Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
The default iPhone mail client sucks so much it's not even funny.

My iPhone is linked with the company's exchange server (they allow iPhone BB Android), whatever gets you working for another few minutes for free. I can't do anything in regards to Out of Office Notifications. No way to flag e-mail. No way to search specific mail folders based on subject/from/to. I can probaby find more flaws. But business functionality as simple as e-mail is what BB guys laugh at in the iPhone guy's face.

3rd party App or better mail client. Or this is really just a toy no matter how you put it.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Too bad that I never got around to test the lite version. The limitation to a Gmail account is absolutely disappointing. I won't create an account just to make a test run. I am a bit reluctant with regard to e-mail clients, so a quick buy is out of the question for me.

What are you talking about? Sparrow supports Gmail and regular IMAP accounts.

getburl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
Just for delete, I would user Sparrow for iOS

The apple mail on iOS still does not do delete correctly when in a gmail account. Just in order to get delete correct, I would use Sparrow on iOS.

PsychOK

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
They need to work on exchange support first or for many there won't be a reason to move from Apple's stock mail app.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
And your point is? They still support it, which invalidates your original post.

Please enlighten us, how does that invalidate the original post?

The lite version is limited to a Gmail account, so unless you already have a Gmail account you would have to create a Gmail account to test the application.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm a heavy Gmail user for personal email, so I'd love an email client with improved Gmail support. Even if Sparrow only supported Gmail I'd probably buy it.

Ability to have things set as more than one label (Mail treats labels as IMAP folders), ability to see what is flagged (starred), ability to manage Gmail's spam folder, etc.

The Gmail mobile iOS web client is ok, but isn't as good as a dedicated client would be.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I'm a heavy Gmail user for personal email, so I'd love an email client with improved Gmail support. Even if Sparrow only supported Gmail I'd probably buy it.

Ability to have things set as more than one label (Mail treats labels as IMAP folders), ability to see what is flagged (starred), ability to manage Gmail's spam folder, etc.

The Gmail mobile iOS web client is ok, but isn't as good as a dedicated client would be.

It isn't really Mail's fault there as GMail is being kind of funky with their IMAP implementation. But yeah, if you're looking for multiple tags, standard IMAP won't really do it for you. Best you can do is nested folders.

I mostly rely on spotlight to find things with a basic folder hierarchy. I never really make use of tags (and when I do use something with tags I inevitably have groups of tags that might as well just be one tag).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It isn't really Mail's fault there as GMail is being kind of funky with their IMAP implementation. But yeah, if you're looking for multiple tags, standard IMAP won't really do it for you. Best you can do is nested folders.

I mostly rely on spotlight to find things with a basic folder hierarchy. I never really make use of tags (and when I do use something with tags I inevitably have groups of tags that might as well just be one tag).
Oh, believe me, I know Gmail doesn't conform to any other standard. This is why Sparrow is so nice on the Mac. It supports all the same labeling features as the web version (but without the suckiness of being in a browser).

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
There are already some apps that can read mail, the problem is that they can't be integrated with the operating system. All apps and links will always open Apple Mail even if another mail app is installed.

Absolutely right.. iOS, being a closed and poorly customizable OS, doesn't leave a lot of room for 3rd-party email clients.. and even browsers to lesser extent.

Sparrow for iOS won't be able to run in the background in the way that the native Mail.app does. So it won't be able to support proper Gmail push via Exchange ActiveSync. All 3rd party apps will still open Mail.app for email functions.. as iOS doesn't allow to set default e-mail (or browser) client to a 3rd-party app.

As much as I would love to have proper Gmail iOS integration that Sparrow offers on a Mac.. I am afraid, various iOS limitations will make using a 3rd-party client like Sparrow an unacceptable proposition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.