Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for speakers for my PowerBook. Currently I have JBL Creature Ones, the originals.

I am looking to spend less than $200 for something a little bit more powerful, a little louder, and a better subwoofer. I am an aspiring audiophile.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I just recently bought a set of Bose Companion3 speakers from the Apple Store in King of Prussia Mall and I love them. Well worth the extra $50. :)

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
The JBL Creature II's are pretty freaking amazing. You can get them refurbished straight from the Harmon-Kardon factory for about $50 on eBay. I wouldn't have even known that they were refurbished unless I purposely bought them because they were cheap. They look and play like brand new.

Daniel.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a set of harman kardon soundsticks 2. I am actually selling them. But that is besides the point.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Are you looking for a 2.1 setup or a surround setup?

In my opinion, the absolute best computer speakers are Logitech
and Klipsch. Klipsch has fallen behind with their GMX series,
but their older Promedia set stills packs a punch. Both have THX certified
speakers and both have setups with a very powerful subwoofer.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Yup, the Soundsticks II. They're terrific, better than my Logitech 5.1 system and a lot better looking too :)

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Hands down...no competition.

Ok, as a previous owner of both Soundsticks and Creatures, I can fairly say they're okay. The Soundsticks were much more clear than the Creatures and had more depth. The Creatures are a fine set of speakers for a very casual user. The Soundsticks are beautiful, well designed and expensive. A bit overpriced for what they are. Neither speaker set has an expansive tonal range for a set of speakers. They both distort at high volumes, with the Creatures having horrible highs and the Soundsticks with muddy mids.

If your budget allows for $200 I say go with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s. They are phenomenal speakers that cover all ranges, have deep bass, do not distort until the highest setting(which you will never reach), can be mounted on the wall, use standard speaker wire(more placement possibilities) and are even expandable to a 4.2 system! I believe you can find these for well under $200 these days.

If only they would come in white to match my iMac!

Good luck!

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
i can recommend the logitech z-5500 set. 500w, digital, THX, 5.1, etc. trouble is cost. a company in the bay area that is a 'logitech refurb partner' (ie - offload all the refurb/return hardware) has the $400 set for $189 including shipping. i order hundreds to thousands of dollars of equipment per month from this company and can recommend them with no problem. i have no connection other than being a system builder and happy customer. link;

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/9701150403.html

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Scottyk9 said:
The Klipsch 2.1s sound fantastic...

I'd have to echo what Scottyk9 and the previous poster says about the Klipsch 2.1s. I've been having my set about 2 yrs now and couldn't be happier. The highs sound really nice and they have a lot of base as well, plus its very easy to shake the walls with them if you're so inclined :D

InfiniteLoop1

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2005
sorry to steal the OP's question but i have the JBL Creature II's, and i love them, they look so cool too. i originally put the sub ontop of my desk becuase it looked so cool!
anyway i am having slight problems with the volume controls, they dont work sometimes, not a big problem, also i am missing one rubber foot on the sub, seems like a small thing but when the bass is on high the sub shakes and makes a horible noise cos its rattling on the floor. Anyway, i think these two reasons are enough to get my money back. I am wondering if i should exchange them for Logitech X-530's surround sound. Will they be better/equal to my JBL's and also whats the best way to connect to a laptop (intel iBook!) . And one more thing (!) is it possible to connect a surround sound system to an iPod?
thanks

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
There is no point in going for surround sound as the headphone jack on the powerbooks only support stereo sound (2:1). Try looking at the AL MX5021 as they have great reviews. Also try the Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D as they have excellent reviews as well

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Check out the M-audio BX5A's

Powered near field monitors.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Monitors/Headphones?sku=603707

232234.jpg

InfiniteLoop1

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2005
®îçhå®? said:
There is no point in going for surround sound as the headphone jack on the powerbooks only support stereo sound (2:1).

i thought you could get an external USB soundcard to connect to a surround sound system!?!?!?:confused:

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
InfiniteLoop1 said:
i thought you could get an external USB soundcard to connect to a surround sound system!?!?!?:confused:

That is right but at $90 for a relatively good one, it kind of blows the budget away

gibbon

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
Scotland
Has anybody tried cyruslink stuff? They are "tuned" by cyrus who are a great hifi company and would be worth checking out. I have JBL duets - obviously you would not be thinking of them but they are absolutely awful and have, along with other encounters, put me off "computer speakers" for life. Have you thought of getting a cheap hifi amp and some hifi monitor/small bookshelf speakers - would probably blow the socks off most of the plastic rubbish that is on offer in the apple store.

C

CompUser

Original poster
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone.

So here is what I am looking at:

- klipsch promedia 2.1 - $140
- klipsch promedia 2.1 GMX- $150
- Bose Companion 3- $250 (i love bose, we have a wave radio and 5.1 surround)
- Altec Lansing FX6021 - $170

What is the best option, many of you seem to be fond the Klipsch speakers. Is the Promedia GMX better than the regular promedia speakers? How much better are these speaker systems listed above than my current JBL creatures (version 1)?

Thanks again,

Erik

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I have a pair of Yamaha YSTMS50 speakers (I think that's what model they are) I could sell you for less than those if you didn't mind waiting two weeks for me to get back to Memphis. They are very loud, and I think they have nice sound. Definitely better (IMO) than the Apple Soundsticks (with iSub) I'm using now (but the Soundsticks are prettier, so my wife prefers them :rolleyes: ). And if you would prefer new speakers, I would recommend heading over to Yamaha's site and at least considering picking some of these things up, because they have definitely served me well.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
CompUser said:
What is the best option, many of you seem to be fond the Klipsch speakers. Is the Promedia GMX better than the regular promedia speakers? How much better are these speaker systems listed above than my current JBL creatures (version 1)?

Stay away from the GMX series, they are not good!! Promise me! ;) Stick to the Promedia ones. They are much much much...much better than your current JBL speakers. I own the Promedia 4.1s...brother owns the 5.1s and we both would recommend them any day. If anything, just compare the specs on paper, the klipsch easily wins and they definitely live up to them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.