Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafruit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Hello, I recently bought a new MacBook because my old 2012 model was crashing every few minutes.

I have since taken the SSD out and put it in an external caddy, however the SSD in the caddy is still crashing every few minutes. I get the "this drive has not been properly ejected" notification. I have been trying to copy a few files off it at a time but it's time consuming and I'm worried about it failing completely. I know some files are already corrupt.

I have tried the basic first aid in disk utility which doesn't seem to have helped.

Does anyone have any ideas for things I could try? To stop it shutting itself off? I'm not sure if its a hardware failure and there's nothing I can do or if maybe it somehow became corrupted in the old Mac and there is some kind of potential fix?

It's my own fault for not backing up but it's all pictures of my 2 year old so I'm really grateful for any advice. I've been googling a lot but can't find the answer.

HDD was a cheap one off Amazon (also my fault) incase it makes any difference: TCSUNBOW SSD 1TB 2.5 Inch SSD SATAIII 6GB/s Up To 560MB/s .

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Which caddy? Which cable? Old varieties of both can be problematic with new Mx Macs.

Was it the boot drive of your old MBP? Was the crashing caused by the drive?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Tough one... perhaps the SSD is overheating. You can remove it from the enclosure and try using an adapter like this -

hafruit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009

hafruit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Tough one... perhaps the SSD is overheating. You can remove it from the enclosure and try using an adapter like this -

Thank you I will look into this. If it was overheating would running with the back off the hard drive enclosure help? and could it really overheat in 10-15 min?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
If it was overheating would running with the back off the hard drive enclosure help? and could it really overheat in 10-15 min?
Seems unlikely it would overheat that fast. You could test this by taking the cover off and pointing a fan at it.

The other thing you could try would be plugging the enclosure into an older Mac, in case there's a compatability issue (maybe a friend has one). Just make sure you're friend's Mac is fully backed up before you do this. Or it could be the enclosure. Or it could be the SSD itself.

Reactions: hafruit

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're trying to move your data from the old SSD to "somewhere else", this is what I'd recommend.

First, get ANOTHER drive that you know is good. Don't buy an "off-brand" drive.

Then, download CarbonCopyCloner from here:

CCC is FREE to use for 30 days, I believe. It will do what we need to do.

Now...
Connect both the old SSD and the new drive.

Open CCC and accept the "defaults" for now.

Put the source drive (the old one) on the left.
Put the target drive (the new one) on the right.
Ignore "scheduling" -- we don't need it.

Then, click the "clone" button.

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN:
CCC is going to create a "clone" (exact copy) of the source drive onto the target.

BUT... CCC has a special feature that even the finder doesn't have (when copying files en masse):
That is... if CCC encounters "a bad file", it keeps right on going, trying to copy all the good files. (by contrast, the finder would just "quit"... and leave you stranded)
And... if CCC gets disrupted (such as an unwanted disconnection)... when you restart it it should pick up just where it left off before.

The goal is to get all your salvageable data OFF the old drive, and onto the replacement.

Again, CCC is FREE to use for 30 days.
That should give you time to do what you need to do.

Good luck.

Last edited:

hafruit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Just a wild guess:

Possibly a disk scam? Actually capacity is not the advertised/listed capacity
Haven't heard of this but it was a cheaper drive so wouldn't be surprised! Maybe I'll delete some big files and see if it helps!

BUT... CCC has a special feature that even the finder doesn't have (when copying files en masse):
That is... if CCC encounters "a bad file", it keeps right on going, trying to copy all the good files. (by contrast, the finder would just "quit"... and leave you stranded)
And... if CCC gets disrupted (such as an unwanted disconnection)... when you restart it it should pick up just where it left off before.
Thank you I've had a go with Chronosync which sounds similar but that doesn't pick up from where it dismounted so this sounds like a better option!
Thanks I think it might be more the actual hard drive than the operating system/Mac version but I will try downloading the Amphetamine app mentioned and see if it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.