Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Let's hope the dualcore A5 will fix the choppy iOS animations when you start third party apps.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
You wont be waiting for the 6 if you upgrade now (regardless to iPhone 4 or 5), you'll be waiting for the 7.

Some of us might. I like being eligible for yearly upgrades for AT&T, and I might finally start taking advantage of it.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Apple trying hard to combat the power of the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy 2. White iphone now a slightly improved iphone. Nothing can stop the 350k phones sold every day.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Apple trying hard to combat the power of the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy 2. White iphone now a slightly improved iphone. Nothing can stop the 350k phones sold every day.

Wow, they're selling 350k Sensations and Galaxy 2s every day? :rolleyes:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Please tell me why all of your phones are on their "last legs"? Do you all have dropsy or something?

I am still using my original iPhone (pre 3G), and it works just as well as it ever did. Still has the same flaws too.

But regardless, unless I drop it in the parking lot or something, I have no reason to believe that it won't still be going a year from now.

If you are spending your money on bigger/better/faster/stronger/new features, I understand that fully.

I don't understand why large quantities of people are commenting on why their phone is about to die?

Either they abuse their phones or are a member of the new generation who think that if a phone is 2 years old, it's on it's "last leg".

I told a friend of mine today who is thinking about buying the iPhone 4 but is worried about all this "outdated technology" talk that if he does and still has the phone 3 or 4 years from now, he'll still have a great phone.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I think at this point it would be a terrible move not to do some sort of redesign to the 4. It at bare minimum needs a bigger screen and I am sure it will already have more ram and the A5 if not dual A5's. So really, what's the point of releasing another iphone if all your gonna do is change the processor and ram? The phone is not sluggish or anything now so why even waste the time? I think it would be a bad move to not move up with the screen size, at least to 4 inches.

Looking at iPhone history, and MBP history, I think it's very likely that the next iPhone is just an internal spec bump. They've changed the design language with iPhone 4. They're not going to change it again 12months later.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Either they abuse their phones or are a member of the new generation who think that if a phone is 2 years old, it's on it's "last leg".

I told a friend of mine today who is thinking about buying the iPhone 4 but is worried about all this "outdated technology" talk that if he does and still has the phone 3 or 4 years from now, he'll still have a great phone.

1. My 3GS is starting to have radio reception issues. I don't pick up the 3G network most of the time now, and I've had to switch back to EDGE only in order to avoid the "Searching..." and "No Service."

It's not inconceivable for phones to have parts that stop working after two years of consistent use.

2. The iPhone 4 will be outdated tech by this time next year. Apple drops support for older models as they go, either with key features of iOS upgrades or the entire software suite. It'll lack access to LTE, which will mean certain apps will run poorly or not at all, and it'll almost certainly be prevented from running some software that gets designed over the next year for the iPad 2 and new iPhone 4S processor.

But, whatever -- keep giving your friend baseless advice.

42abram

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
This statement is just wrong on so many levels.

Hardware speed is nice, but network access is the big thing for phones. Don't believe me? Switch off your 3G and spend a few days on the EDGE network and see how much fun your iPhone is.

Buying another 3G phone is just asking to be left behind by everyone else as LTE/4G is deployed and new apps become dependent on the high-speed connection that it offers -- it's akin to being the last person in the store to buy a regular DVD or VHS player.

Thanks, Apple, but no thanks. I'm not going to be tied a two year service agreement for an outdated phone made of a fragile material with reception issues. No LTE/4G = No sale as far as I'm concerned.

YOUR last paragraph: well said ... i love the 4, i love using it every day as i do.. but with that kind of use,, it's almost a given that you have to replace a normal phone within 13-16 if you are an individual with average to normal clumsiness.. i mean this hot little glass brick is in my pocket all day every day.. the only thing that wears more on my person is my face...

Bodygard

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
For me it's very simple: no redesign, no bigger screen, no better battery = NO BUY! (can have 100 mpx camera, gold plated etc don't care at all!)
Will keep my iphone 4 and wait for the iphone "6" then...

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
My guess us LTE is waiting not so much on more coverage but rather a chipset that doesn't suck the battery dry in a day (or less)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Selling 15 billion dollars worth of iPhone 5's in the fourth quarter seems pretty significant.

Again there is no good reason Apple needs to rush out a new iPhone model in the summer. The iPhone 4 is still the best smart phone out there, and will be until the 5 comes out.

That being said, if they do push it back, I don't know that the iPhone 6 comes out 6 months later. I find that unlikely.

Not me. Ka-ching.

Unless you are the IRS that makes no sense. If you are getting money back, it is because you gave the US government an interest free loan. Not exactly something to celebrate.

The question is how many people want to have a bigger phone? I don't know if it will be bigger or not but I don't think a bigger sized phone is a always a good idea. Not saying a small increase in screen size (not resolution) will not happen I just don't want my iPhone becoming an iPad mini!

I have already discounted the idea that the next iPhone will have a bigger screen. It is just not going to happen. It is illogical. People think 4" is better, but it really impacts the form factor and portableness of the device. Other phones have gone to a bigger screen because they realized they can't sell much just copying the iPhone, so they try to come up with some ways to be different, unfortunately they keep picking things that don't necessarily make the device better.

Last edited:

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
If just a spec bump, then why the delay?

So if the rumors are to be believed and the next iPhone will simply be an iPhone 4 with a new processor, more memory/storage (64GB), and 8MP camera then it begs the question...what is causing the delay?

I'm aware of the earthquake in Japan I just don't think it would cause a 3-4 month delay of the product.

Thoughts?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Good stuff. Im not eligible for a new phone this summer anyhow. I really hope the 2012 redesign features a bigger screen!!

Bigger screen would mean less pixel so no I rather they did more way to see information without having to swipe the phone so much, and take out that button once and for all or at least take out the whole click part of it.:)

silversin

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
Sounds plausible, except for the delay.

Guessing Apple will re announce the white iPhone 4 on WWDC and compensate the delay with adding the A5. And hey, the black one will get it too. Sounds cheap, but anything is better than my good ol' 3G right now.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I would trust this if it's the same guy that gussed the Ipad 2 specs ect..

It's already been confirmed elsewhere Apple will use 8MP camera and A5 processor.

I can see a delay aswell but I don't think we will see Iphone 6 early. How would that go? Would have to be lack of demand for the 5th gen which won't happen.

Say it comes out October and delays mean it's still 3 - 4 weeks delivery in December. Then they announce a new model in March where is the logic? They could probably announce it in the usual June point I guess. But what I read is the demand for Ipad 2 means there won't be a third for a year.

It would make no sense for Apple to release two new models in one year can't afford all these upgrades.

Also it makes sense about the rumour spec as the white Iphone coming late if they keep the same design for the 5th gen people won't mind. However surely they need a little more than 8MP camera and a new chip for Iphone 5? what else could a minor 3GS update provide? The White apple saga reminds me of the Sony Ericsson C905 seemingly W995 was supposed to come at the same time they delayed it everybody got rid of the awful C905 and got a W995. Maybe the white Iphone could further delay the Iphone 5 until next year?

kennethalan

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
boston
I sold my iPhone 3GS in October and got a blackberry, but now I want to go back to the iPhone.
I'm not sure if I should keep my blackberry until a major iPhone upgrade, buy an iPhone 4 now, wait until June to see if a new iPhone is coming out around then, or wait until September if that's when the iPhone is coming out and see what's new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.