Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gom33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
so on our trip to disneyland today we stopped by galleria mall to check things out, walked around a bit and we found ourselves in an apple store. i was checking out to see if they had any sleeves for the air and lucky me, i found the satin black hard case from speck. really loving the case, i noticed online it showed it was a 4 week wait for the case, so didn't expect this at the store. picked it up for 49.99, i love the finish of this case and it does not add any bulk or weight to the air. here are pics, sorry for the blurriness of them, took with my iphone.

e59d0622.jpg

4a4091a8.jpg

fcedaf63.jpg

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I want that case so bad. I'm also planning on applying a black skin all around my MB to make it stealth.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
thanks i wanted to see what it looked like. The Incase I saw at bestbuy for the MBP are like 1 lbs. It says 14oz to be exact and thats too much weight for me to put on a laptop. But maybe this one will be lighter.

Gom33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
im happy with the case, don't really feel a difference in added weight or anything. also, the tabs seem like they will not scratch the air, i remember when i had the mbp the tabs on the spec case seemed to hard to get off. this case was effort less to put on and to take off

aldejesus

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
PR
thanks i wanted to see what it looked like. The Incase I saw at bestbuy for the MBP are like 1 lbs. It says 14oz to be exact and thats too much weight for me to put on a laptop. But maybe this one will be lighter.

Speck 13" SeeThru Satin Case
Dimension
Length: 13.0 in./33.02 cm
Width: 9.0 in./22.86 cm
Height: 1.3 in./3.17 cm
Weight: 13.6 oz

Its almost the same, and to be honest my air does feel different. But i prefer the extra 13oz, than get it scratch.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had one of these on my MBP. It added a decent amount of bulk... If they expand their colors, I might pick one up for my 11" (when I get it)

nowstime

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Have the clear version and I love it. Doesn't add bulk to the slim MBA profile and feels really solid. Hope it doesn't turn yellow much...

ryantlo888

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
I just got mine in black. It's really nice, adds a bit of weight, but I'm sure I won't notice it very soon.

Surprisingly, I ordered this on Sunday from the Apple online store and expected to have to wait 4 weeks, I got it yesterday!

Happy with my purchase

razamataz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Edmonton
I have both with me and cant decide which one to keep. I like the black better but I wonder how durable the finish is and if it will peel or wear off compared to the clear. anyone have any input?

Gom33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I have both with me and cant decide which one to keep. I like the black better but I wonder how durable the finish is and if it will peel or wear off compared to the clear. anyone have any input?

its personal preference, you like glossy look or flat look? black will give you the flat look because of the finish and clear will give you glossy look. I personally don't like anything shiny, lol. But like I said its all your personal preference.

to the other poster that asked why not invisible shield, i wanted more protection also. Especially when I have two kids that like to explore around the house, haha

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Have the clear version and I love it. Doesn't add bulk to the slim MBA profile and feels really solid. Hope it doesn't turn yellow much...

Well, it does add bulk. It would be impossible for it not to.

razamataz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Edmonton
Well, it does add bulk. It would be impossible for it not to.

The amount of "bulk" it really adds is very very minimal. I like it better than the skins out there because it protects the front edges of the computer from dings and dents. I am super ocd careful with my stuff but i find that even still when i take it everywhere with me its gonna get tiny chips or dings. this case help with that a lot.

Still deciding on clear or black. Anyone have experience with the black peeling or chipping over time? Love the black better but I wanna know how it will hold up over time.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Picked up the Black Speck for my 13 at the local Apple Store this weekend. Looks much better when you see and hold it in person.. barely adds any bulk. Very happy with the purchase.

I originally picked up the clear but took it back because I didn't like the texture of the plastic it uses.. just felt cheaper to me but its a matter of preference.

foulmouthedleon

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Annapolis, MD
I picked one of those up at my Apple store last night. Love it. Just snaps right on and looks good too. Just ordered a Moshi Palmrest as well. Two “must haves” IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.