Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Today I broke my 6 month love story with Spark on iOS too... because I noticed the exact same problem on iOS: Stuck, non-refreshing folder contents on IMAP. Obviously both the iOS and Mac versions of Spark share the same engine.

I'm now using Apple Mail on both iOS and Mac. And it's pretty good. Just tap Edit Mailboxes in the iOS client, and enable the "All Drafts, All Sent, All Trash and All Inboxes" and you will get unified folders for all accounts. And be sure to set the accounts to choosing sent/drafts folders on-server instead of storing those emails in local on-phone folders. And lastly, be sure to set the discard-action to Trash instead of Archive, to get a true Delete icon in the message viewer.

Apple is smooth enough for me until Spark sorts out their IMAP problems. I look forward to being a full-time Spark user as soon as they fix the issues.

Why do my trashed mails not appear in "All Trash" folder on iOS Mail app, though?

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Why do my trashed mails not appear in "All Trash" folder on iOS Mail app, though?

Your macOS and iOS Apple Mail default to local folders (local means just on that device, nowhere else) for a lot of things like Sent, Trash and Drafts. Go into the account preferences on all devices and set their Sent, Drafts and Trash folders to the ones marked "On the Server".

In iOS this is done via Settings: Mail: Accounts: [The account]: Account: Advanced: Mailbox Behaviors. There is a list of Drafts Mailbox, Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox. Tap them and set all to On the Server.

Do the same on macOS (in account preferences).

Also note: This fixes all future mails. Your existing device-specific local folder mails will not be uploaded to the servers. You will have to drag and drop them to the server folders manually to move them there.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Your macOS and iOS Apple Mail default to local folders (local means just on that device, nowhere else) for a lot of things like Sent, Trash and Drafts. Go into the account preferences on all devices and set their Sent, Drafts and Trash folders to the ones marked "On the Server".

In iOS this is done via Settings: Mail: Accounts: [The account]: Account: Advanced: Mailbox Behaviors. There is a list of Drafts Mailbox, Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox. Tap them and set all to On the Server.

Do the same on macOS (in account preferences).

Also note: This fixes all future mails. Your existing device-specific local folder mails will not be uploaded to the servers. You will have to drag and drop them to the server folders manually to move them there.

Thanks, but these folders are already set to On the Server option on my iPhone (as well as Mac if I'm not mistaken). But when I trash a mail on ios it won't appear in my Trash mailbox in the Mail app. Any ideas?

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Thanks, but these folders are already set to On the Server option on my iPhone (as well as Mac if I'm not mistaken). But when I trash a mail on ios it won't appear in my Trash mailbox in the Mail app. Any ideas?

Hehe. The emails you see in the folders are exactly what is on the server. So my idea is this: The trash on iOS or on the Mac is not set to use the server.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Hehe. The emails you see in the folders are exactly what is on the server. So my idea is this: The trash on iOS or on the Mac is not set to use the server.

I see what the problem was: some of the previous mails I deleted were several days old, so once deleted they in fact did appear in the Trash mailbox - but among the mails from that older date, not on top of the Trash mailbox where I looked for them.

When I then deleted the Macrumors mail that just arrived minutes earlier, it obviously showed up on top of th Trash mailbox because it was from today.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah. And I think an even bigger concern is that I reported it to Readdle (Spark) months ago, and gave them a test email account, and their engineers used that test account and replied that they were able to reproduce the IMAP "missing emails" issue and wanted to keep the test account until they had made a fix.

That was months ago... So a few weeks ago I contacted them (sometime in June), asking if they are done with the account, and they said no and that they still need to keep their access to the test account I gave them.

Big wtf. How hard can this be to fix? It makes me think Spark may be over-engineered since it seems to be very hard to fix bugs in its architecture. Because this should really be something as simple as "Send IMAP Command: List All Emails", and then "Update local database to display all of those emails".

The only good news is that they're still tracking the bug internally and still have the test account... so at least it should get fixed someday. Maybe...

In the meantime, Apple Mail is great... And EasilyDo Mail is actually great as well and they're working on a Mac client. At this rate, I'll be looking at switching to EasilyDo when it's on Mac too.

When you mention IMAP "missing emails", if I compare Apple Mail "Inbox" vs. Spark "Inbox" on my Mac, Apple Mail shows 1,116 messages, while Spark only shows 687... which is a huge WTF. Is that what you were referring to?

Btw, above you mentioned Version 1.3.0.313. It seems my version is still 1.2.3 and it won't show an update in Mac App Store. How come?

Back to Spark for iOS though, my greatest annoyances remain:

1. when you are in a message and swipe to the right it often won't take you back to Inbox but to the next email. I want it to take me back to Inbox!!
2. let the user choose whether to show newer messages in the string conversation on top or at the bottom
3. show CC'd recipients instantly, rather than always having to tap on "Details"
4. add some text editing tools when composing an email like Airmail does
5. I want an option to save all pic attachments to Photos at once, not just one by one, but that could possibly be an iOS limitation?

Airmail annoyances:

1. no Smart inbox, emails won't get grouped by New Mail, Newsletters etc. as they do neatly in Spark
2. won't show the size of pic attachments you are sending
3. won't show attachment icons on mails that include inline pic attachments
4. I want an option to save all pic attachments to Photos at once, not just one by one, but that could possibly be an iOS limitation?
5. still missing a convenient floating "compose new mail" button in the right bottom corner of the screen; you have to reach far up for the small button

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
lol. Yeah, this fiasco has really made me appreciate Apple Mail.

I went back to Apple Mail a while ago. I have given up on third-party mail apps. And now in iOS 11 with Gmail push back in Apple Mail. On iOS the lack of changing default app really doesn't make it worth using third-party apps for Mail. The only thing Apple needs is a UI upgrade for the Mac version of Mail.

