Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This is Shuttle Atlantis sitting on the runway at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Kennedy Space Center, Florida, yesterday morning.

It was snapped by MacRumors reader Justin, using his iPhone 4 via the mirror in his SUV.

Atlantis lifted off for the final mission of the Shuttle program on July 8 with two iPhone 4's aboard. They will be used for scientific testing onboard the International Space Station.

Article Link: Space Shuttle Atlantis Through The Lens of an iPhone 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Haha what an awesome sight to see coming up behind you in your rear view mirror.

AnDy

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Outdated news... It's a nice view, but not something very 'news'worthy..:confused:

That is why it's in the iOS blog and not front page.

I hope this reader has access to the VAB and the Orbiter Processing facilities so he can use his iPhone to snap pics of Discovery and Endeavour. :p

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/thumb2.jpg]Image[/url]

This is Shuttle Atlantis sitting on the runway at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Kennedy Space Center, Florida, yesterday morning.

It was snapped by MacRumors reader Justin, using his iPhone 4 via the mirror in his SUV.

Atlantis lifted off for the final mission of the Shuttle program on July 8 with two iPhone 4's aboard. They will be used for scientific testing onboard the International Space Station.

Article Link: Space Shuttle Atlantis Through The Lens of an iPhone 4

Great! Maybe next time we can get a shot of the shuttle reflected off a beer can. :rolleyes:

wjanoch

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Montana
Great! Maybe next time we can get a shot of the shuttle reflected off a beer can. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, he'll never get another shot like this ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being on the runway implies he's an on duty government employee, so any photos he takes are public property. Then again, he could be a civilian special with special access.

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
Don't worry, he'll never get another shot like this ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being on the runway implies he's an on duty government employee, so any photos he takes are public property. Then again, he could be a civilian special with special access.

Well, are civilian only supposed to watch from the road?

My guess is that he is a news reporter or a VVIP of some sort :cool:

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Too bad I was off yesterday and couldn't take a similar picture. Kudos to Justin for taking it.

Sad to see the Shuttle Era come to an end, but looking forward to what the future brings to space exploration!

lrhthe3

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Obviously its very news worthy since it was taken with an iPhone! If it was taken with an Android phone then its not news!

Well you have to realize that android really doesn't "suck" that much. Yes ios is more stable, but some android phones like the infuse have AMAZING screens. Where a black picture is as black as the phone when its off. Even its talk to text is pretty accurate. So don't assume that androids are the worst thing on the planet and ios is the ONLY option. Be more open minded. But I still love my Mac and iPod touch.

physicsfanatic

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011

Outdated news... It's a nice view, but not something very 'news'worthy..:confused:

People like you make me laugh. How is the final space shuttle landing not news worthy? That my friend is an extreme engineering feat that people need to learn to appreciate. Plus the fact that it is taken by an iPhone 4 adds cool points.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Obviously the camera on the iPhone 4 was as crap as the one on the iPhone 3G.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Obviously the camera on the iPhone 4 was as crap as the one on the iPhone 3G.

Have you seen what's possible with the iPhone 4 camera? It's pretty mind-blowing for what it is. Especially with the photography apps available. Mind you, the stock camera app alone is impressive enough.

It's technically superior to the 3G camera in the first place, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

Perhaps the skill of the user is something to consider.

Just look at those overexposed regions. Where is that advertised HDR feature???

It can be toggled on and off. Did you not know this??

Further, if he was using a third party camera app, it might not have had an on-the-fly HDR feature but adjustments that could be applied afterward, i.e., with an app like Camera+.

Questions like this are quite surprising, frankly.

Last edited:

dhazard

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Information?

Some relevant information missing here, as someone else mentioned he is obviously a NASA employee or someone with special access. So what does he do that he had the access to get this picture? Awesome picture regardless!

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
When the Shuttle first launched in 1981, Cell phones where just starting to be used, in only a very few places and at "space ship prices", yeah, very, very expensive.

Filmless/tapeless Digital Cameras where not even imagined.

Today anyone can easily afford an iPhone that can take instant quality photos and be seen by the world in seconds.

That photo is not only an obvious cliche on the passing of the Shuttle era, but how far technology has advanced.

(America failed by not building a replacement manned orbiter, not retiring an outdated technological marvel. Shame of American politics for the last 11 years!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.