Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Hi,

I own the Apple account, "mac." So I have the email mac@mac.com. I've been paying for the account and it expires in about a month. (This doesn't mean I lose the username though.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if someone knows if I can sell this username on eBay.

Thanks

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's MobileMe Terms of Service say a number of times that .Mac/MobileMe accounts are non-transferrable.

Examples:
No Right of Survivorship

You agree that your MobileMe account is non-transferable and that any rights to your Subscriber ID or Content within your account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate your account may be terminated and all Content within your account deleted. Contact support at http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww for further assistance.

No Resale of Service

You agree that you will not reproduce, copy, duplicate, sell, resell, rent or trade the Service (or any part thereof) for any purpose.

4. Apple Privacy Policy

You agree that your MobileMe account is non-transferable and that any rights to You understand that by using the Service, you consent and agree to the collection and use of certain information about you and your use of the Service in accordance with Apple's Privacy Policy.​
That last sentence could use a little editing!

That doesn't leave entirely clear if somebody could get the name from you, for their own account, rather than transfer your account to them without Apple's permission.

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I just want to sell the ursername, not the service. So perhaps I'm exempt from those ToSes.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
No Right of Survivorship

You agree that your MobileMe account is non-transferable and that any rights to your Subscriber ID or Content within your account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate your account may be terminated and all Content within your account deleted. Contact support at http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww for further assistance.

No Resale of Service

You agree that you will not reproduce, copy, duplicate, sell, resell, rent or trade the Service (or any part thereof) for any purpose.

4. Apple Privacy Policy

You agree that your MobileMe account is non-transferable and that any rights to You understand that by using the Service, you consent and agree to the collection and use of certain information about you and your use of the Service in accordance with Apple's Privacy Policy.​
That last sentence could use a little editing!

Username and Subscriber ID are the same thing. And, simply put, your account is "mac." There's no way to legally sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.