Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There's an app to enable TRIM if your SSD supports it. I think that's about it. I actually came here wondering about TRIM enabler, I'd like to know what SSDs it supports and if there are any 3rd party SSDs that support TRIM natively yet?

The trim enabler app will work with any SSD. All it does is trick the OS into thinking the 3rd party SSD is an Apple Oem SSD. Apple still has not enabled trim on any 3rd party drives.

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
There's an app to enable TRIM if your SSD supports it. I think that's about it. I actually came here wondering about TRIM enabler, I'd like to know what SSDs it supports and if there are any 3rd party SSDs that support TRIM natively yet?

Would you recommend me getting the Trim Enabler app? Do I need it? Does it boost performance? Also, is that all I need to do or do I have to do some other stuff?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Would you recommend me getting the Trim Enabler app? Do I need it? Does it boost performance? Also, is that all I need to do or do I have to do some other stuff?

I would use it, it doesn't necessarily boost performance, but keeps performance from degrading with use.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I'll be getting soon a MBP 13" mid 2012 and was wondering if I would purchase a aftermarket ssd like this crucial model from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0FXPC9A6X9A6ZK4T0WRS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It's reasonably priced and it comes backed by a three year warranty. Is it a good fit for a MacBook Pro? Any other ssd model or brand that I should look out for? Money is tight for such an upgrade so I really couldn't afford a drive higher than 256gb by the looks of it...

ebrown17

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I'll be getting soon a MBP 13" mid 2012 and was wondering if I would purchase a aftermarket ssd like this crucial model from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0FXPC9A6X9A6ZK4T0WRS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It's reasonably priced and it comes backed by a three year warranty. Is it a good fit for a MacBook Pro? Any other ssd model or brand that I should look out for? Money is tight for such an upgrade so I really couldn't afford a drive higher than 256gb by the looks of it...
I second this question. I've been researching on setting up my Late 2011 15" macbook pro with dual drives and am just getting a headache.

I already have a momentus xt 750 gb. I want to find a good 256 gb ssd that I can add to it and remove my optical drive.

3 questions.
1. which ssd is worth buying ( i had thought the crucial m4 would be a good one but now I'm not so sure)
2. Do I want to put my ssd in the caddy and my Momentus in the oem hd slot or do I want to flip it? I've read about problems with the 2011 mbp optical drive connection not working with sata 3 drives.:confused:
3. When having two drives I obviously want to put all my applications on the SSD and all the content on the hd. Is there a guide on how to do this?
Thanks for the help!

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
AP80ezY.jpg

sammy 840 pro, 2012 mbp 13" i7

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I second this question. I've been researching on setting up my Late 2011 15" macbook pro with dual drives and am just getting a headache.
I already have a momentus xt 750 gb. I want to find a good 256 gb ssd that I can add to it and remove my optical drive.
3 questions.
1. which ssd is worth buying ( i had thought the crucial m4 would be a good one but now I'm not so sure)
2. Do I want to put my ssd in the caddy and my Momentus in the oem hd slot or do I want to flip it? I've read about problems with the 2011 mbp optical drive connection not working with sata 3 drives.:confused:
3. When having two drives I obviously want to put all my applications on the SSD and all the content on the hd. Is there a guide on how to do this?
Thanks for the help!
Answers: 1. The Crucial drive seems good, many satisfied users out there. I have had good results with an Intel 335, and many people on this forum rave about the Samsungs (I don't like the company nor the fact that they don't have Mac firmware updaters).
2. Quoted from OWC's HP:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/ *the data doubler optical bay drive adaptor
"Special compatibility notes related to use of this product with 6Gb/s SSDs in the following machines:
2011 MacBook Pro 15" (Model ID MacBookPro8,2)
• OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface in these machines may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface/link speed version your optical bay offers via the Apple System Profiler.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed. 

3. Use the SSD as you normally would for apps, system and most data, keep large files - especially compressed data files - that you don't use often on the HD, like movies and pictures, etc. If you look around, you can find guides to using links to folders on the HD, but I am not sure that is necessary.

view2darrel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
good day, i have installed crucial m4 256 gb SSD on my MBP 13" mid 2012 update the firmware before installing mountain lion. also enabled trim with chameleon ssd optimizer.

i didnt clone my HDD since its almost full. i didnt put it on my optical drive since i replace my HDD because of water dripping sound (i drop my mbp) and on my research could be HDD problem so i replace it with SSD (will monitor if still there is water dripping sound. since its work hour will try when i get home). i will only install my useful apps and get rid of my games so i did a clean osx install.

i have a question regarding putting my mac on sleep (closing the lid) ive read that doing this saves some sleep image so that i can resume when i open my mac. do i need to disable sleep? how to i do that?

also if there is something i need to do like setup would be much appreciated since im new to ssd and i like it to last long. thanks guys.

