Square Enix Reverses Course on 'Deus Ex' Anti-Jailbreak Code

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday it was reported that users who purchased the new game Deus Ex: The Fall were unable to properly play the game on jailbroken devices because of an anti-piracy measure. Users were prevented from firing any guns, a key part of the game.

Today, Square Enix has apologized for not properly communicating that the game would not work on jailbroken devices and has announced that it will rectify the issue in a future software update, Eurogamer reports.

Publisher Square Enix issued this statement:
    Article Link: Square Enix Reverses Course on 'Deus Ex' Anti-Jailbreak Code
  2. macrumors 68030

They couldn't afford to antagonize such a large chunk of their customers.....
  3. macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2008
    Cudi Zone
    I dont understand why companies do this, as long as they are getting the money for the app. Can someone fill me in on how this works anyway?
  4. macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
    looks like our jailbroken devices can still fire...fire square-enix employees.
  5. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Jul 5, 2012
    The idea was to try to stop people from being able to side-load the app when a person hasn't paid for it... you know, theft.
  6. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    This fits well with my previous theory:

Now that they've had the free publicity (twice), they want to avoid the lost sales.

Makes sense.
  7. macrumors 65816

May 21, 2009
    Pretty sure the vast majority of app piracy was coming from installous, which got shut down.

Targeting every jail broken device with this kind of stuff is imprudent and juvenile. A lot of us jailbroken iPhone users are just your average Joe's when it comes to buying apps. I'd say I spend way more than the average on apps.
  8. komodrone, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
    jailbroken iphones can download and play the game illegally.

and apparently several people on macrumors misinterpret my answer for "OMG komodrone thinks all people that jailbreak their iPhones are pirates". frustrating. I'M JUST ANSWERING THE QUESTION.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2013
    Either they would reverse it, or some hackers would. Now they also have free publicity.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Nov 18, 2008
    There are many ways they can accomplish this without restoring to these kinds of tactics.

That being said, this comes too little, too late, I will not buy any of their games. The kind of mentality that has to exist to enact this in the first place demonstrates that the company does not really care about it's users.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2013
  12. macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2011
    Alpha Centauri A
    They realized that too many people were asking for returns. If they are asking for a return that means they actually bought the game. Then they realized "Wait, the jailbreakers are actually buying our game".
  13. macrumors member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah well PCs and Macs can download and play games illegally. That doesn't stop people making games for them! To assume that all jailbreakers are pirates is completely wrong.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

May 7, 2007
    Bad idea.

I'm not suggesting I have the right answer, but I know a wrong one when I see it and apparently so does the dev.
  15. macrumors member

May 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    All iOS pirates are jailbreakers, but not all jailbreakers are pirates.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007
    lol...users who wants to steal? :confused:
    i dont play this game but i fully support this myself.
    if they dont block, they should at least have a notice before the game starts
  17. macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2007
    Incorrect, you can co-sign apps and load them illegally on a non-jailbroken device.
  18. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2010
    Wow, chill
  19. macrumors 6502

May 19, 2013
  20. macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Most people who jailbreak do not jailbreak to pirate. I do believe though that most people who jailbreak do end up with pirated software on their devices.
  21. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2013
    Free publicity worked here

I'm quite a Deus Ex fan and I had no idea that this iOS game was coming out at all until I saw this very story right here.

I'm now searching it out to buy on my (non-Jailbroken) iPhone so if it was a stunt, it's worked at least once.
  22. macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    They did have one on the app purchase if but it looks like few bothered to read it before buying the game :D.
  23. macrumors member

Jan 18, 2012
    Even that doesn't make sense to me. You can just use programs like iExplorer to do this even on a non-jailbroken device...

Or you can make the purchase, go into support and click the oops button, and get your money back a few seconds later if you REALLY want to pirate.

This was a stupid move; glad they realized.
  24. macrumors regular

May 13, 2013
    Well if the app touches their servers in any way pirated copies increase server load with no payment. The pirated copies are stealing limited resources from the company.
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2004
    Total waste of time and money trying to play a decent PC game on a touch based device. I'll wait till the actual PC version is released. I can see why they would want to milk the mobile device world for as much money as they can get though. I just hope this is not indicative of the future of gaming. Playing FPS games on tablets sux big time. :cool: