Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
ouwz.png

Ordered last Friday, just came today via Amazon with ground shipping (FedEx + USPS).

Pretty quick.
IwBWow81JwATCgEIowESnyspAQCBACH5BAQFAAAALAAAAAAIAA8AAAdhgACCAAmCOoM4b4ccg0N8dQAZACgeAFUWIQ0DM3MKCGhQJ5NYKmgIB4MAHF4DgjtlZGolg2RYWGcoqYIXRAGDEiluZagAAxtQBUkZHRAAfnEAPQInL4MGJBEBkoIECg+qgQA7

iMeule

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I bought an Intel 320 series 120GB

Hi

I bought this SSD and want to install it in my MBP late 2008. But when I put in the drive and try to make a fresh install from a thumb-drive. It says that the drive is looked and I can't do anything with it?

Does somebody got any fixes for this?

The drive is the model: SSDSA2CW120G3 2.5". 3Gb/s SATA SSD 120G 5V 1A.

Greettings Benjamin.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
So if I put a drive into the optibay and an SSD into the primary slot will a time machine backup automatically back up both drives?

Kazamataz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Hi!

So over the Christmas period my mid-2009 MacBook Pro started getting the spinning beach ball of death. It seems and sounds like the hard drive is failing in an oddly temperature related way...(hangs once the drive gets warm?)

Anyway, I thought it would be a good time to put an SSD in, but have concerns due to rumoured oddities in the SATA subsystem for my particular model.

Apparently my model (5,4), shipped with 1.5 Gbps support, and later Apple released an updated EFI to allow 3.0 Gbps too. However, I've heard (via google) that:

- the updated EFI 3.0 Gbps is somewhat broken, with certain users only being able to work around it by downgrading their EFI or forcing 1.5 Gbps using a jumper on their hard drive, or by using a SATA cable from a 2010 MacBook Pro instead (rumoured shielding issue on 2009 cable contributing to 3.0 Gbps difficulties)

- that motion sensors on hard drives can conflict with Apples Sudden Motion Sensor.

Due to the above factors I decided that I could remove the SMS issue completely by going with an SSD due to them having no moving parts, so likely not having one! (sound ok?)

The SATA issue is still a concern however, so any light the community could shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated, as I feel like I'm at the point where searching isn't providing anymore insight to the issue!

So, (and my apologies for the long winded lead up)...can anyone recommend a robust solution for me for a new SSD with my particular model of MacBook Pro that will allow me to retain a stock setup on Mountain Lion? (256 GB is fine, 1.5 Gbps or 3.0 Gbps is fine too, primarily just don't want to spend my time fighting the software updater due to non-standard patches)

As I need to get back to work soon (I'm a software dev), it's either this or a shiny new iMac, but the most important thing is not losing too much time to incompatibilities and not having an unreliable setup.

All advice gratefully received! ;-)

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Just recently bought a mid 2012 cMBP 13" base model for $1000 and bought a 16GB ram and a crucial m4 256GB SSD with the money I save for buying at eBay. The machine is super fast now and I can really see the boost in performance.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi!
.... my mid-2009 MacBook Pro started getting the spinning beach ball of death. It seems and sounds like the hard drive is failing ...
All advice gratefully received! ;-)
Not all of those 2009 MBPs had that issue, and it seems there is no way to tell if you will have it until you swap the drive. I had one with the updated firmware that worked fine with SATA II Hitachi and Seagate HDs, but the Western Digital Blue wouldn't work right at all. I have seen reports of people using Crucial M4s in that MBP with no issues (of course the speed is somewhat limited due to the SATA II limit, but still much faster than a HD. You could buy a cheap external case, install the SSD in that and install the OS there, then migrate your data or just use CCC to clone the internal disk before it gets corrupted.
Have you checked to see if the firmware has already been updated to ver. 1.7 (SATA II)? Or is it still at ver. 1.6? (SATA I)? Google for how to check that.
There is a long thread on the forum about those issues, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/729883/.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Im getting a new MBP high end for christmas. I am thinking of getting 2 SSD and replacing them with the HDD and optical drive... any suggestions of SSD and RAM? Thanks!

