Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
closeup

another closeup

Attachments

• M1370032.JPG
    M1370032.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 247

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
the last 4 photos
note the protrusion on the back as if something pushed it outward from inside.
Won't make it to apple store today - will go tomorrow.

It's pretty obvious that you sat on your phone and feel that by claiming you didn't on this forum will make it more believable. Are you a wizard?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Everyone has to start on the forums at some point, and I'm willing to guess that most people do join because they have a problem and want advice from fellow members.

I first joined because I had a problem with my MacBook Pro and wanted advice, I was a long time lurker but joined because of that. People using their join date as whether to believe them or not is ridiculous.

Guess we will have to wait this out, but it really looks like these phones have been bent.

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
And it happened in my hand - the sensation was of the screen springing our of its binding.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
This is weird because in the other thread, the dude claimed to run over his iPhone with a 50,000 pound fire truck and it came out flawless without even a scratch. And in this thread, the phone bends in half from simply holding it? Something doesn't add up.

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
But if I have AppleCare what would I gain by taking the time to post with photos? Do you think some genius is going to take the time to read this thread much less be influenced by it? I guess it's the spontaneous part that is so difficult to accept. But really. If I sat on it or had tight jeans would I make up something as crazy as this? And how about those other links posted by others in this thread that show the identical marks at the exact same spot on the - button? And in the last photo I posted you can see the irregular striations that suggest stretching (or buckling) not cracking and certainly not impact. Clearly we have found the weakest spot- what force is required to bend? Probably different forces depending on quality control issues. And those people that bent them in their pockets what if it was a minimal force?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I was incredulous at the first report of a bent phone (not OP) but after 3-4 different unrelated persons claiming the same thing, with the same kind of damage at the same places (that buckle right by the volume button), I really think there may be something else happening here.

It looks like something warped inside (where that protrusion is) or something was being held under tension (i.e. something was fastened down, and the fastening mechanism failed causing the pressure outwardly against the case).

Bring it in and have them open it up to investigate that protrusion. Don't give in to having to pay $49 so quickly. If you are telling the truth, this is absolutely Apple's responsibility to replace your phone and investigate this issue.

If anyone knows, what is just underneath the protrusion OP shows (right by the volume button on the back side).

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
name all the materials it can be made out of that doesn't interfere with reception, doesn't shatter, doesn't bend, doesn't scratch, doesn't scuff.

I'd rather have a phone made of a material that absorbs energy instead of bending/cracking/shattering like the mostly glass 4/4S and now aluminum 5. People rag on plastic like it's a third world material, but a quality plastic makes the most sense. Carbon Fiber would be a great choice too, though costlier.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Occam's razor says...

You sat on, stepped on, or otherwise accidentally or deliberately bent your phone. Then you came on here, made up a BS story to justify your mishap, and a tech blog run by ignorant Brits took it and ran with it. You must be very gratified.

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
sometimes i imagine these people posting things on macrumors and then going to the apple store the next day and saying something to the effect of: "i even went on macrumors las tnight to get people's opinion on why this bent all by itself." he posted about it on macrumors the night before so he must be honest.

we all know you bent it by doing something like leaving it on the roof of your car and driving off.

Gibbons

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Can't say I understand how, if the OP sat on the phone like you all are saying, the screen panel isn't bent, broken, cracked or shattered. It's just the outer band of aluminum and the back aluminum that's damaged.

I mean, the screen/front glass looks perfect. It's hard to understand how a drop or a bend-in-pocket situation could produce a phone that looks like that.

Anyway, just trying to make some sense of it. Good luck, OP - just know if you're successful at getting a replacement everyone here will call you a criminal.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Can't say I understand how, if the OP sat on the phone like you all are saying, the screen panel isn't bent, broken, cracked or shattered. It's just the outer band of aluminum and the back aluminum that's damaged.

I mean, the screen/front glass looks perfect. It's hard to understand how a drop or a bend-in-pocket situation could produce a phone that looks like that.

Anyway, just trying to make some sense of it. Good luck, OP - just know if you're successful at getting a replacement everyone here will call you a criminal.

Agreed with that - I wouldn't automatically call BS on this even though it sounds a bit crazy. The OP provided many detailed pictures and and they seem to corroborate the fact that the front panel wasn't bent (OK it is Gorilla Glass, but still a strong enough force to bend the phone that much making no damage whatsoever to the glass or the LCD ... sounds strange to me).

zukernik

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Hong Kong
Same thing happened to my Macbook Pro guys, I was making some stuff on iMovie when suddenly BAM, thing just bent out of nowhere.
P8qbo.jpg

Apple's quality has been going downhill guys, stuff like this would not be happening if Steve was still here because he wouldn't have allowed products that spontaneously split or bend :mad:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
stuff like this would not be happening if Steve was still here because he wouldn't have allowed products that spontaneously split or bend :mad:

Don't underestimate him; Steve would have done better than that. He would have allowed it and then relied on his fanboys to alter reality and make sure it never happened. He would be proud though, even without him reality is still bending a bit! (maybe more than the iPhone ... I honestly don't know)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.