Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hey guys. I'm having some problems with the spellchecker in MS Word 2008. It's driving me crazy and I'd really appreciate some help.

When I open up a new word doc (doc 1) and start typing randomly with loads of spelling errors the little red line does not appear under the mis-spelled word. When I Manually select spell check it tells me that there are no mistakes even though there blatantly are. If I open up a new blank doc (doc 2) and begin typing away again the same mis-spelled words, the red lines appears as it normally should.

This is where it gets weird.......In doc 2 if I go into preferences>spelling and grammar, The boxes, "check spelling as you type" and "always suggest corrections" are ticked under both the spelling and grammr sections. If I then go into the same preferences for doc 1 the same boxes are ticked under the spelling and grammar sections however the grammar section is greyed out so I can't change the settings.

I am currently typing my thesis so having a wacky spell check is driving me insane. What I have been doing is opening a new doc then opening another new doc (doc 2) and typing in that however I have also noticed that the spell check doesn't always seem to work.

Apologies for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for replies.

kevzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
bump bump bump

Anybody.....

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Am I doomed to an eternity of spelling mostakes.

See...it's happening already:D

CN123

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Spell check in Word 2008 on Apple Computers

I finally figured out this method of making the spellcheck work:

1. Highlight the entire text in the document you want to check.
2. Click the 'Tools' Option on the menu bar.
3. In the drop down menu under 'Tools' click Langauge. Then select 'English UK' or 'English US' as appropriate. Click OK. this should result in the red line appearing under spelling mistakes in the document.
4. Then click the 'Tools' option again and click on 'Spelling and Grammar' in the dropdown menu. You should then see suggestions to correct each spelling mistake (Make sure the cursor is on the word you want to correct before clicking 'spelling and grammar').

The Autocorrect function seems to be completely useless.
:)
CN123

askirkland

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Fix did not work for me

That fix / workaround did not work for me. Has anyone else had this issue and/or figured out a fix?

djwaldow

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
You rock (it worked)

Love google! I searched, came upon this page, read and followed the steps in your post and BAM! It workd.

Thank you.

DJ Waldow

3. In the drop down menu under 'Tools' click Langauge. Then select 'English UK' or 'English US' as appropriate. Click OK. this should result in the red line appearing under spelling mistakes in the document.
4. Then click the 'Tools' option again and click on 'Spelling and Grammar' in the dropdown menu. You should then see suggestions to correct each spelling mistake (Make sure the cursor is on the word you want to correct before clicking 'spelling and grammar').

CN123

sennejm

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
If the above-described solution does not seem to work, try saving the document, quitting word, and then re-opening the document. This worked for me.

fordieuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Spell checker problem resolved

Hi, I had the same problem and I managed to sort it clicking on 'tools' then 'spelling and grammar' then when the spell check box comes up click on options button at the bottom, then make sure the first box under the spelling heading is ticked and it is 'check spelling as you type' this should solve your problem.

regards

jeaimehp

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010

CN123

Thank you so very much!! Worked perfectly!

ribeto

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010

CN123

This totally fixed my problem. Thanks a lot

ZestySea

macrumors newbie
You guys are great! thanks

:p I had the same problem - tried variations on the theme as my original doc was open office. saved, closed and opened (no change)

saved as docx, closed and reopened new file (no change)
went into tools languages - there was a horizontal line in the check-box "do not check spelling" - clicked it, went to a tick, clicked again, changed to a clear box - set the language as described above and the spell check and grammar is working great now - thanks!!

sebastianduan

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
check box

It didn't work for me when first tried. The check box automatically didn't tick though, just had a - sign. When I updated to a tick, it worked. Does that help?

That fix / workaround did not work for me. Has anyone else had this issue and/or figured out a fix?

Honor3

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Australiaaaah
Tools > Pick The other English then you have > Press okay > write Gibberish > You should get red lines > Tools > English you want > Now when you write Gibberish and anything else should be in red and spelling suggestions should be available..

KatherineB

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Problem with MS Word 2008

Hi everyone,

I am having a similar issue to the issues mentioned above, only when i go into preferences, the spelling and grammer section is faded and can not be clicked on or activated at all.... what can I do? :(

The Language>Tools> solution above does nothing, mistakes are definitely occurring however I appear (?) to be missing the spelling function all together..... very frustrating!!!

Can anyone help?

OurManAtTheUN

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Found the problem

It seems that regardless of language, because I am forever having to change my Office from English US to UK. This is what you also have to do.

Select all the text.

Tools>Spelling and Grammar> at the bottom of panel, Options...

tick the 1st box 'check spelling as you type'

Hope this helps, it helped me.

;0j

canoncola

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Fix!!! Fix!!! Fix!!!

I can't check spelling or grammar.:eek::mad:

Cause: Proofing tools are not installed.:confused::(

Solution: Install the proofing tools from the Office 2008 installation disk.:eek::cool:

Print this information or write down the following steps, and then close the Microsoft Word Help window.

On the Word menu, click Quit Word.

Insert the Office 2008 installation disk into your computer's DVD drive.

Open the Office 2008 installation disk, and then open the Office Installer.

Follow the steps in the Office Installer, and on the Installation Type screen, click Customize.

In the Package Name list, click the arrow next to Microsoft Office 2008, and then click the arrow next to Proofing Tools.

Select the check boxes next to the proofing tools that you want to install, and then click Install.

Note If you do not see the language that you want, it is not available in Office 2008 for Mac.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:apple::p

LenaH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Spellcheck problems in Microsoft Word 2008

i went to edit>spelling>check spelling as you type. i turned 'check spelling as you type' off then turned it back on and it worked! hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.