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
good day, i have installed crucial m4 256 gb SSD on my MBP 13" mid 2012 update the firmware before installing mountain lion. also enabled trim with chameleon ssd optimizer.
i didnt clone my HDD since its almost full. i didnt put it on my optical drive since i replace my HDD because of water dripping sound (i drop my mbp) and on my research could be HDD problem so i replace it with SSD (will monitor if still there is water dripping sound. since its work hour will try when i get home). i will only install my useful apps and get rid of my games so i did a clean osx install.
i have a question regarding putting my mac on sleep (closing the lid) ive read that doing this saves some sleep image so that i can resume when i open my mac. do i need to disable sleep? how to i do that?
You do not want to disable sleep, maybe just change the sleep mode. The normal mode writes a sleepimage ffile to the drive, and to save space that file can be deleted after changing the sleep mode to "zero" using the pmset terminal command (terminal is in the /Applications/utilities folder).
In the terminal shell, type "man pmset" and hit the enter key.
Shows all of the manual for the pmset command
You can also check which mode your Mac is in by running this command:
pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
pmset -g
will list all the current power settings/device settings.
1. set hibernate mode to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 (will ask for your admin password)
hibernationmode 0 is normal sleep, kept in ram nothing written to hdd
hibernationmode 3 is safe sleep, kept and loaded from ram, written to hdd in case of power loss
hibernationmode 25 is full hibernation, memory is written to hdd and then ram is powered off
--------------------------------
2. delete the unnecessary sleep file to regain disk space equal to memory (saves the same amount of disk space as your RAM, eg. 8 GBs), since hibernate is disabled

if you want to reclaim the space the hibernate file takes up (valuable on an SSD), you can use the Go to folder menu for that. The file is found in the /var/vm/ folder, and is named sleepimage. Reboot and simply delete that file,. Or use this:
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
The sleep image file is actually in /private/var/vm/ but /var/vm/ is a symbolic link to that location.
Optional: Create a blanked zero-byte file so the OS cannot rewrite the file (which can happen even with hybernate set to "0"):
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
Make the file immutable:
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

view2darrel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
hi david. thanks for all the info i really appreciate it. im kinda newbie here about ssd and not that kind of a techy guy.

my question is, once the

1. image sleep has written for example. i wake up my mac. it's still there?

2. when i shutdown and open my mac and before i shutdown. i put it on sleep then use it the shutdown and open . its still there?

3. if its still there , and i put my mac on sleep for the third time and fourth after awhile. does the sleepimage only takes 1 space which it overwrites the previous? or it takes another space?

sorry for many questions sir david. also if i put hibernation to zero. i put my mac on sleep. whats the difference of having an imagesleep file to none?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
hi david. thanks for all the info i really appreciate it. im kinda newbie here about ssd and not that kind of a techy guy.
my question is, once the
1. image sleep has written for example. i wake up my mac. it's still there?
2. when i shutdown and open my mac and before i shutdown. i put it on sleep then use it the shutdown and open . its still there?
3. if its still there , and i put my mac on sleep for the third time and fourth after awhile. does the sleepimage only takes 1 space which it overwrites the previous? or it takes another space?
sorry for many questions sir david. also if i put hibernation to zero. i put my mac on sleep. whats the difference of having an imagesleep file to none?
No problem :cool: . 1. and 2. yah the sleepimage file will still be there if you are using the normal sleep mode. 3. only takes one space, i.e., one sleepimage file.
If you set the hibernate mode to zero, and then delete the sleepimage file, it should not come back. However, some people have said it will come back in certain circumstances, which is why I posted that suggestion for making that blanked zero-byte file so it cannot be rewritten. Doing that will save the space taken up by the sleepimage file, which is the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. The other difference is that without that sleepimage file, if you lose power and run out of battery power and the machine turns off automatically, you will lose any changes to data not saved to disk and held in RAM before you put the machine to sleep (a rare case IMO).

view2darrel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
No problem :cool: . 1. and 2. yah the sleepimage file will still be there if you are using the normal sleep mode. 3. only takes one space, i.e., one sleepimage file.
If you set the hibernate mode to zero, and then delete the sleepimage file, it should not come back. However, some people have said it will come back in certain circumstances, which is why I posted that suggestion for making that blanked zero-byte file so it cannot be rewritten. Doing that will save the space taken up by the sleepimage file, which is the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. The other difference is that without that sleepimage file, if you lose power and run out of battery power and the machine turns off automatically, you will lose any changes to data not saved to disk and held in RAM before you put the machine to sleep (a rare case IMO).

thanks you sir david. you are a lifesaver. i just put hibernate to zero. and will do the blanked-file also. you explain it very clearly. my Ram is 16GB so it will take that big space. you really help me today. many thanks sir

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
thanks you sir david. you are a lifesaver. i just put hibernate to zero. and will do the blanked-file also. you explain it very clearly. my Ram is 16GB so it will take that big space. you really help me today. many thanks sir
Glad I could help. :D I got almost all of that info from various posts on this forum - great place huh? :cool::D:cool:

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I will have to scratch the purchase for that crucial drive since it went up in price. I am eyeing a SSD from OWC in its stead. A 240 GB Mercury Electra 6G to be precise. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX6G240/ It's a whole lot more expensive but the reviews seem to give them a "better" performance.

