Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I bought a Pro XDR around 12 months ago... and stupidly didn't check whether or not it had speakers because, well, I assumed a $10,000 display would.

Anyway, I adore it so kept it.

This is my setup:

• Pro Display XDR
  • 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro (95% in the drawer and hooked up to the display in clamshell mode)

I am (and please don't berate me 🥺🙈) NOT into photo editing, movie editing, sound production... I run a business from home and just like Apple and wanted the big screen and didn't want the hideous plastic displays you see Samsung and Dell make.

So my Q is:

1. Are there any SMALL, beautiful looking speakers that will function perfectly with the Pro XDR?
  2. I HATE branding
  3. Can the speakers be connected to the USB port on the back of the display or do I need to use a USB port on the MacBook itself?
  4. Budget wise up to ~$1,250 AUD
  5. USB C so they draw power and don't need a brick
  6. I loved the G4 Cube speakers and found a few on eBay but apparently they only work with the Cube

I have Bang & Olufsen throughout my apartment but they don't seem to make USB speakers, and neither do Harmon Kardon (only the Bluetooth sound stick but then I need that hideous big subwoofer which I do not want)

My other - and least preferred option - is to sell the screen and buy a Studio for the built in speakers.

I have been looking solidly for the last 6 months so perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist?

Reactions: Dmitriy Demidov

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Maybe some like an audio Monitor for clean should on cheap like Maxie CR-X Series?
Thank you. I’m looking for something attractive. This is where the problem has been. They’re these ugly blocks without speaker grilles or horrible colour or logos all over them.

These are so ugly in my opinion.

I’m used to Apple and Bang & Olufsen. I wouldn’t want these in my house.

Reactions: grandM

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Two Homepod mini's in stereo mode and call it a day.
They won’t do system sounds, though. Right?

So if get a text or email sound on Mac OS, all I can do with these is use them as output for audio via AirPlay?

I don’t think your solution works 😖😭

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
OP: Whatever you do don't sell the screen and buy an ASD. While the ASD is great and the speakers are okay, that's all. I have multiple ASD and still use external speakers (Kanto).

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
OP: Whatever you do don't sell the screen and buy an ASD. While the ASD is great and the speakers are okay, that's all. I have multiple ASD and still use external speakers (Kanto).
That would be my next move. I would want to trial it first as its significantly smaller. I was just hoping to find 2 cute little speakers for circa $1.25k and call it a day. The speakers in the ASD are actually really good in my opinion. I guess I could buy 2 of those screen instead of my one big one. Why didn't I think of that earlier.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone know how I could hook two of these up?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
That would be my next move. I would want to trial it first as its significantly smaller. I was just hoping to find 2 cute little speakers for circa $1.25k and call it a day. The speakers in the ASD are actually really good in my opinion. I guess I could buy 2 of those screen instead of my one big one. Why didn't I think of that earlier.
I'll trade you my two Studio Displays for your single XDR.

Edit: I've seen a lot of people post pictures of setups with these. Can't speak for audio quality, however.

Edit 2: Link isn't posting correctly for some reason. Will post separately. Appears that MR has a time limit on posting links? Anyway, in meantime, do an Amazon search for the following: Creative Pebble V3 Minimalistic 2.0 USB-C Desktop Speakers with USB Audio

Last edited:

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I'll trade you my two Studio Displays for your single XDR.

Edit: I've seen a lot of people post pictures of setups with these. Can't speak for audio quality, however.

Edit 2: Link isn't posting correctly for some reason. Will post separately. Appears that MR has a time limit on posting links? Anyway, in meantime, do an Amazon search for the following: Creative Pebble V3 Minimalistic 2.0 USB-C Desktop Speakers with USB Audio
Thank you. As I mentioned, I’m not into the creative ones. They’re cheap plastic with a logo emblazoned on the front. Not something I want next to a $18k setup. They’re the definition of naff. 🙈🙈

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Does anyone know how I could hook two of these up?

Doesn't look like these have any amplification -- just a speaker with banana & bare wire terminals. You'd need two plus an amplifier. If the HK Sound Sticks are a no-go, then these with the extra required hardware likely would be the same.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I really wish Apple or someone else offered a soundbar that clips onto the display. Kinda like what Dell does. I’d have to think Apple could make it sound good. And they could sell at $699 to boot.

Reactions: iamJoshRoth

voyager77

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
How about some Kef LSX II?
They do need power, but there's no brick, they take usb, line and a bunch of other inputs.
They come in different colors and nobody would find them a miss next to an 18K setup.

d___d

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2015
I would recommend a pair of Genelec 8010A monitors. Amazing sound despite the compact size. They would need an audio interface, e.g. by Motu or Focusrite.

Spot a different Genelec unit in Steve Jobs' home office, for what it's worth...

YZUa4nU.jpeg

bdsmith63

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2009
I am about to purchase the Pro Display XDR and will be doing some photo/video editing and sound production, however, all for personal use. I will most likely utilize a good set of bluetooth headphones with this system, however, would like to have some minimalistic speakers that would output audio and MacOS system sounds. Does anyone have any other suggestions since this thread started?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.