple Watch" and "I am rich and have money to burn".

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

How about people that buy the larger as it's easier to read? If people prefer the 42mm let them have what they want, why do you care so much? If they wanted people seeing how rich they were they'd buy an edition, not just a larger size. Besides, if you buy the correct size for the wrist then they actually look about the same size proportionately.

Reactions: TxWatch

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
im a nurse so im constantly on my feet. its gonna be hard i will try be careful
Don't worry about the watch. It's incredibly durable (going on 18 months here), not a mark. I got AC+ when I bought mine (because I was worried about the lens/screen), but there isn't a scratch and not a single issue.

The DLC coating on the link bracelet isn't as durable as what is on the body of the watch. If you have one of those, best to use that for special occasions and get something very durable, such as one of the two-piece nato's (nylon) from clockwork synergy for daily use. (pretty much indestructible bands).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have medium sized wrists and think the 42mm looks much better than the 38mm, but both look good. I do see pictures of people with small wrists wearing the 42mm and they do look kind of stupid, but at the same time that's just my preference and I'd rather not label them as a lot of today's huge watches look kind of dumb IMO. That's the reason I opted not to get the S3, just too huge.

Honestly I think the issue with the AW is it's way too thick, and it still has that 80s calculator watch feel to it, I worry more about that than the size.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
2 Apple Watchs? How come?
Either way you stated you have different reasons for each color?
Please share?
I only need one, and so far I have the Nike Cool Gray on hand and the Stainless Black. I've seen the Stainless "Silver" and with the black band it looks solid!
I like the Stainless black with bright color bands....

I own the regular and black stainless. I prefer the contrast. And changing the bands really makes it look different and creates a whole new look.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas

This is your third or fourth time to spew this nonsense. Some people prefer the larger Watch because they have been wearing larger watches for years or decades. The Watch face size is matter of personal taste more than anything else. Buying a larger face has absolutely nothing to do with someone wanting others to think they are rich. In fact, we are talking about a $30 difference for the Aluminum model and $50 more for the SS. If that amount of money makes you "feel" rich, you probably cannot afford an Apple Watch of any size.

I am glad you like the 38mm, but please don't make incorrect assumptions about others based on your personal preferences.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
This is your third or fourth time to spew this nonsense. Some people prefer the larger Watch because they have been wearing larger watches for years or decades. The Watch face size is matter of personal taste more than anything else. Buying a larger face has absolutely nothing to do with someone wanting others to think they are rich. In fact, we are talking about a $30 difference for the Aluminum model and $50 more for the SS. If that amount of money makes you "feel" rich, you probably cannot afford an Apple Watch of any size.

I am glad you like the 38mm, but please don't make incorrect assumptions about others based on your personal preferences.

Right. I'm not a 38mm Watch guy. Some people have a smaller frame and some prefer a smaller more ellegant feel to a Watch. I prefer a bigger Watch. Not stupid big but a larger size Watch. Some smaller watches to me look more geared for women...

Reactions: Closingracer

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My wrists are large for a guy with an average build so I prefer the 42mm. Larger display and a better battery. I think that guys should have chunkier watches. The 38mm is great if you are female or have small wrists

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I prefer the 42mm. Larger display and a better battery. I think that guys should have chunkier watches. The 38mm is great if you are female or have small wrists

+1

Are you saying you did not buy the bigger Watch to show people how rich you are? That is so hard to believe! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Closingracer

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
£50 extra is hardly a sign of being richer

Man, I bought the 42mm and had a tattoo of a huge arrow done down my arm pointing at the watch just to make sure everyone notices how freaking rich I am! I also get the added bonus of people thinking "Wow, that tattoo must of also cost a lot, so he must be super rich! I want his children!"

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You sound bitterly jealous that you don't have an Apple Watch and I don't believe anything you have posted for the last Three posts. You keep spewing nonsense And no one here is agreeing with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.