Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pigjohns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
So about a week ago I spilled some water on my ibook G3. It was not a whole lot of water, although I could tell some did get in through the edges around the trackpad. Because I am an idiot, I did not immediately power off the machine (as I now know I should have) and it proceded to freeze in a couple of minutes. After a day or so, it came back to life, but with a horribly distored display. Every function of the ibook seems to work perfectly, except for the display, which is barely readable, certainly not in any long term sense. The guy at the apple store told me right off the bat it was a logic board issue and would be like 700 dollars (i've already had the board replaced under the extension program). A guy at tech store tentatively agreed with that diagnosis, although neither of them cracked open the thing. I've run the hardware test program, which says that the logic board "passed" although gave an "error detected" for the Video Ram. Hooking the computer up to an external display yields the same video problem.

I know nothing! Is there anyway this computer is saveable without dropping a ton of cash? It seems so close to working except for this one very critical thing of barely being able to read anything on the screen? If anyone can offer any help/advice, I would be eternally grateful!

I'm sorry but you are out of luck, if you VRAM fails that means you are not going to get a decent display no matter what you do. Water does bad things to logic boards and yours is no exception. You might as well salvage what you can from it and buy a new Mac.

Unless you have a state of the art soldering bench and you can re solder your VRAM.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Can you still see any water? (I know this means you'd have to open the case) If so, dry it up, leave it to fold overnight (not off or sleeping) the heat might dry it out. If the VRAM chips haven't been damaged, function might be restored as thealternate paths provided by the water evaporate.
MIGHT, no promises. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.