Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London
Is there a way to have TV Shows and Movies located on an Airport Extreme external hard drive and music on my internal drive but it still all be in one iTunes library?

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Is there a way to have TV Shows and Movies located on an Airport Extreme external hard drive and music on my internal drive but it still all be in one iTunes library?

You could try going to preferences>advanced and uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" when you add your TV Shows and Movies. Change it back once your done and these files should effectively be referenced from the external hard drive. I've never done this so I can't be sure, but it goes along with logic from Aperture's libraries. Try it with one or two files and see how it goes.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Just wondering if you tried it and if it was successful. I am wanting to do the same thing, Thanks.

Would be nice if itunes had a feature like
Music -> This Specified Folder
Videos -> That Specified Folder

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

To split your iTunes media over two or more drives, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and leave both of these boxes unchecked, so you can manage your files without iTunes interfering or making duplicate copies of files.
ScreenCap 2.PNG
You can add files to your iTunes library from any internal or external drive. All files don't have to be in your iTunes Media folder. Be sure you have your external drive(s) mounted before launching iTunes and it will find everything you've added. If you travel without the external drives and launch iTunes, there will be exclamation marks on the files that reside on the external drives, since they're not mounted, but you can still see all the contents of your library, even if you can't play them all.
ScreenCap 3.PNG
When you reconnect the external drive(s) and then launch iTunes, it finds them again.
Would be nice if itunes had a feature like
Music -> This Specified Folder
Videos -> That Specified Folder
You can easily do this. Using what I posted, store one folder on your internal drive and the others on any external drive(s). Then add all to your iTunes library.

Be aware that when deleting songs from your library, if the file resides in your iTunes Media folder, you will be prompted and given an opportunity to move the file to the trash. If you delete a song that isn't in the iTunes Media folder, it will simply delete the song from your iTunes library, but will not delete the file. You will have to manually delete such files. The best way to do this is to right-click the song in iTunes before deleting it and select "Show in Finder". Then delete the files in Finder. Now go back to iTunes and delete the songs from your iTunes library.

Finally, while you can have your iTunes media located anywhere, it's better to leave your iTunes library files on your internal hard drive. These are usually located in ~/Music/iTunes Libraries and contain your iTunes Library.xml file, as well as folders for artwork, playlists, etc.

Last edited:

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Yes, I have my library split, because it won't all fit on my internal drive. I have both of these boxes unchecked, so I can manage my files without iTunes interfering.
When I add something to the library from any location, iTunes tracks where the files are. If I move them, iTunes updates the location. Be sure you have your external drive(s) mounted before launching iTunes and it will find everything you've added. When I travel without the external drives and launch iTunes, I'll get the exclamation marks on the files that reside on the external drives, but I can still see that they're in my library.
When I reconnect the external and launch iTunes, it finds them again.

You can easily do this. Using what I posted, store one folder on your internal drive and the other on the external. Then add both to your iTunes library.

I recently ran across TuneSpan, which may provide a viable alternative to the method described above. I haven't tested it, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

How do you reach that "Advanced" settings?

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I am trying to split my iTunes folder as well for my new RMBP. I have about 30 gb of mobile applications that I am trying to store on an external hard drive. I want to keep my music and a few movies internal. I read that you can create an alias of the mobile applications folder, but the article was a few years old. Will this method still work and what happens if I use iTunes when my external drive is not attached? Here is a link to the method I read about:

http://tntluoma.com/apple/store-iphone-apps-on-an-external-drive/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am trying to split my iTunes folder as well for my new RMBP. I have about 30 gb of mobile applications that I am trying to store on an external hard drive. I want to keep my music and a few movies internal. I read that you can create an alias of the mobile applications folder, but the article was a few years old. Will this method still work and what happens if I use iTunes when my external drive is not attached?
Read post #4 in this thread.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I read your post. I posted the questions I had that it did not answer.
It does answer it:
what happens if i use itunes when my external drive is not attached?

if you travel without the external drives and launch itunes, there will be exclamation marks on the files that reside on the external drives, since they're not mounted, but you can still see all the contents of your library, even if you can't play them all.
when you reconnect the external drive(s) and then launch itunes, it finds them again.

jj97101

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
Can I do this using multiple drives? The thing I am trying to do is to use 4 different programs that are similar to Dropbox, they each have ~5gb of space and I want to split my music between them, I have ~20GB of music. Would this method work? Also if I drag the music from Dropbox into iTunes, wouldn't it be put on to my computer? Or would disabling the settings stop this?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Would this method work? Also if I drag the music from Dropbox into iTunes, wouldn't it be put on to my computer? Or would disabling the settings stop this?
If you have a local copy of the files on your machine in the Dropbox folder, yes, it should work. If you mean just having the music on their servers and not also on your own machine, it wouldn't be possible for iTunes to catalog the files. iTunes can only catalog files that physically exist on one of your mounted drives.

jj97101

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
If you have a local copy of the files on your machine in the Dropbox folder, yes, it should work. If you mean just having the music on their servers and not also on your own machine, it wouldn't be possible for iTunes to catalog the files. iTunes can only catalog files that physically exist on one of your mounted drives.

Is it possible to have multiple iTunes libraries though? I will have the Dropbox folder on my laptop but I was planning on using 4 different cloud programs: CX, Dropbox, Google Drive and Sugarsync. Will I be able to split up the library and have four different libraries in iTunes? Or do I not understand how all these work and when you keep it in a local file everything is still on your hard disk? (sadly this sounds like it makes sense)

Last edited:

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Is it possible to have multiple iTunes libraries though? I will have the Dropbox folder on my laptop but I was planning on using 4 different cloud programs: CX, Dropbox, Google Drive and Sugarsync. Will I be able to split up the library and have four different libraries in iTunes?
Yes, you can have music from separate locations in your iTunes library. You just need to make sure the two boxes in the advanced settings menu (see the post above by GGJ) are unchecked. The reason this works is because iTunes just stores the path of the file and not an actual copy of the file. Drag and drop the files into iTunes like you would if they were all in one location.

Or do I not understand how all these work and when you keep it in a local file everything is still on your hard disk? (sadly this sounds like it makes sense)
Yeah, by local copy, I mean a physical copy on your hard disk.

Also, to clarify, you only have one iTunes library (it is possible to have multiple, but I won't go into that). Every song listed in iTunes is part of that single iTunes library, even if the files are split up into multiple physical locations like the set up you're describing.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
sorry to bring up old post, but need help along these lines

i want to store my TV shows on an external hard drive, but want them in the itunes media folder so it can be kept organized. also dont want to move the entire itunes media folder over to the external. so is there a way to place the TV shows folder onto the external, thinking about something with aliases or something, but dont know how to move that folder so itunes still thinks its part of the media folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.