Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
ok, I will definitely reformat when I get home.

----------

I turned off file vault and that seems to have helped. I let the app run for about 30 seconds and they hit those normal speed 400/800

Just for clarity, though, the numbers I posted above are WITH FV2 turned on. You should be able to get similar results.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm thinking maybe FV2 was still trying to set up. It was causing all kinds of issues.

It's possible. I didn't pay a lot of attention to how long it took, though i did open Sys Prefs so I could watch the progress bar. I vaguely remember maybe an hour or 90 minutes - could be wrong, wasn't paying much attention other than to see that it had stopped. It won't run on battery power, by the way, so if it starts and you unplug the machine it defers encryption until it's back on mains power.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's possible. I didn't pay a lot of attention to how long it took, though i did open Sys Prefs so I could watch the progress bar. I vaguely remember maybe an hour or 90 minutes - could be wrong, wasn't paying much attention other than to see that it had stopped. It won't run on battery power, by the way, so if it starts and you unplug the machine it defers encryption until it's back on mains power.

That was probably the issue. I was on battery.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I had the beachball issue at initial setup. It was during the Filevault setup (which I had never seen before during a Mac setup, so that was weird in and of itself).

That said, it was definitely a pain to handle. I restarted the machine but then it forced me to create a new profile and it was telling me I couldn't use my name for the machine because it was already taken. This time around it didn't bother asking me about Filevault and finally started up the OS. From there, I had to log out of the new profile and login to the original name I created. Then I deleted the second profile I had setup.

From there, because my iCloud has a million things going on, Apple doesn't do a good job letting you know that there are a lot of background processes going on. So I would beachball here and there as photos and mail and other things were getting setup.

Finally after a couple hours, things settled down and now the machine works perfectly. But I do think Apple needs to better figure out the initial setup process.

G2244

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I had beachball on set up as well after unselecting file vault. Luckily I had already read this thread. I just waited and after 25 minutes or so all was fine and set up continued as normal.

Man this screen is beautiful!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It appears that while you are presented with a screen for FileVault, you don't actually have a choice.

The minute that screen appears its being installed. I set one of these up for a friend and I tried to uncheck the Filevault box and the beach ball appeared.

The ball was there for about 20 minutes. After 30 I would say something else is going on.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I had the beach ball on this screen after selecting both options as yes. After 30 min it moved on. After double checking the FileVault settings, I came to realize it still didn't enable encryption. I had to manually enable them again. The computer stopped responding for about 30 seconds and then restarted. When it restarted the encryption began and has since finished in the background. The computer was plugged in the whole time.

hcole623

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
I had the beach ball on this screen after selecting both options as yes. After 30 min it moved on. After double checking the FileVault settings, I came to realize it still didn't enable encryption. I had to manually enable them again. The computer stopped responding for about 30 seconds and then restarted. When it restarted the encryption began and has since finished in the background. The computer was plugged in the whole time.

Beach balling right now, 12 minutes in, both FV options checked

kasni84

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2015
FireVault encrypts your data in case someone steals your laptop. I don't think I'll disable it when I get mine.

If it stolen, how to easily take out the internal storage as it is embedded on the motherboard. You can lock it with firmware password so no other OS can boot via usb. Therefor , FV is unnecessary. I'm not a spy with TOP SECRET files. haha

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Be sure to check the file vault settings after it boots. Even if you select both options during the initial set up, file vault still might not actually be enabled as was in my case.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
You can lock it with firmware password so no other OS can boot via usb.
True, but very, very easy to crack. With some macs it's even so easy that you can start up with CMD-R and turn the firmware password off without even typing your password.

It's like the key under the doormat, Filevault is the only proper way to protect you and your files. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How long does it last? I am on the Fire Vault page and did not select to set it up.

I was told not to set this up if I didn't absolutely have to.

FireVault encrypts your data in case someone steals your laptop. I don't think I'll disable it when I get mine.

I agree with squirrl. Worst case, set up your MacBook when you get home from work or over a weekend, and let FileVault run its course overnight. Once it's set up, it's hardly noticeable. The reason it is noticeable on the MacBook is that it is CPU intensive to encrypt a drive for the first time, particularly if it has lots of data, and the CPU needs to power down frequently in order to avoid overheating.

I'd rather have one day of inconvenience knowing that if I lose this, someone can't get at my data. Given how small this is, it might be easier than you realize. I also plan to get a personal articles policy on this (it came in handy once before when I left an 11.6" MacBook Air on an airplane).

feard

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
I agree with squirrl. Worst case, set up your MacBook when you get home from work or over a weekend, and let FileVault run its course overnight. Once it's set up, it's hardly noticeable. The reason it is noticeable on the MacBook is that it is CPU intensive to encrypt a drive for the first time, particularly if it has lots of data, and the CPU needs to power down frequently in order to avoid overheating.

I'd rather have one day of inconvenience knowing that if I lose this, someone can't get at my data. Given how small this is, it might be easier than you realize. I also plan to get a personal articles policy on this (it came in handy once before when I left an 11.6" MacBook Air on an airplane).

I have been using now for almost two days. I got spinning beachball on set up and again today I had to shut it down because of beachball. I only use web, email and not much else. I am very disappointed that I am having issue after spending what I did. Not sure i this laptop is ready for prime time.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have been using now for almost two days. I got spinning beachball on set up and again today I had to shut it down because of beachball. I only use web, email and not much else. I am very disappointed that I am having issue after spending what I did. Not sure i this laptop is ready for prime time.

Backup your apps and data, boot to internet recovery (cmd + option + r), go to disk utilities and erase the disk, then install OS X from Apple's servers. PITA? Yes. Shouldn't be necessary? Agree. Big deal? No, not really. Your post sounds like you have a problematic OS installation. It happens - wipe it absolutely clean and give it another shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.