Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fdotgibbs

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
I agree with you. So apple got bugs to remove.
I second that, other users have confirmed being able to use split view with iTunes, the App Store & Spotify while I haven't been able to use any of them. However, other programs like Safari and Photos work. Somethings up.

pratkinson

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Bingo, that was the problem. Thanks for sharing it.

Excellent tip. This resolved the issue for my MacBook Pro Mid 2009. I haven't test all of the applications. (Cant get Pages and Keynote to work for example, which would be nice)

matthewhuk

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
UK
Not working on my 2009 MacBook Pro either :-(
Hold the green button down and nothing happens. Are apple going to start doing that annoying thing they do with iOS where certain things don't work on older devices. - Windows side by side can hardly be processer intensive!

cait40967

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Just installed El Capitan on my 2015 Retina MacBook, but I can't seem to get Split View to work at all. I held the full screen zoom (green button) down with my trackpad in Safari, but the Split View mode from the WWDC Keynote never showed up.

Anyone else having this issue, or am I just missing something?

cait40967

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Mine worked for a moment and now the button are grayed out. They're not red or green. I've restarted my computer and no change. Frustrated.

seaniepie

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
This fixed it for me::

I found this from another forum, and it solved the problem for me. At first I thought it was hardware support issue (rMB 12"), but it wasn't.

If you can't get Split Screen to work (side by side full screen windows) in El Capitan, you'll need to enable "Displays have separate spaces", located in System Preferences > Mission Control. This will require you to log out and back in. Then, simply click and hold on the green "Full Screen" button and drag the window to another part of the screen. Voila!

http://forums.imore.com/os-x-el-cap...pitan-split-screen-if-you-can-t-get-work.html

Thanks petterihiisila

fritspolak

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
This fixed it for me too! Apple should have mentioned this setting of Mission Control, I think

ramatsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Just to be clear, is there anyone here that sees this feature working on '12 15" rMBP?

No luck here - Mid-2012 Retina MBP, OS X El Capitan 10.11

Weird issue to have on a largely performance/stability release.

ramatsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Immediately working for me after doing this.

I found this from another forum, and it solved the problem for me. At first I thought it was hardware support issue (rMB 12"), but it wasn't.

If you can't get Split Screen to work (side by side full screen windows) in El Capitan, you'll need to enable "Displays have separate spaces", located in System Preferences > Mission Control. This will require you to log out and back in. Then, simply click and hold on the green "Full Screen" button and drag the window to another part of the screen. Voila!

http://forums.imore.com/os-x-el-cap...pitan-split-screen-if-you-can-t-get-work.html

leec_hi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015

Bang! This solves my issue with rMBP15!!!

RibhavKhanduja

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Just installed El Capitan on my 2015 Retina MacBook, but I can't seem to get Split View to work at all. I held the full screen zoom (green button) down with my trackpad in Safari, but the Split View mode from the WWDC Keynote never showed up.

Hey folks,

Just a heads up. If you can't get Split Screen to work (side by side full screen windows) in El Capitan, you'll need to enable "Displays have separate spaces", located in System Preferences > Mission Control. This will require you to log out and back in. Then, simply click and hold on the green "Full Screen" button and drag the window to another part of the screen. Voila!

pasadian

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Pasadena

If holding down the full-screen button doesn't enter Split View, go to Apple menu > System Preferences, click Mission Control, and make sure that “Displays have separate Spaces” is selected.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948

:)

JHutti

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Athens Greece
It's working fine for me on a mid-2011 11" MBA. I swiped up for Mission Control, dragged the Safari (or Airmail or Mail or any app) *between* desktops and it will become full screen. Then take a second app and drag it up to that full screen desktop in Mission Control and it should become a split screen. It doesn't work w/ all apps though. I tried to drop Tweetbot into a split screen w/ Safari and it wouldn't allow it. But messages, notes, worked fine.

View attachment 559713 View attachment 559716 View attachment 559718

Hhhmm nothing on my early 2009 17" MBP: pity pity. Is a feature that I would really like to use.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Hhhmm nothing on my early 2009 17" MBP: pity pity. Is a feature that I would really like to use.

Go to System Preferences >> Mission Control. Make sure that Displays have separate Spaces is checked.

DS

Daroom

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015
Hello !!
Go to System Preferences > Mission Control , and enable "Displays have separate spaces"
You need to log out before it get activated :)
Enjoy

screen-shot-2015-10-18-at-8-56-18-pm-png.593622

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 8.56.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 8.56.18 PM.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 753

mulrich

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2016
The common solution here didn't work for me. I noticed that some apps could be used in split view together while others couldn't. Then I realized that some apps have a minimum window width and if you tried to combine two apps who's minimum width took up more than half the screen the apps couldn't be placed side by side (not enough space). I have a rMBP so I turned the resolution all the way up and I could get the previously incompatible apps to enter split view mode together. Not a great long term solution for what I need but I think this is an individual app problem more so than a macOS problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.