Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
I just got a new G5 at work. I really love Tiger, but something vexes me. Yes, now I'm horribly vexed.

I'm a graphic designer (the sole inhabitant of the art dept.), and all of my client files are on our G5 Xserve. I set my machine up to always be connected to the server, but spotlight doesn't seem to search there. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks,
jason

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
Hey, i'm a graphic designer too. I also work on a G5 that is connected to an xServe G4 though. ANyway, if you use the spotlight icon on the menu bar, it will not search the sever, but if you search from the Finder Window (which is now powered by spotlight) it will search there as well. Don't expect it to be fast though, spotlight only works on the indexed drive in your computer. If the server was running tiger, that might be different, but as far as i know, if it's not running tiger, spotlight is just a pretty "find". Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.