Samsung 830/840/Pro
Crucial m4

RAM - any major brand - crucial, owc, etc.

Kazamataz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
...You could buy a cheap external case, install the SSD in that and install the OS there, then migrate your data or just use CCC to clone the internal disk before it gets corrupted.
Have you checked to see if the firmware has already been updated to ver. 1.7 (SATA II)? Or is it still at ver. 1.6? (SATA I)? Google for how to check that.
There is a long thread on the forum about those issues, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/729883/.

Thanks for the link and cloning advice. I checked the firmware a few days ago and it's definitely at 1.7, but I didn't realise how long ago it was released, so I guess I must have been running it for a long time without problems (I tend to update things a couple of months after they're released for safety). I'm starting to come around to the idea that I will just have to try and see what happens. Will probably do the following:

1) Order an external case, and either Samsung 830 or Crucial m4.
2) Use iPad VNC and my (headless) mac-mini to create a bootable USB key ML install.
3) Swap out the failing drive in the MBP to the external case and install the SSD.
4) install ML and pray!
5) Optionally replace SATA cable with 2010 variant if there are problems. Not sure where the best place to get one from in the UK is though...
6) Manually copy over data from the external to the SSD.

Thanks again for the help, here's hoping I don't have to perform any kind of voodoo to get it all working again! ;-)

stefano.sturm

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Bay choice

Hi everyone,

i've tried to read everything, but i'm still not sure about what to do.

I have a macbook pro mid 2012, just buy an Vertex 4 - 128gb and the adaptor.

Where do i have to put the SSD? in the main bay or in the optical? In some websites they speak about the motion sensor and that it's better to leave the hdd in the main bay and ssd in the optical, in others they speak about speed and reliability issues 3gb/s vs. 6gb/s.

Please help me and sorry for my bad english :)

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
Just got a 2009 2.26 Macbook.
It has the Nvidia MCP79 sata II controller.
I will buy a western digital black 750gb 7200 rpm hard drive.
I also want a SSD to put on the optibay and then do a DIY fusion drive.

What is the bet SSD to do that? In terms of reliability and performance with my SATA controller?

- Crucial M4;
- Crucial V4;
- Samsung 840 Basic;
- Kingston V+200;
- Kingston V300;
- OCZ Vertex 3;

Thanks.
Cheers!

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Hello,
Just got a 2009 2.26 Macbook.
It has the Nvidia MCP79 sata II controller.
I will buy a western digital black 750gb 7200 rpm hard drive.
I also want a SSD to put on the optibay and then do a DIY fusion drive.

What is the bet SSD to do that? In terms of reliability and performance with my SATA controller?

- Crucial M4;
- Crucial V4;
- Samsung 840 Basic;
- Kingston V+200;
- Kingston V300;
- OCZ Vertex 3;

Thanks.
Cheers!

I had an OCZ Vertex 3 because it could be locked into SATA2 speeds with an OCZ utility. It pretty much maxed out the SATA2 speeds so I can't imagine any of the others being any better.

If you want to put it in a future machine you may be concerned about theoretical max specs that are beyond the SATA2 spec.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I know I need a Torx T6 screwdriver and a Philips #00 one to swap out the HDD to an SSD.

I'm looking for a screwdriver with both heads in, is this one suitable? It has the T6, just not sure about the Philips head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008X0UST2

If it doesn't, what would you guys recommend? I'm in the UK, and as a student I'm after the cheapest possible screwdriver - I'm not expecting a lifetime with the screwdriver, or even a week :p

Thanks in advance!

pbnauro

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Yo Guys!
Anybody has problem with OCZ Vertex4 (256GB)? (cause S840 PRO to expensive for me, and I don't want a windows for firmware update)

servis za lapto

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
mini pci ssd

I saw manny new ssd drives in the form of mini pci card for laptops , did anyone try to install it in macbook pro ?