Anyone have had any experience with this particular drives ? Thank you for your time.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I will have to scratch the purchase for that crucial drive since it went up in price. I am eyeing a SSD from OWC in its stead. A 240 GB Mercury Electra 6G to be precise. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX6G240/ It's a whole lot more expensive but the reviews seem to give them a "better" performance.

Anyone have had any experience with this particular drives ? Thank you for your time.

Good deal here from newegg:

256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) $214.99 + Free Shipping
256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) $214.99 + Free Shipping

Newegg [newegg.com]
For those interested:
256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) [newegg.com]
$214.99 + Free Shipping
Promo Code: EMCXVV23

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Good deal here from newegg:

Newegg [newegg.com]
For those interested:
256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) [newegg.com]
$214.99 + Free Shipping
Promo Code: EMCXVV23

My issue is I will not be using Bootcamp to run Windows due to its limit size and I wont otherwise be able to update things like the firmware via OS X as far as I know of this drive. Its the reason I have not thought about it much.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Hello.

Right now my set up is a classic Macbook pro (mid 2012) 8 GB RAM 15" and I've switched out the OD to an Optibay with my regular disk (750 GB (7200RPM)) in that place and and Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB as my main drive. Works nice but not perfect. I try to organize my stuff but I'm a musician and have to have some stuff on the SSD to feel secure when I'm on stage with my computer.

Now I'm thinking about getting another SSD disk as my main drive and have my 128 GB SSD as an extra in the optibay.

So I'm thinking, I'll go samsung again (any objections?.
I've already decided that I'll have to go with the Pro model if I go with samsung.
The big question is 512 or 256? Right now I have more stuff on my computer than 256+128, but I'm (always..) thinking that I'll clear it up some day and get rid of all the junk, like recordings that I'll not need in the future / cancelled productions.

Will the 512 GB drop in price a lot soon? I can afford it right now but it's expensive.
I'm guessing October is their next refresh (850 series?).. I don't know why I would wait but maybe the prices are lower?

I just need a fast computer and I want/need to be available to organize stuff, (is there like a guide on how to have your computer clean from all the junk? It sounds silly but I need it. haha)

Okay this post was a bit messy but I hope you still could understand most of it and help me get convinced over what SSD I should purchase next. I'll read this thread a little better tomorrow.

Btw I live in Sweden so I can't order stuff from newegg and such.
Here the cheapest SSD 512 GB costs $580 - and the 256 costs about $300

I could probably handle with 256 if I learn to organize, so that stuff about a organizing guide for computers.. I was serious.

If I buy 512 I'll probably not use all space, but that's a good thing right? huh?

But I'll go so crazy if I bought it for $580 and one month later it's down 1-200 $.

okay let me hear your ideas about my thinking.

(Edit: I was a bit drunk when I wrote this but I hope you get me anyway)

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hello.

Right now my set up is a classic Macbook pro (mid 2012) 8 GB RAM 15" and I've switched out the OD to an Optibay with my regular disk (750 GB (7200RPM)) in that place and and Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB as my main drive. Works nice but not perfect. I try to organize my stuff but I'm a musician and have to have some stuff on the SSD to feel secure when I'm on stage with my computer.

Now I'm thinking about getting another SSD disk as my main drive and have my 128 GB SSD as an extra in the optibay.

So I'm thinking, I'll go samsung again (any objections?.
I've already decided that I'll have to go with the Pro model if I go with samsung.
The big question is 512 or 256? Right now I have more stuff on my computer than 256+128, but I'm (always..) thinking that I'll clear it up some day and get rid of all the junk, like recordings that I'll not need in the future / cancelled productions.

Will the 512 GB drop in price a lot soon? I can afford it right now but it's expensive.
I'm guessing October is their next refresh (850 series?).. I don't know why I would wait but maybe the prices are lower?

I would seriously suggest the 500GB SSD 840. I don't see why you would need the Pro model, especially given that the price difference is so big. It's just under $400 from Amazon.co.uk (shipping is included and no customs since we're in EU):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Ser...7CEE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361960297&sr=8-5

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
the crucial M4 512GB has dropped to $360 @ Amazon. Should I get that or wait for the newer M500 series? What do you guys think, you know more about this stuff than I do.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
I would seriously suggest the 500GB SSD 840. I don't see why you would need the Pro model, especially given that the price difference is so big. It's just under $400 from Amazon.co.uk (shipping is included and no customs since we're in EU):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Ser...7CEE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361960297&sr=8-5

I record a lot of music That's why I'm thinking of the pro..

And I don't understand these stuff that well but MLC vs TLC seems like a big difference since the warranty is 5 vs 3 years.

But maybe I could settle with an 500 GB. Probably I could. Is there no real advantages to pick the 512 GB over the 500 GB?

Last edited:

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Worth mentioning, I also use my computer on stage when I perform. So I need to rely on my computer 110%.

Found the 840 500GB even cheaper than amazon in sweden, but still would like to get a better view on what I gain on getting the Pro over the standard.

And I found the 512GB Pro for $575.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.