Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I use a VNC to remotely use my Mac with my iPad Pro, I'd like to find out how to test the connection between the iPad and the Mac. Any ideas?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Wo installing some kind of LAN analyzer you can ball-park gauge your WIFI speed (most likely bottleneck) by timing how long it takes to transfer files between the two, one way stop-watching step6 of iTunes library sync, and also looking at Mac's Activity Monitor during remote connection. Because WIFI is (1)a shared medium, and (2)Influenced by environmental variables, you have minimum control as it automatically provides you the largest bandwidth available subject to those 2 conditions. Only thing under your control, if your WIFI router has any kind of QOS setting.

I tried FREE VNC Windows -> Mac and this is under ethernet and the speed is unusable, I dunno if the paid version is better. Am using OSX built-in Remote Desktop Connection, not sure if this exists under IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.