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Go to Settings - Accounts & Passwords - Fetch new Data and check Automatically.
The downfall is it only works on Wi-Fi and plugged in. Don't know why apple did it that way.

Hah, that's lame. I'm still on iOS 10 anyway...

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
I went back to Apple Mail a while ago. I have given up on third-party mail apps. And now in iOS 11 with Gmail push back in Apple Mail. On iOS the lack of changing default app really doesn't make it worth using third-party apps for Mail. The only thing Apple needs is a UI upgrade for the Mac version of Mail.

Wow that's cool and is a promising move in the right direction. Lack of Gmail push in iOS Apple Mail was a major reason I went looking for 3rd party solutions in the first place. Sad to hear it only works on WiFi while on charger, though. Odd choice. Maybe it'll change later.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
As per their Twitter post, Spark 1.9 for iOS is apparently coming on 22nd August.

Let's see if they finally bring any of my requested features/changes. o_O

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Nothing that is really useful to me, tho.

Btw, anyone else no longer seeing the "paperclip" icons on the mails that include attachments in Spark on iOS?!?!

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
I got a newsletter about Spark a day or two ago, telling me to come check them out again because they've expanded the features a lot and fixed some serious bugs.

So I installed the absolute latest version (1.4.0). And... well, this is what greeted me when Spark opened. Does THIS look like they've fixed the IMAP bug? Spark is missing 2 of the 4 emails in my inbox. Great... At this rate, I don't think I'll ever come back to them.

Apple Mail (shows what is TRULY in the inboxes):

applemail.png

Spark (often misses several emails on IMAP accounts due to its IMAP bugs):

spark.png

Today I have decided to uninstall Spark from the Mac and all phones. I had kept it around to be able to test it sometimes, but it has been half a year since I reported the IMAP bugs and they confirmed the bugs existence. I will no longer participate in waiting for their bad IMAP code to be fixed. If someone stays with them and finds that IMAP is someday fixed, I would probably return since I like their app design. But for now, I will avoid them like the plague because this bug is silly. How hard can it be to ask the server to sync IMAP folder contents and thereby detect all emails?!

Meanwhile, EasilyDo Email (the ones with the weird name) have an incredibly fast client which is rapidly growing in features and has been renamed to Edison Email (https://www.edison.tech), and they are working on a Mac version right now (https://mobile.twitter.com/Edison_apps/status/899706377160974337). Until then, I will keep using Apple Mail.
[doublepost=1504369870][/doublepost]Update: After uninstalling Spark for Mac completely (deleting all accounts to ensure they are unregistered from their push server, then deleting all files), I turned my eyes to the iOS client. I opened it for the first time in months... went to my important folder, which has 35 messages. Spark for iOS showed... zero messages. It showed messages in some other IMAP folders, proving to me that it's still properly logged in to my IMAP server.

This is exactly the hit-and-mostly-miss performance Spark has with IMAP. If anyone has IMAP accounts, I can guarantee that you are not seeing all of your messages, because Readdle confirmed the bug in Spark half a year ago. This is not a subjective issue. It happens to everyone. It may depend on what IMAP server you're using. My mail server is using Dovecot for IMAP, a very popular server.

Anyway, goodbye Spark. I have now deleted all accounts from the iOS app too, and then uninstalled the app. Bye bye.

Last edited:
Reactions: phloo

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
What's the easiest way to check if my Spark displays all my IMAP messages or not?

Last edited:

phloo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Install the account on Apple Mail and Spark, then see the numbers from your inbox e.g.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I see. Well, but in that regard Airmail, for example, is similar to Spark.

- Apple Mail (MacOS) shows 879 emails in my Inbox
- Airmail (iOS) shows 679 emails in my Inbox
- Spark (MacOS) shows 676 emails in my Inbox

So, it's not just Spark doing this... could it be some kind of server limitation that prevents them from showing all the emails?

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
I see. Well, but in that regard Airmail, for example, is similar to Spark.

- Apple Mail (MacOS) shows 879 emails in my Inbox
- Airmail (iOS) shows 679 emails in my Inbox
- Spark (MacOS) shows 676 emails in my Inbox

So, it's not just Spark doing this... could it be some kind of server limitation that prevents them from showing all the emails?

It is not an IMAP limitation, no. IMAP can handle unlimited emails. Edison Mail (formerly EasilyDo Mail) shows 100% of all my emails. Spark is missing random ones all over the place.

I do not trust your Apple Mail. I have not tested Airmail, but I doubt it has any issues, so 679 is probably the correct count. Apple Mail probably includes non-server Local folder mails or old caches or something. The best way to verify your email count is via your webmail interface. It shows what is really on the server. So find a webmail login for your email provider and look how many emails are really there.

Last edited:

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Ok.

So I have 2 Gmail accounts in my Apple Mail / Spark / Airmail.

If I select the 2 accounts separately I get the following email count per Inbox in Apple Mail:

TOTAL: 879

When I login to the gmail.com in my web browser I get the following numbers per each of the 2 accounts inboxes:

TOTAL: 767

So apparently the total number of combined mails in my 2 accouts' Inbox should be 767 as per gmail.com (server).

Apple Mail shows 879
Airmail shows 678
Spark shows 675

None of them is accurate then.

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
@jon08 Gmail accounts are not IMAP accounts. Therefore they are not affected by Spark's bug (at least as far as I know).

Gmail may themselves not expose all emails past a certain count via IMAP perhaps. Or perhaps you are counting Gmail's All Mail vs just the Inbox.

But your results actually suggest Spark has issues on Gmail too, not just on IMAP. Because it should atleast have as many emails as AirMail. What a piece of **** Spark is......

Perhaps try Edison Mail, just to compare its number to AirMail and Spark?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.