Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obligatory Fake/Real Poll

• Fake

Votes: 261 77.4%
  • Real

Votes: 34 10.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 42 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
oh i am sure that notebook is coming....with a price of about $5000, to compete with Lenovo Limited Edition Leather-clad Thinkpad.

raykhrud

macrumors regular
Hsdpa

huh? Though I cannot really read or understand the last two features, this looks super cool. (Maybe I'm being obtuse but what's a programmable LCD keyboard? Like the optimus thing??)

The last one seems to list 3G, *something*, then 802.11x. Can't read the something in the middle though.

EDIT: I'm realizng the 120GB drive is a big reason to think its fake. Why would a faker make that up though? Perhaps they are faked specs that apple was using on purpose so others in the room wouldn't get the full lowdown? Hrmm...
HSDPA is European fast-speed 3G, even 3.5G standard. It was created by Nokia and presents in its recent phones, like Nokia N95 or E90.

mrparet

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
Interesting but would apple really need to test the real keynote, somehow I doubt it.

Steve Jobs rehearses the Keynote well in advance of the event. Although, I'm not sure if he practices at Moscone...

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
its obviosuly not the REAL presentation but could be a mockup presentation which they carry out.? If this is real it says flash BASE, maybe a harddrive AND flash. If this is true I cant see any reason for it not to be real. appel tablet has been hinted at by people for ages. Maybe this is the ultraportabe. but 10inch screen seems small. Maybe its the 10screen ipod with core 2 duo.:rolleyes:

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
FAKE!!! That screen looks WAY smaller than the one at Moscone West. Also the font is wrong. And it's green? And the spacing is wrong.

Um...everything is just "shrunk" a bit. The font IS correct...it's taken from a camera phone...and there's nothing wrong with the spacing.

I believe it's fake. But your reasons for believing so are absolute crap.

-=|Mgkwho

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I read it as:

Standard Features
120 GB Flash based drive
Intel Core 2 Duo
10" LED Widescreen
Programmable LCD Keyboard
3G HSDPA, 802.11n

The only major flaw is that flash (almost?) always comes in 2^n size multiples, which would make a 128GB drive size more believable. Still, the whole thing seems nice but likely WAY too expensive to be marketable. 32-gb flash drives are running about $300 OEM cost, so a 128 would probably be at LEAST $1000 for the drive alone. This would push the cost of the complete unit into the $3000 range, I bet.

Quite true, flash drives need to evolve further before the price drops into affordability range. kuebby, Clive, and icrew, you're quite right about the 128G proportion. Must be a 'test screen' after all....

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Don't believe it. 120GB Flash Drive? How freakin' expensive would THAT be??!!

Looks like a bored student at university had fun with an empty lecture hall and it's projector system.

Well what about using the ZFS file system to put multiple smaller flash drives together? ZFS would make it all appear as a single 120gb drive. I wouldn't imagine that it would be the most effecient way to do it, but it would certainly be more feasible and less expensive.

1000masks

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Chicago
What I love is that stuff like this always surfaces prior to big events. That someone would go through all this for us fans. Like just when one rumor dies down an ultra portable device other then the iphone appears.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
kuebby, Clive, and icrew, you're quite right about the 128G proportion. Must be a 'test screen' after all....

You would think that anyone who worked at Apple would know that it would have to be 128 to be remotely realistic. Unless it's just a low-level techie who made it... or some wishfully-thinking fiend on photoshop.

-Clive

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
You say the cost would be insane apple is putting out a smartphone in 21 days that costs $600 and yet you still are going to but it.

I read it as:
Standard Features
120 GB Flash based Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo
10" LED Widescreen
Programable LCD keyboard
3GHSDPA 802.11n

the last Line is too Garbled to read

Nice shot or Nice Fake

chuckiej

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2003
Fake. Apple use widescreen projectors.

Quite right. All of you are. The stage is nothing like we are used to - it can't be deep at all but Apple's stages are always quite deep. The projector is not the beautiful widescreen ones they use.

Looks like someone at another convention center set this up as a joke (while setting up for a smaller convention) and decided to post it.

paul.nord

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Message Text

Let's be clear about what we're all seeing in this image.
It seems to say:

1| Standard Features
2| 120 GB Flash based drive
3| Intel Core 3 Duo
4| 10" LED widescreen
5| Programmable LCD
6| keyboard
7| 3GhSdfa 802.11x

Or something like that.

Now... let's discuss this...

Line 2: Might say "130GB." Might say "One 30GB" or "120GB"
Line 3: Might say "Core 3 Duo" or it might say "Core 2 Duo."
Line 4: Might say "10 inch LED" or it might be "18 inch LED". Who would dare to call 10" widescreen?
Line 5: I have no idea what an LCD keyboard is. Sounds like a touch screen. Could they have put LCD's on each key of a traditional keyboard? Could it be a "two-screen" laptop... kinda like the Nintendo DS?
Line 7: Technical specs on a wireless card.

If line 4 says 10-inch then this is a super-mini laptop... or an iPhone on steriods. If it says 18-inch then this is the new iMac. Flashdrive prices have come crashing down. This description would match with the rumor of "striking new industrial designs aimed at leaving both competitors and onlookers smitten."

Or this could all be a great big pile of ...

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
2 problems

FCC and iphone.
would they launch this right before iphone coming? Last time there was a fake image, (ichat mobile) i believed they were real and I was wrong so i am saying that this is not gooing to ahppen but i do beleive the pictures ARE REAL but IT WONT happen.;)

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Well what about using the ZFS file system to put multiple smaller flash drives together? ZFS would make it all appear as a single 120gb drive. I wouldn't imagine that it would be the most effecient way to do it, but it would certainly be more feasible and less expensive.

There would be no way to do it cleanly or inexpensively. You would need a 64GB, a 32GB, a 16GB and an 8GB... four HDs... and a lot of space. It's not worth it to make it an even 120GB. At 128GB, you'd need two 64GBs or 1 mammoth 128GB drive (if they're even available).

Plus, if this is an ultra-portable, it's not meant for large capacities. I'd estimate that 32GB is all you'd *need* for a portable suppliment to your powerhouse computer.

-Clive

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
3| Intel Core 3 Duo

Line 3: Might say "Core 3 Duo" or it might say "Core 2 Duo."

Core 3 Duo doesn't even exist. Nor will it at any time in the immediate (WWDC) future. Besides, it's possible that Intel will migrate to all quad-core chips before Core 3.

...meaning it would be Core 3 Quatro.

...and if that's the case, it most-likely won't have a mobile platform yet.

-Clive

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
So. Totally. Fake.

I liked it better when they did stupid stuff like post G5 specs on a Power Mac G4 page.

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
anyone notice the highschool style curtains hanging around the stage, or the marshall entry level guitar cabinet and other band clutter? fake 10x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.