Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
T-Mobile is on pace to add 4 million additional customers within 1 year of its "un-carrier" strategy.

2Q: 1.1 million additional customers
3Q: 1 million additional customers
4Q: to be determined
1Q of 2014: to be determined

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ould-face-uphill-battle-regulators/2013-12-17

Additionally, T-Mobile has spent this year carving out a distinct identity under CEO John Legere as the "uncarrier," and merging with another operator would seem to fly in the face of that strategy. The strategy seems to be working as well--T-Mobile added 2.1 million total customers in the second and third quarter alone.

T-Mobile's success and SoftBank's acquisition of Sprint this year, along with Sprint's plans to deploy 2.5 GHz on a nationwide basis for faster TD-LTE service, likely validate the DoJ's reasoning that four national competitors make for a healthier wireless market in terms of competition.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Tmobile has managed to hit 300 LTE markets in less than a year while Sprint is still "rolling" out their LTE network over the past couple years and has been relegated to #4 in terms of LTE markets. Tmobile has basically made a mockery of Sprint with their ultra-quick wide rollout.

Nevermind that speeds on Sprint are the SLOWEST of all 4 carriers; 3G & LTE.

Um t-mobile just started rolling out 4g like what, this year? But they did most of it by simply buying metroPOS (not a typo) which is ironically an incompatible network, but it seems to be working out ok for them.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Um t-mobile just started rolling out 4g like what, this year? But they did most of it by simply buying metroPOS (not a typo) which is ironically an incompatible network, but it seems to be working out ok for them.

Tmobile's LTE network runs on the AWS spectrum, which they've always had. It has nothing to do with MetroPCS.

Yes Tmobile started rolling out their LTE network this year. It has taken ATT/Verizon several years to get to 300 markets, and tmobile has nearly reached that number in less than a year. Sprint is still dead last in LTE markets, and even their LTE (on average, some people here are getting decent speeds) are no better than HSPA 42+

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Tmobile's LTE network runs on the AWS spectrum, which they've always had. It has nothing to do with MetroPCS.

Yes Tmobile started rolling out their LTE network this year. It has taken ATT/Verizon several years to get to 300 markets, and tmobile has nearly reached that number in less than a year. Sprint is still dead last in LTE markets, and even their LTE (on average, some people here are getting decent speeds) are no better than HSPA 42+

Sprints LTE is a bit faster than Verizon's 5x5 network, even though tmobile started LTE rollout this year sprint started I believe last year and not many people have LTE.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yes Tmobile started rolling out their LTE network this year. It has taken ATT/Verizon several years to get to 300 markets, and tmobile has nearly reached that number in less than a year.
Several years? AT&T launched LTE around September 2011. They're right around 500 markets. VZW over that. That's a little over 2 years. They have more LTE than TMo has HSPA up (something they've been deploying for over 5 years)

TMobile? Doubling counting markets to up their count. I find it hard to believe their BS

Why are Boston and Cambridge counted separately? How about Dallas and Ft Worth?
juzehery.jpg

----------

Sprints LTE is a bit faster than Verizon's 5x5 network, even though tmobile started LTE rollout this year sprint started I believe last year and not many people have LTE.

VZW isn't running a 2x5 network ANYWHERE. All their deployment has been 2x10 on 700 and 2x10/2x15/2x20 AWS depending on the area.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Several years? AT&T launched LTE around September 2011. They're right around 500 markets. VZW over that. That's a little over 2 years. They have more LTE than TMo has HSPA up (something they've been deploying for over 5 years)

TMobile? Doubling counting markets to up their count. I find it hard to believe their BS

----------

ATT: 476+ LTE Markets. Launched in 2011. "Have more LTE than Tmo has HSPA+ up" lol thats hilarious. Most of AT&T's HSPA+ network is still HSPA+ 21; Tmo is accelerating its HSPA+ 42 network rollout as it acquires MetroPCS' spectrum.
VZW: 500+. Launched in 2010.
TMo: 250+ Markets. Launched in 2013.
Sprint: 300 Markets. Launched in 2012.

Okay so i was wrong, Sprint has more LTE coverage than Tmobile. But they sure took their sweet time deploying it.

Also it goes to note that VZW And ATT did not even reach 250+ markets like Tmobile did until the 2nd year of their LTE rollouts, while Tmobile has done it in less than 12 months. Nevermind that Sprint still has awfully slow LTE that is just as fast as HSPA+.