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi everyone.

I have Macbook Pro 13" 2011 i7 with 8GB of ram and I feel that I need an SSD to make this thing get better and faster!
Which SSD would you recommend? I mean I need it to be as reliable as HDD been this past year. No kernel panics or anything like that needed.
And I have a concern. I do a bit of torrenting (I know this is not good, but I buy iPhone/iPad apps and Mac apps, I really can't afford go to cinema once I want to see a movie. It is far from my house and I'm a student, can't go there to ofter for obvious reasons). Downloading some blu-rays will not damage a SSD? I heard that SSD's have certain write / read limit a day, or not?
But if I will have old HDD in drive bay, then I'm covered about torrenting issues.

Thanks for advice everyone!

P.S. Sorry, If I'm like 10536th one asking here for the same question.

Journeyman79

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Help needed!

Hi there, I'm looking for suggestions. Before I start tho, I'm in the UK!!!

Right, I have a 2008 first gen unibody MacBook Pro 15" looking to swap out the dying hdd for a ssd. Should I get Sata 2 or Sata 3? Also, does the drive need TRIM support (whatever that is). Anything else I should know about / be weary of.

Any help greatly appreciated!

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Hi there, I'm looking for suggestions. Before I start tho, I'm in the UK!!!

Right, I have a 2008 first gen unibody MacBook Pro 15" looking to swap out the dying hdd for a ssd. Should I get Sata 2 or Sata 3? Also, does the drive need TRIM support (whatever that is). Anything else I should know about / be weary of.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hello!
Your MBP only supports upto SATA 2. You can use a SATA 3 drive in your computer but you'd essentially be wasting money as your computer cannot take advantage of the SATA 3 speeds. If SATA 3 is all you can find, get it. I would recommend Samsung 830 series, Samsung 840 series, Crucial M4 or V4, or any Intel drive.

Trim can be enabled manually by using an app/patch called "Trim Enabler", which is free. ( <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler> )

Good luck,
Jay

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Hi everyone.

I have Macbook Pro 13" 2011 i7 with 8GB of ram and I feel that I need an SSD to make this thing get better and faster!
Which SSD would you recommend? I mean I need it to be as reliable as HDD been this past year. No kernel panics or anything like that needed.
And I have a concern. I do a bit of torrenting (I know this is not good, but I buy iPhone/iPad apps and Mac apps, I really can't afford go to cinema once I want to see a movie. It is far from my house and I'm a student, can't go there to ofter for obvious reasons). Downloading some blu-rays will not damage a SSD? I heard that SSD's have certain write / read limit a day, or not?
But if I will have old HDD in drive bay, then I'm covered about torrenting issues.

Thanks for advice everyone!

P.S. Sorry, If I'm like 10536th one asking here for the same question.

Hi! I figure I try my best to make my first advice in this thread a good one. For you, I'd recommend Samsung's 256 GB 840 SSD. To me, it's the best mix of speed and price - the Crucial m4 is a nice runner up but it can't match the price of the Samsung 840. It's a tremendously reliable SSD, and no, downloading blu-rays will not damage an SSD, nor do they have write/read limits in a day. If you go with the old HDD in the hard drive bay, you'll definitely want to check out OWC's Data Doubler, which is probably the most reliable hard drive mount available. Happy SSD'ing!

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi! I figure I try my best to make my first advice in this thread a good one. For you, I'd recommend Samsung's 256 GB 840 SSD. To me, it's the best mix of speed and price - the Crucial m4 is a nice runner up but it can't match the price of the Samsung 840. It's a tremendously reliable SSD, and no, downloading blu-rays will not damage an SSD, nor do they have write/read limits in a day. If you go with the old HDD in the hard drive bay, you'll definitely want to check out OWC's Data Doubler, which is probably the most reliable hard drive mount available. Happy SSD'ing!
Does it support that thing (which I don't really understand how it benefits) called trimm support or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.