The only reason i have Tmobile is because i live in a city where Tmo has LTE coverage and AT&T has yet to deploy LTE here: Erie, PA. Pennsylvania's 4th largest city. And Its 10x10 LTE too. I get faster speeds than the VZ LTE peeps here. 35+ Mbps minimum. AT&T's HSPA+ is painfully slow as well. Here are some speed tests i did within the same day.

wBbDr3O.png

cex8Fzt.png

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
ATT: 476+ LTE Markets. Launched in 2011. "Have more LTE than Tmo has HSPA+ up" lol thats hilarious.
If you don't care to believe facts, then that's fine. I can drive from Maine all the day to DC and NEVER LOOSE LTE on AT&T and I do this drive often. TMobile? Most of the highways are EDGE/GPRS.

Most of AT&T's HSPA+ network is still HSPA+ 21; Tmo is accelerating its HSPA+ 42 network rollout as it acquires MetroPCS' spectrum.
That is incorrect. Please do some research before feeding everyone BS. They are using Metro's spectrum to increase their LTE bandwidth, NOT HSPA. In fact, they're cutting down the spectrum used for HSPA on AWS to get LTE up. Boston went form HSPA 42 to HSPA21, so there is space for LTE.

and YOU'RE IGNORING THE DOUBLE COUNTING MARKETS COMMENT. Please explain to me why Boston and Cambridge/Dallas and Ft. Worth are considered separate markets?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

----------

VZW isn't running a 2x5 network ANYWHERE. All their deployment has been 2x10 on 700 and 2x10/2x15/2x20 AWS depending on the area.

They don't list Chattanooga, TN in that list. But I get TMo LTE there.

paulyeo

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Everyone IGNORE AutoUnion39.

He only comes to T-Mobile threads and BASHES the company, worshipping Verizon and AT&T. :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Everyone IGNORE AutoUnion39.

He only comes to T-Mobile threads and BASHES the company, worshipping Verizon and AT&T. :rolleyes:

Its funny that everyone complains about my "bashing," yet has no evidence to refute my points. I'm telling it like it is. The TMo boys on MR are on par with the people on S4GRU. They dont like anything negative said about their beloved carriers. If anything is said, they start to complain, yet NEVER have any evidence to refute all the correct points I've said about T-Mobile.

Facts:

They're lying about the number of LTE markets they have.

They have less HSPA than VZW and AT&T have LTE and they've been deploying for over FIVE years.

They claim to only care about metro areas, yet leave one of the most traveled highways in the US (I95) from Maine to DC (for example) covered with EDGE and GPRS. When VZW and AT&T have no problems covering it with LTE

Extra AWS spectrum is no being used to put up HSPA. It is being used for larger slices of LTE. The end goal is to have HSPA on PCS and LTE on AWS.

Their network quality and reliability are significantly lower than VZW and AT&T

Their customer service is one of the worst in the industry

They have more 2G areas than anyone else out there

Major cities still have holes in them where one only gets EDGE

Nationwide 4g does NOT mean 4G in cities, it means everywhere. Even AT&T or VZW dont have the audacity to claim something like that.

I'm in Portsmouth NH for work.

Here's what TMobile is getting
5uzuja2u.jpg

Same location, with AT&T
juqu4ugy.jpg

Only time I get their "nationwide 4G" network is when I go into the middle of downtown

Last edited:

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Its funny that everyone complains about my "bashing," yet has no evidence to refute my points. I'm telling it like it is. The TMo boys on MR are on par with the people on S4GRU. They dont like anything negative said about their beloved carriers. If anything is said, they start to complain, yet NEVER have any evidence to refute all the correct points I've said about T-Mobile.

Facts:

They're lying about the number of LTE markets they have.

They have less HSPA than VZW and AT&T have LTE and they've been deploying for over FIVE years.

They claim to only care about metro areas, yet leave one of the most traveled highways in the US (I95) from Maine to DC (for example) covered with EDGE and GPRS. When VZW and AT&T have no problems covering it with LTE

Extra AWS spectrum is no being used to put up HSPA. It is being used for larger slices of LTE. The end goal is to have HSPA on PCS and LTE on AWS.

Their network quality and reliability are significantly lower than VZW and AT&T

Their customer service is one of the worst in the industry

They have more 2G areas than anyone else out there

Major cities still have holes in them where one only gets EDGE

Nationwide 4g does NOT mean 4G in cities, it means everywhere. Even AT&T or VZW dont have the audacity to claim something like that.

I'm in Portsmouth NH for work.

Here's what TMobile is getting

Same location, with AT&T

Only time I get their "nationwide 4G" network is when I go into the middle of downtown

And there it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.